Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken External Electric Hookup Socket

D

Dobbyboo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

We collected our new Cali a couple of weeks ago and this afternoon I decided to connect her to the mains. Unfortunately the external electric hookup socket is broken. The bit you connect the hookup cable to had snapped away from the socket.

It was obviously tested somewhere prior to delivery and damaged. Either at VW or at the van center.

A bit of an issue as we can’t connect the camper to an electric hookup until the socket is replaced either under warranty or paid for by the garage.

Whoever damaged it tried to hide what they did so as you can imagine we’re not very happy.

Does anybody know how easy or difficult it is to replace the external socket? It looks like the issue will be getting to the back of the socket to disconnect the wires as the socket is behind the water tank.

At the moment nothing rattles and I’m worried once somebody starts taking units out they won’t fit back properly and start to rattle.

Apart from this issue we are loving owning a camper.

Thanks

It is all done from the outside, there are 4 screws
under the flap.

Hi,

10 minute job sounds fantastic news. When I looked at the socket there appeared to be no slack in the electrical cable so I can’t work out how I will be able to disconnect the wires from the socket.

When I remove the 4 screws with funny heads will the socket then pull out with the electrical cable attached?

There must be accidents where people drive off with the hookup cable still connected. I was really careful to make sure this didn’t happen by putting a towel over the stearing wheel so I wouldn’t drive out of the garage dragging the house with me. Didn’t need to worry as I couldn’t even connect the cable.

So I don’t have to spend a day going to a VW garage where can I get a new connection socket from?

I hardly slept last night worrying our lovely new Ocean would have to be dismantled.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Westfalia I was typing a response as you replied.

Sorry another daft question, what are those funny screws called. I will need to go a purchase the right screwdriver.

Remember there is no such thing as a daft question, its the person asking the question!

The dealer seems to be blaming us as they apparently tested the socket before handing it over.

I looked at the socket during the handover but didn’t check to see if it was damaged. Whoever broke it pushed everything back together so it wasn’t obvious.

The dealer where we got the Cali is 4 hours away.

The nearest dealer to us is 90 mins away.

I’m annoyed for not spotting it during the handover as it’s difficult to prove it wasn’t us that damaged it.

I was also worried it would be a massive job and the Cali would need to go away for a couple of days.

Thanks

Good point.

It a difficult situation as if the dealer broke the external socket it probably isn’t a warranty issue, it’s something the should fix at a cost to them.

The dealer has been fantastic to deal with so I’m hoping everything will get sorted. I tend to always think the worst when something goes wrong.

Thanks.

Sorry another daft question, what are those funny screws called. I will need to go a purchase the right screwdriver.

Remember there is no such thing as a daft question, its the person asking the question!

Mine is T20 Torx (bit/screwdriver set required). I replaced mine after the flap failed, got feed up of watching it flapping about in my mirror on motorways. Its a 10 minute job but like Loz says your dealer should fix under warranty.

If you feel down the cable you will find a plug and socket under the foam ani-vibration cover. This can be pulled apart. The earth cable is longer so you should be able to change the socket easily. Just a screw driver needed for the connectors on the back of socket, like a 13amp plug.

I agree you should get it done under warranty. Then there can be no complaint from the dealer if something else occurs with the hook up system which they have to deal with further down the road. The dealers are adept at avoiding work/cost if they can.

Alan

Last edited:
They probably pulled the plug out without pressing the release. Dealers usually are nice when you are spending money with them. The test is when something goes wrong.

The dealer hasn’t let me down and have agreed to replace the socket.

Its a mystery how it was damaged but I can now relax as it will be repaired by VW.

Very good service as this could have been tricky.

Thanks for all your replies.

If you are desperate you can change the VW connector for a generic one from a caravan parts supplier as the hole and screw locations are the same. I know the cost would be on you and the item would not be under VW warranty but it would get you by even if you change it for a genuine one later.

I've not tried but I don't think there is a sound on the beach. One to test this weekend perhaps. :)

There is a warning ping on the SE/Ocean if hooked up, but it only does it when the cable is live.

Alan

There is a warning ping on the SE/Ocean if hooked up, but it only does it when the cable is live.
Same as when you drive off with the roof up ‍:talktothehand

Even on the Beach? I'm sure I moved the van a few inches forward to test and I didn't hear anything or see a warning? I am concerned that one day I'll forget and drive off while it's hooked up at home in order to charge the leisure battery.
I've not tried but I don't think there is a sound on the beach. One to test this weekend perhaps. :)
No Control Panel, as on SE/Ocean, then no audible warning.

Back