Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a Cali Abroad

P

pbrown150

I am about to buy a cali. Decided to cast the net a bit wider and look abroad as I am intending to take it to the continent and don't mind a LHD. Found a website (http://www.ooyyo.net) which purports to be selling Cali's at considerably less than the Cali's for sale here. As I understand it it is then about 57 quid to register in UK. Am I missing something? Has anyone done this or does anyone have any info about this or any reasons as to why it would/wouldn't be a good idea. Also, while I'm on, anyone think it nuts to take a baby and a 3 year old away in a Cali?

pbrown150 said:
I am about to buy a cali. Decided to cast the net a bit wider and look abroad as I am intending to take it to the continent and don't mind a LHD. Found a website (http://www.ooyyo.net) which purports to be selling Cali's at considerably less than the Cali's for sale here. As I understand it it is then about 57 quid to register in UK. Am I missing something? Has anyone done this or does anyone have any info about this or any reasons as to why it would/wouldn't be a good idea. Also, while I'm on, anyone think it nuts to take a baby and a 3 year old away in a Cali?

Where do you want to start. lol

It's not as simple as registering with the DVLA - although that in itself is quite straightforward. You will need to pay duty any on Cali imported and that will be dependent on how the vehicle is classed, over I think 5000 km, it is classed as second hand. A simple google search will take you to the relevant website.

If you are planning to register in the UK then you will I assume looking to insure it with a UK insurer, you'll need to make sure your Cali has an alarm - they're not standard on LHD Cali's. Also, the warranty is 2 years in Europe (I think), not three as it is here.

If you weren't planning to travel to Europe you'd also have to change the headlamps and the rear fogs and make sure the speedo was set MPH - this probably wouldn't be too difficult because LHD Cali's have an electronic speedo in the DIS which could be set to MPH.

There is a company in Holland which may be worth contacting. They supply LHD Cali's and can give you some advice, they also have c;aim to have a way round the duty cost but I would be wary of this but if you want their details I understand they are very helpful.

Despite rumours saying otherwise a LHD Cali will probably cost you more, depending on whether you buy new or secondhand. New LHD Cali's in the bigger european markets have lot less equipment to start, the difference is that there are far more options and more potential to personalise your Cali.

It's been discussed on here before about LHD and if you are travelling round Europe it would seem a good idea. A LHD Cali has the proper Multivan dash which I think is a vast improvement but that is down to personal taste. You'll be also driving a vehicle as it was intended.

There are various companies that supply LHD vehicles and companies that will import a vehicle for you obviously at a charge.

I have had a quick glance at the website - I am not sure that those Cali's are any cheaper than a UK Cali, not once you factor in import costs and UK insurance is likely to be higher for a LHD vehicle. It's a bit hard to compare because in Germany there isn't a like for like spec with a UK Cali. There is a potential to get something that is cheaper and it is worth remembering that German buyers choose things different to UK buyers, for example, xenons are pretty common. But, also remember this works the other way. See a Cali with nice electric seats which aren't available to UK Buyers, they won't swivel as the electric function prevents this. You really have to examine the spec on a German Cali. Also there is a broad range of engine options and this affects price. The Edition Vans with the white kitchen unit can also fetch a high price.

Might be worth looking at www.volkswagen.at in google chrome - their car configurator converts to english so you can spec up a Cali and get a feel and idea of options.

If you look at http://www.mobile.de you'll see some nice Calis. :)

James

pbrown150 said:
I am about to buy a cali. Decided to cast the net a bit wider and look abroad as I am intending to take it to the continent and don't mind a LHD. Found a website (http://www.ooyyo.net) which purports to be selling Cali's at considerably less than the Cali's for sale here. Has anyone done this ? Also, while I'm on, anyone think it nuts to take a baby and a 3 year old away in a Cali?

Hi there I don't know about buying a vw cali abroad but while you're investigating find out about even buying A RIGHT HAND CALI there as well because that may also be possible. My bother-in -law went to Germany (about thirty years ago) and bought a Mark 1 Golf R.H.D. much cheaper than you could get it in the UK.
Re your kids and camping. When my wife and I were younger we took our first boy tent camping in Cornwall and he walked his very first steps on a sloping field there at the age of 12 months.
We camped with a tent every year with him and also his (3 years) younger brother when he came along until they were about 8 and 5 years respectively when we 'moved up' to campervans
a COMMER INVINCIBLE (converted by a bloke in Catford called Vince Irwin)
So to answer your question my advice is ..... "just go for it" for what it's worth you've got my blessing.
Good luck and best wishes
Eric the Viking :hello

James that is a fantastic reply. I clearly have my homework cut out for me. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Eric. Just the words of encouragement i needed.

Back