Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Budget hints and tips. Might have to cancel my first road trip. Too expensive :-(

Btw, don’t listen to some of those loonies avoiding the tolls. Avoiding the tolls in some parts of Europe makes a few hours journey turn into a day drive.
Tolls are a marginal cost - but they are still an optional cost as there are alternatives. It is not "loony" for someone on a tight budget to consider reducing or eliminating them. £150 is the cost of three meals for four out at a small family run restaurant.

Big ticket items are ferry, campsite costs and meals out. You can have just as much fun at a 12 Euro per night campsite as at a 40 euro per night campsite.

Hi @MarkVw2017 --- you might cut costs dramatically (& possibly even have a better holiday) if you just get a return trip to Santander/Bilbao & not bother with France.

My reasoning is

1) Spain is much cheaper than France for most things (e.g. Diesel, Supermarket food, camping). The difference in price of supermarket food is very significant -- for example we found a supermarket grocery shopping trip that cost us 140 euros in france was something like 80 euros in spain for an equivalent basket of groceries. The quality of fresh produce in Spain is fantastic.

2) I think Spain is more relaxed for "wild" camping than France and you will have more options. Generally we found Spain more relaxed and I think you would find loads of interesting places along that southern border of the Pyrenees between Santander and Saolu.

3) Driving up through France will cost you the same in Diesel/tolls etc as the Santander ferry so no cost saving there. (especially when you have to add in the cost of the channel crossing (reflected in your budget, and my previous calculations)

Also, doing fewer miles (i.e. Santander/Bilbao to Salou return) will give you a much more relaxed holiday so you will come back more refreshed and not have spent so much. I reckon avoiding France, cooking for yourself, and staying at cheaper campsites you could have a really nice time within your budget.

That's my 2p worth -

Last edited:
If i was to set a budget before leaving home , i'd simply not go .
You never know what will happen , what if you flatten a tyre or get fined for speeding in the first week ? Return home becose no money?
You are worrying and overthinking to much imo.
Was it not you that was saying needed to cancel the orderd Cali also a while ago ? Seems you did got it so why asking yourself this question now again about taking this trip worrying to much up front? Just go ahead , take the risk of ending up with no penny on return , you than can say : we did it !
That is not good advice to someone on a limited budget.

Look at the costs, decide what is essential, desirable and a luxury and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
And maybe the comparison with flights + hotel shouldn't be brought up at all. The Cali is not for saving money. You'll break even at best if you take into account everything.
The Cali is about a different type of holiday, one that you don't need to book weeks or months in advance but one you can decide the day before. The Cali is about having a bedroom and kitchen always with you, with your mattress, sheet and pillows, not ones that thousands people have slept on before.
The Cali is about opening the door and feeling grass under the feet, it's about being in the fresh air, it is about kids having an insane amount of fun because they can sleep up top and they can play "house" together with the parents for a couple of weeks non stop 24/7 with this van made to be a house.
And you always have a second(first?) car available as a bonus.

I thought youd written a great 'Cali' poem there :);).....and I couldnt agree more..

1) Spain is much cheaper than France for most things (e.g. Diesel, Supermarket food, camping). The difference in price of supermarket food is very significant -- for example we found a shop that cost us 140 euros in france was something like 80 euros in spain.

Food is definitely cheaper in Spain. I'm not convinced that camping is cheaper though.

Price_levels_for_4_subcategories_of_food%2C_2018_%28EU-28%3D100%29-December_update.png

The Cali is not for saving money. You'll break even at best if you take into account everything.

This is true.
A California holiday is a different sort of holiday and not for everyone...

Don't get too hung up about how far you drive and how many countries you visit. Thats not what it's about.
Its about what you discover and the enjoyment and adventure doing so.
I went an hour from home last year for a weekend and had a fabulous few days away.

To me, comparing touring around the continent in a Cali, with all that offers to see new things and experience some of the finest scenery and culture the world can offer, with a week holed up a package holiday hotel, is comparing apples and pears, completely different.

But also, Cali travel using the most expensive ferry crossings, covering large toll-route distances and staying in Euro style campsites, is bound to be expensive, in a way that pottering around the wild country is not. We enjoy both modes, but they're bound to involve very different spends.

What about an adventure closer to home? How old are the kids?

You can go to magical places around the UK and make your own fun if they’re young enough, like go to Loch Ness and secretly set up a Loch Ness monster’s nest with big rocks for “eggs”. Weave in some magical story telling and you’ll create memories that last forever.

