Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
I have just got a 2017 Cali T6 Ocean. Do I really need a bungee for the roof. It has the new straps which supposedly pull the roof canvas in without the need for a bungee. Should I fit one anyway?

Hi
I have just got a 2017 Cali T6 Ocean. Do I really need a bungee for the roof. It has the new straps which supposedly pull the roof canvas in without the need for a bungee. Should I fit one anyway?

I did on my 2017 ocean. Doesn’t look essential, but I thought “better safe than sorry”.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I did on my 2017 ocean. Doesn’t look essential, but I thought “better safe than sorry”.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
+1 - I don’t have a bungee on my T5 but every time I’m closing the roof I think...’I should have a bungee on’. I’m sure 99 times out of 100 it wouldn’t be necessary when closing the roof but that 1 time, I’ll wish I had just bought one!

Never had the feeling I need one.
If you open at least 1 door, and check the front of the canvas while closing the roof, there will be no problem.
The back and side always fold the right direction, the front, because of the height, might sometime go the other way, but you grab it, and pull it inside and nothing is wrong.
Never had a failing fold up in the last 9,5 years.

But if you think you might need it, feel free to buy one. I am not going to stop you.

+2 I’ve fitted one from new and in MHO it does help and I’m in the camp of as a newbie to the modern California why not (I’ve slready started to lower roof without windows open before I realised so it’s an extra help to me)

When you are putting the roof down in a hurry, in the dark in the early hours of the morning you'll be glad you bought one. At the price they are one of the cheapest extras you can buy.
The new Cali poptops do fold in much better than the previous ones, but an unexpected gust of wind can easily push the fold outwards. It's not going to do any harm, and it could save you some anguish later.

They do work, especially if you get a gust of wind come along whilst lowering the roof which is what happened to us. I just wish we had bought one before the canvas got damaged

In my experience they are no guarantee of not trapping canvas.
I had a lucky escape from a scissored bellow when , with bungee in place, just thought I’ll get out and check roof half way down. A nice chunk of canvas was lined up for a chop. It was a windy day and as in best practice had downwind windows open yet still trapped material..
I have given bungee away and now put head in roof space to check as lowering..
It does look a lot cleaner without them too .. IMHO.

If you open at least 1 door, and check the front of the canvas while closing the roof, there will be no problem.
The back and side always fold the right direction
No they don't, ask all the people with holes by the scissor mechanism.

Then I must have very special bellows.
Just a single time with a lot of wind can get the front side out of balance too.
I have never experienced scissoring of my bellows, so I must be the single lucky one.

I haven't used a bungee for 13yrs no problems.

Why does none of the 3 Calis on the banner above have a bungee -
answer - because they look crap :)

I wouldn't park next to a Cali with a bungee, its a sign that the owner might
be really incompetent. :D
Incompetent, surely you meant cautious, otherwise that would be rude?

I haven't used a bungee for 13yrs no problems.

Why does none of the 3 Calis on the banner above have a bungee -
answer - because they look crap :)

I wouldn't park next to a Cali with a bungee, its a sign that the owner might
be really incompetent. :D
Thanks for the tip....... I’ll make sure my bungee is visible!

I've had a bungee for 7 years, and it has worked well.
Interesting to note that the quality Eriba caravan pop tops also have a bungee and they are manual closing.

We have not experienced any staining and I just feel better safe than sorry