Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying an inverter to use for higher wattage items

I

Isa Neal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi I need some advice, what's the maximum bought inverter wattage I can plug into a cigarette socket on the Cali- I'm not talking about the one built into the Cali which works off hook up.
I really want to be able to run my Nespresso machine and a microwave when off hookup. I can see here are some inverters available to plug into a cigarette socket that can go up to 1500watts but will that cause any problems or work?

DSG 180 bought in March 2012 lots of niggles but lots of fun!

Hi Isa Neal

In my experience with inverters the highest that you can safely run straight from a cigarette socket are about 300W. Even then the socket will definitely warm up when being used. The sort of thing that you can plug into these are phone/PC chargers etc. So really nothing more than the inverter that is already installed in your Cali

To fit anything bigger it will need to be wired directly to one of your batteries using 6mm or 10mm cable dependant on the power of the inverter that you buy.

Big inverters draw a huge amount of power from the battery and will flatten them in no time at all. They also place large loads onto the battery which will considerably shorten its life span too

To decide what size inverter you require you would need to look at the power consumption of what ever you want to plug into it. Microwaves are especially confusing as the power of your microwave my be say 800W but that is the output power. If you look on the appliance you would probably find that the input power (which is the figure that you need to work from) would be say 1000W. In this case you would need an inverter that had an output of more than 1000W as otherwise it would be working flat out all of the time.

I hope this helps but in answer to your question - No you cannot buy an inverter that plugs into a cigarette socket to run high powered appliances

I'd expect it (or indeed multiple of them) to be fused with a 20a fuse so that's less than 250W

I fitted a 1000w inverter to my splitscreen. At that current you need something like 16mm diameter power cables to the battery (difficult to route) and large capacity batteries to get any run time (you get less than an hour out of a 80aH battery!). The unit I fitted was 8"x8"x8" but also included a charger and automatic changer (in essence it was a uninterruptible power supply minus a battery)

I.e. no it won't work unless you connect directy to the leisure batteries. You'd also want to check the gauge of existing cable connecting the two leisure batteries as they'd each be providing ~half the current to the inverter.

Simon

As above really. Also the higher wattage the more drain on the leisure batteries
By the way the built in inverter runs of the leisure batteries not hook up. So you can run upto 150w from that :thumb

Thanks Guys that's very helpful so without EHU it's cafetere or filter coffee and forget the microwave! :thanks

For (so close to you cannot tell the difference) espresso coffee without the fuss and expense may I recommend the aero press

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

We bought one for home. Now have one at work and in the Cali too. Our espresso machine now sits sadly in a cubbard waiting till the winter when it is used to make hot chocolate.

MichaelB said:
For (so close to you cannot tell the difference) espresso coffee without the fuss and expense may I recommend the aero press

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

We bought one for home. Now have one at work and in the Cali too. Our espresso machine now sits sadly in a cubbard waiting till the winter when it is used to make hot chocolate.

Yes they are great little gadgets, I also have one.