Geocaching is a great hobby if you like solving problems and hunting for “treasure” And good fun for all ages.

Spend a little money on some all weather clothes. Get the kids involved with the cooking and do it outdoors as much as you can. Let the kids go a bit feral and get them involved in planning activities.

Needs a lot of energy, so if you’re looking for a leisurely chill out and guaranteed sun it may not be for you.
Good plan, but was just so excited going abroad

1. Use the Park4night app and it will cost you nothing to camp.
2. Don't use toll roads. You'll have a more relaxed drive, find more places to stop and explore. Rural France on the B roads is glorious. Watch the speed limits though.
3. There are some good deals on the ferries if you book at this time of year. Pick a very early ferry as they are usually much cheaper.
4. Don't use petrol in a Beach. It will prove expensive to fix.
Well picked up @Borris diesel of course :thumb

Plan your food, take some things with you, weetabix for example take a big box and you have loads of breakfasts sorted. Take some pasta and sauces, rice and tinned curry from Aldi tasty and cheap. Shop in supermarkets whilst you are away and do not eat out. We Have been to Europe in July and August for the last four years each time for three to four weeks and we’ve only once spent more than £3000 and that was this year and mainly because we went to Switzerland. Going in May you’d save a packet on campsites.
Thank you very much, :)

Good plan, but was just so excited going abroad
You could end up spending more in this country and not have the weather! If you aren't careful / lucky...

It's exciting to go abroad. Remember that it's the van experience though and not so much where...

Hello Mark

Hope you‘ll find some good hints here!

As far as I see is the ferry crossing the most expensive part (and one of that parts that would show up staying at „home“?).
Where are your situated? Is ferry crossing to „lets say“ Calais a bit cheaper and then drive down a couple of days and spend some time wherever (in May you probably find some good places to go and not yet crowded).

Diesel is around 1.29€ in South Germany/Munich, in CHF 1.62 at the moment. We made the experience that Germany and Austria offer good value for the prices (food and campingwise). Also Croatia, Italy and Slovenia are always on our list, when we‘re looking for sun, sea and lovely food and people.

What about staying in the drive of some friends/clubmembers to save some €? I am pretty sure you would find a lot of members offering their parking in front of the house.

Would be a pitty if you have to cancel your trip. Maybe adjusting a little bit and off you go!

Keep my fingers crossed!
Take a return trip Dover to Calais - £480 saving
Only stay at ACSI Camping Card sites which include children for 12/14/16 Euros per night France or 16/18/20 Euros per night Spain - £465 saving
Stay off toll roads - £150 saving
Cook six meals a week and eat out just once a week, you can easily feed a family of four on 20 Euros/day, meal out 50 Euros - £480 saving
Budget for one paid excursion up to £50 per week - £150 loss
Amazing @Amarillo AMAZING

I agree with saving a ferries etc.. but all this talk of eating wheatabix every morning and buying cheap food from Lidl is not the point of a holiday, the point of holidays for us includes the food as much as travel. Trying local cuisine is a big part for us.

We have proved many years that a holiday in a Cali abroad is always more expensive than a package so we tend to do both now as slumming it in the Cali for a week you sometimes need a holiday to recover when you get back

Like @kp64zl said, weigh up the cost of the Santander ferry (return) with the saving costs of fuel, overnight campsites, tolls, each way and the reduced stress of the long drive and it may become more attractive...

edit - I'd be inclined to shorten your trip to save some cash rather than skimp on food or entertainment, a short, memorable, fun holiday is better than a stressed about keeping everyone happy within a budget holiday.

edit 2 - I'll maybe take that back - That is if the campsites / food is expensive, otherwise you've spent the same on the ferry and once home will be spending on food / entertainment anyway... Doh!

Last edited:
Dear Cali Gurus,

THANK YOU!!

Once again, this forum has shown why it is absolutely amazing and a major reason why I bought a Cali. The support and friendliness is second to none!

I've not been fortunate enough to meet any of you but you still go out your way to give in depth replies and share your wisdom, all I can say thank you to all who posted on this thread!! I would love to meet you all one day!

Some absolutely brilliant advice which I cannot tell you how much I appreciate.

My wife says a massive thank you to you all as well and can't believe the replies and help!!

We have decided we bought the Cali to have adventures, so after all your advice, going to cancel the Spain route and go around Northern France and get it down to a week, will be well within our budget and we can still eat well, maybe even out at some restaurants and have fun days out with the kids.

