Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali 180 manual average MPG?

N

Nighters

VIP Member
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone with a Cali 180 manual could tell me what their average miles per gallon is?

Thanks,
Paul

I average about 28mpg.

Because of their size and weight, averages will vary a lot depending on driving style and types of road used. When driving through France recently with bikes on the rack, mpg dropped to around 24. I don't dawdle though :smile

Thanks for the reply, I trying to decide between the 140 and the 180.

I was getting 38 from my 180 DSG on the M6 a couple of weeks back!!

I think the difference is quite marginal and lower HP doesn't always equal lower Mpg as the engine has less torque and therefore has to work harder.

After all you are for instance going to see perhaps 5/6 mpg more from the 140ps over the 180ps.

Say you do a week away and 1000 miles in that week.

140 + 38 Mpg = Approx. 26 Gallons

180 + 32 Mpg = Approx. 31 Gallons

What's fuel at the moment, say £1.42/Ltr therefore x 4.54 = £6.45/Gallon.

Your extra cost could be £6.45 x 5 = £32 when your overall spend is £168/£200

You can further break that down to 3.2p/mile extra for the 180ps.

In truth I'd say the margin is closer than that as I've seen late 30's on a long run in France with a new and tight engine so a few miles under it's belt and it could get better.

If Mpg is your only concern and not the additional cost of the 180ps then take the 180ps IMHO.

Thanks Stu, that made my mind up 180 it is

I'm glad I was able to help. :laugh2

I do find people often get a little hung up on Mpg and fail to quantify what it means to them in real terms.

If the average person does 10k miles per annum, and to be honest lots of Cali's don't then overall it's still only just over £300 a year based on my conservative figures. Everyone is different and if you go tearing up the tarmac in either it will drink juice.

I will be racking up the miles in my Cali as it will be my main vehicle but thats cool with me.

I think your right that the actual difference between the two is not much.

We've found the 140 is juicer as you have to work it more. That's why next year all of our California's will be 180's :D

On a side not I had a renter bring back a 180DSG today, with a full tank and a range on the OBD of 710miles! He said he had been playing the mpg game and seen 45mpg on the way back to us!

Its not just max bhp, its how its delivered. Two turbos means a flatter torque curve and less time outside the power band.

I do find our 180 4motion thirsty but its gets worked hard and its a heavy beast. Ask painfully slow motorhome owners what they get - usually very low 20s at best.

Getting give it some stick and just over 30 be a cruising fellow at the 70 mark and I'm getting 37-38 the moment but the engine still tight as hell ... :)

They really loosen up by 20,000 miles and there is a noticeable difference/increase in economy. The kombi I run, does 20k in under 12 months, and is nicely loosened up by the time I sell it :D

Don't know what all the fuss is about :barmy

Decided to take the bus to work today for a change, 105 miles trip on Motorway and A roads.

Actual peak was 41 but it dropped off a little when I came off the Motorway.

Consumption.jpg

Cool thanks Stu.

I went for a 140 in the end. I test drove one and was happy with the drive and figured i would save some money and time and get the one they had on order.

Hopefully couple of weeks and it will be ready to pickup/

Nighters said:
Cool thanks Stu.

I went for a 140 in the end. I test drove one and was happy with the drive and figured i would save some money and time and get the one they had on order.

Hopefully couple of weeks and it will be ready to pickup/

nice one ......it will be a long few weeks my friend ,but worth the wait ... :D

Stu said:
Don't know what all the fuss is about :barmy

Decided to take the bus to work today for a change, 105 miles trip on Motorway and A roads.

Actual peak was 41 but it dropped off a little when I came off the Motorway.

lol - come on Stu when did you press the button? :thumb

Actually I do believe you - on a run there should be no reason why it doesn't hit 40. I've only got the Bluemotion up to 48 on a long run which probably shows the margins for fuel economy between the models in real world driving are probably not as great as people think.

What I would say Stu is, have you ever thought of colour DIS? lol

James

Custard said:

Actually I do believe you - on a run there should be no reason why it doesn't hit 40. I've only got the Bluemotion up to 48 on a long run which probably shows the margins for fuel economy between the models in real world driving are probably not as great as people think.

James

All genuine mate although I will X ref it with my next fill up as I always do :thumb

Colour DIS?? Nooo, no need. :laugh2

:laugh2
Stu said:
Custard said:

James

All genuine mate although I will X ref it with my next fill up as I always do :thumb

It's impressive at 40mpg - would make the choice for me between 140 and 180 that much bit harder.

James

:laugh2
Stu said:
Custard said:

James

It's impressive at 40mpg - would make the choice for me between 140 and 180 a little bit more difficult.

James

choplee said:
Think James should colour DIS the beach :)

It's the cost and the coding... It would not be unique but it stops being a van you could have specced in the UK and that leaves it in a bit of a no mans land.

My remit to mods is simple 'you could have ordered the van from the factory like it'.

I would only consider it if, the price was a bit cheaper and importantly I saw another T5 up and running with colour DIS.

£600??? That's a set of decent seat covers or two alloy wheels!

Or a 510 sat nav, talking of which....

James

On a long run in my 2008 130 (the 'older' 5 cyl engine I usually get 32 - 34 - mpg cruising at around indicated 75. The newer engines I expect are more economical. But the mileage you actually get depends on so many variables - long gradients pull it down quite a bit, headwinds also, even road surfaces can influence what you actually see on the gauge . . . .

To illustrate, I regularly make the journey from S Yorkshire to northern Lake District - up the A1(M) to Scotch Corner, I usually get 34, sometimes more if trafic flow slow. But then over Stainmore form Scotch Corner, the average drops to 30 on the long gradients and wind exposed roads - but I do enjoy maintaining speeds up the hills and leaving the motorhomes behind. So a lot depends on circumstances as well as driving style I expect.