Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee

There were loads of reports on the forum every few days it seemed a few years on roof canvas being caught and cut appears far less now. Possible new owners are more aware today. I used one back in 2013 but found it still doesn't prevent the need for checks and good practice so as @EddieEagle says it will still happen on a windy day, (esp by the sea I have found). I have cut mine up and tied between the to 2 safety net anchor points for in the raised roof and use as a small washing line.

I haven't used a bungee for 13yrs no problems.

Why does none of the 3 Calis on the banner above have a bungee -
answer - because they look crap :)

I wouldn't park next to a Cali with a bungee, its a sign that the owner might
be really incompetent. :D
Thank goodness for that.:Iamsorry

I had a bungee on Albert for 4 years. Did no harm, neither did it stop me trapping the canvas.

Trapping the canvas gave me the kick up the backside I needed to stop being so complacent and to go back to relying on Mk1 eyeball.

I have never had a bungee on Alfie and so far never trapped the canvas either. I have also never neglected that last 20% "leap out and check all is well' look along the van before closing tight and locking the roof.

One of those "yes it helps, is not infallible, at the end of the day it's down to user care" things.

Last edited:
I’ll bring the Brains, SA .:thumb:thumb
You bring that gear -whatever it is- and i´ll do your welsh
cheese on toast, i´ll do the music stuff and i can supply a
bottle of Balvennie double wood for @ArunAlec who thinks that
he would´nt like to camp next to me but he would.
It will be great.

It will be great.

Known locally as “ Skull Attack “.

Known locally as “ Skull Attack “.
I like it. Only clicked on the website and it looks
like i need to try it.

It will be great.
Still I am convinced that when we get out of agreements, we end up fighting all over the campsite, argueing about that Chinese multimedia system I have installed. :happy

In my experience they are no guarantee of not trapping canvas.
I had a lucky escape from a scissored bellow when , with bungee in place, just thought I’ll get out and check roof half way down. A nice chunk of canvas was lined up for a chop. It was a windy day and as in best practice had downwind windows open yet still trapped material..
I have given bungee away and now put head in roof space to check as lowering..
It does look a lot cleaner without them too .. IMHO.

That is also my recommend way how to lower roof. Manually check and pull canvas if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cheaper version to a bungee it's called ' The wife ' when I press that button for the roof to go dn she checks that the canvas folds in! We did have a close shave of the canvas getting ripped as

Continued ( flaming kindle) the canvas fold s out but we were lucky with just a small knick from it catching the folding metal arms

Incompetent, surely you meant cautious, otherwise that would be rude?
I haven't used a bungee for 13yrs no problems.

Why does none of the 3 Calis on the banner above have a bungee -
answer - because they look crap :)

I wouldn't park next to a Cali with a bungee, its a sign that the owner might
be really incompetent. :D
Why do people take out breakdown cover? Why do people put seat covers on from new? Why do people take out Fully comprehensive Insurance? Why do people have dash cams? Why do people have a bungee for the roof?
Because they choose to..Its like saying i wouldnt park next to a 13 year old california because its old. Sometimes sh1t happens

Its like saying i wouldnt park next to a 13 year old california because its old
Ha Ha, if no one ever parked next to me i would be a happy chappy.
My 13yr old still looks as good as the first day it fell of the production line.

Why do people take out breakdown cover? Why do people put seat covers on from new? Why do people take out Fully comprehensive Insurance? Why do people have dash cams? Why do people have a bungee for the roof?
Because they choose to..Its like saying i wouldnt park next to a 13 year old california because its old. Sometimes sh1t happens
I've re-read your post and i don't really understand where your coming from.
To link scallywags post and mine.
Having a bad day Peter or just feeling mischievous.

Hi
I have just got a 2017 Cali T6 Ocean. Do I really need a bungee for the roof. It has the new straps which supposedly pull the roof canvas in without the need for a bungee. Should I fit one anyway?
I’ve fitted a bungee to my T5 after pinching the canvas in the scissor arms a few times. It usually happens in blustery weather. They’re only £12 ish so a cheap solution to holes in the sides!

Never had the feeling I need one.
If you open at least 1 door, and check the front of the canvas while closing the roof, there will be no problem.
The back and side always fold the right direction, the front, because of the height, might sometime go the other way, but you grab it, and pull it inside and nothing is wrong.
Never had a failing fold up in the last 9,5 years.

But if you think you might need it, feel free to buy one. I am not going to stop you.

I have a bungee, but with a strong side wind I still managed to trap the canvas side and buckle the roof.

I also have not yet been persuaded of the need for a bungee, despite an early newbie pinch of the canvas in the scissor arms. My concern is will short/long term use, with the inevitable abrasion of the canvas roof material, lead to a reduction in water resistance and leaks and wet spots inside. Would be interested in peoples real life experience, happy to have my concerns proven groundless. I ask because I have also not found the need for an external topper in our journey so far.

Over 9 years of use. Never pinched my canvas. Tried it once with my cali topper.
Resprayed it with waterproofing, but with a topper, it is not really needed.
Although, I have a second canvas, as the first one was replaced when repairing the roof rot. They must have torn the canvas, or at least the rubber that holds it in place on top and bottom.
Must say, the newer canvas (not the T6 plastic) has less light intrusion, so better for me for sleeping.

Hi
I have just got a 2017 Cali T6 Ocean. Do I really need a bungee for the roof. It has the new straps which supposedly pull the roof canvas in without the need for a bungee. Should I fit one anyway?
NO

I recebtly bought one for my T5, mainly because the dealer suggested it and I figured better be safe then sorry, for those few bucks. But to be honest, never had a problem closing the roof safely without it.