I'm now currently in Starbucks looking at Dover ferries and North France campsites. So still very much in road trip holiday mode thanks to you all.

We are going in May so if any of you are in Northern France that week, let me know and I will happily make you a bowl of Weetabix for breakfast and a glass of water, you taught me well wise ones :D

Once again, a massive thank you! :embarrased

Dear Cali Gurus,

My hopes of my 1st European road trip in May might end before I have started due to overall costs already spiralling out of control and I'm gutted.

It's slowly dawning on me these road trips are an expensive hobby (I assumed Campervan, = low cost but fun hols)

My plan was a 3 week holiday/ road trip;
A ferry to Santander, then to Salou and then drive home via France but already I'm calculating I would need a budget of £3k and that seems bare minimum, possibly £4k.

Does anyone have any hints and tips to get this right down as might have to tell kids, sorry kids, road trip is cancelled. Back to camping!

Gurus, please show me your might and wisdom!

My basic workings on a piece of paper for two adults and two children;

£560 ferry one way to Santander
£180 4 nights in Salou
£350 petrol
£150 tolls
£100 AA COVER
£50 travel insurance
£1050 (£50 spends a day which includes food)
£600 (£40 a night campsite for 15 nights, rest stealth camp)
£80 Ferry Calais to Dover

Total £3,120k :talktothehand

Not even calculated any days out with my budget :sorry

For comparison, just looked at TUI, 2 weeks half board for 4 of us £1.7k in Spain in a 4 * hotel. What's going on? Are my road trip adventures dashed before theyve even started?

Any advice would be wonderful. It will be my only holiday so really want it to be like a lovely holiday as well, as I will be working my bum off to save for this money. I'm not even sure if £50 per day for food and spends would even be enough?
If you go online to Brittany Ferries and take the friend of a Member (Club Voyage) option you can use my Membership details to get 10% discount. My discount info. -- Grant F93981.

Cheapest crossing is to Le Harve but big toll to get over the Seine.
Caen route avoids tolls until Nantes using A84 via Rennes. Ferry costs vary by time of sailing. New pricing coming in soon so not fully up to date on pricing.

If you go online to Brittany Ferries and take the friend of a Member (Club Voyage) option you can use my Membership details to get 10% discount. My discount info. -- Grant F93981.
You realise that there's going to be 100's using your discount code now! :thumb Just joking - handy info there, thanks

Also you can spread some of the cost pay for your ferries now. Get a toll tag for France and or Spain and they get taken a month or so after you get home.

Sounds like a good decision to start with a shorter holiday in Northern France. You soon learn that France is a big place with loads to do and see.
If you are not already aware of this, if you shop at Tesco and collect voucher points you can use them on Eurotunnel at triple the value, ie £10 of vouchers gives £30 off at Eurotunnel.

Edit I see SallyW was 1 minute ahead of me at Tesco :)

Dear Cali Gurus,

THANK YOU!!

Once again, this forum has shown why it is absolutely amazing and a major reason why I bought a Cali. The support and friendliness is second to none!

I've not been fortunate enough to meet any of you but you still go out your way to give in depth replies and share your wisdom, all I can say thank you to all who posted on this thread!! I would love to meet you all one day!

Some absolutely brilliant advice which I cannot tell you how much I appreciate.

My wife says a massive thank you to you all as well and can't believe the replies and help!!

We have decided we bought the Cali to have adventures, so after all your advice, going to cancel the Spain route and go around Northern France and get it down to a week, will be well within our budget and we can still eat well, maybe even out at some restaurants and have fun days out with the kids.

I'm now currently in Starbucks looking at Dover ferries and North France campsites. So still very much in road trip holiday mode thanks to you all.

We are going in May so if any of you are in Northern France that week, let me know and I will happily make you a bowl of Weetabix for breakfast and a glass of water, you taught me well wise ones :D

Once again, a massive thank you! :embarrased
You can always get a pain au raisin and a coffee if the weetabix isn’t enough.

You can always get a pain au raisin and a coffee if the weetabix isn’t enough.
That's already my regular Cali treat, smell of crossiants warming in ridge monkey & coffee steaming is a pure treat, cannot imagine how nice they would be in France

There are loads of people who live in vans on a super tight budget -- just take a look at the climbing community e.g. around El Chorro (near malaga) - who are living on a fraction of the money being discussed here over longer periods. Fair few people in the Llanberis area doing similar....

We very much enjoyed our stay at this campsite in Northern France:

The owner is particularly hospitable

Back