Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Brompton Recharging

Blackbrogue1962

Blackbrogue1962

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Order recently placed for our new Cali. As a recently retired couple with plans to travel UK/Europe, we are considering buying 2 x Bromptons - an electric one for my wife and a regular C line for myself. My specific question is whether it is possible to charge the electric Brompton battery on the move from the Invertor or a 12V socket? From what I can find out on the various websites the Brompton charger is rated at 2A and I believe the 6.1 invertor produces 300W. I’m not sure if this means they are compatible? I presume that it would be possible to use one of the 3 pin sockets when hooked up, but the ability to charge independently would be super useful. Any other general advice about Bromptons and Cali also appreciated, appeal is being able to avoid using an external bike rack and (as a keen cyclist myself) to scratch the Brompton itch!

Order recently placed for our new Cali. As a recently retired couple with plans to travel UK/Europe, we are considering buying 2 x Bromptons - an electric one for my wife and a regular C line for myself. My specific question is whether it is possible to charge the electric Brompton battery on the move from the Invertor or a 12V socket? From what I can find out on the various websites the Brompton charger is rated at 2A and I believe the 6.1 invertor produces 300W. I’m not sure if this means they are compatible? I presume that it would be possible to use one of the 3 pin sockets when hooked up, but the ability to charge independently would be super useful. Any other general advice about Bromptons and Cali also appreciated, appeal is being able to avoid using an external bike rack and (as a keen cyclist myself) to scratch the Brompton itch!
If the Brompton mains charger is 2 amps at 240 volts then that = 480 watts. So no good for the T6.1s 300 watt mains inverter.
Will work fine on Mains Hookup using the kitchen unit mains socket.
Do Brompton sell a 12v charger?
You will need an additional power source to charge the Brompton off grid.
Solar panels + 12v charger or larger inverter.
Or a standalone Lithium battery power pack that can be recharged when driving or via Solar panels.

If the Brompton mains charger is 2 amps at 240 volts then that = 480 watts. So no good for the T6.1s 300 watt mains inverter.
Will work fine on Mains Hookup using the kitchen unit mains socket.
Do Brompton sell a 12v charger?
You will need an additional power source to charge the Brompton off grid.
Solar panels + 12v charger or larger inverter.
Or a standalone Lithium battery power pack that can be recharged when driving or via Solar panels.
I have an electric Cube ebike and also an electric Brompton (a Cytronex electric conversion, not a genuine Electric Brompton - been there twice, returned both). I’ve charged both bike batteries successfully using the invertor socket on my T6.1.
My Brompton Cytronex charger is also a 2amp, but says on it that it draws from 230v just 84w. My Cube (Bosch) charger is a 4amp charger but says it draws from 230v only 1.65amps.
As said, I’ve charged both successfully using the socket while driving - but @WelshGas bowing to your superior knowledge of all things California I now wonder if I’m doing damage!

I have an electric Cube ebike and also an electric Brompton (a Cytronex electric conversion, not a genuine Electric Brompton - been there twice, returned both). I’ve charged both bike batteries successfully using the invertor socket on my T6.1.
My Brompton Cytronex charger is also a 2amp, but says on it that it draws from 230v just 84w. My Cube (Bosch) charger is a 4amp charger but says it draws from 230v only 1.65amps.
As said, I’ve charged both successfully using the socket while driving - but @WelshGas bowing to your superior knowledge of all things California I now wonder if I’m doing damage!
Would need to see the full specs of the chargers.
But Volts x Amps = Watts,

Would need to see the full specs of the chargers.
But Volts x Amps = Watts,
Thank you @WelshGas, photos of chargers are below. I appreciate this is slightly veering away from the OP’s topic, but your advice may help the OP and others too

Cube/Bosch chargerIMG_3165.jpeg
Brompton / Cytronex charger
IMG_3164.jpeg

Thank you @WelshGas, photos of chargers are below. I appreciate this is slightly veering away from the OP’s topic, but your advice may help the OP and others too

Cube/Bosch chargerView attachment 114966
Brompton / Cytronex charger
View attachment 114965
4amp Charger uses 240 x 1.65 = 395 watts.
Provided the battery was not fully discharged the onboard 300 w Inverter would work but probably at close to maximum capacity and could get hot.

The 2nd charger 240 x 2 = 480 watts.
Once again it will work provided the battery is not fully discharged but once again it will be at the maximum for the onboard inverter.

Both will work from the onboard 300 watt charger provided the battery is not fully discharged.

We have Brompton’s with the Swytch electric kit. We’ve just used them for 4 weeks in France and powered the charge off the normal camping site source. We bought a eurohike mobile mains kit with three, 3 pin sockets and comes with a 240v site plug.
It worked without a problem.

I would get a plug monitor and see what amps the charger actually pulls. It might be like usb phone chargers, phone pull what they need not whats on the USB charger.
Something like this, just picked the first one I could see, not recommending it.

Electricity Usage Monitor Power Meter Plug Backlight Energy Monitor Plug Watt Meter 8 Modes, UK Socket Power Monitors Power Consumption Meter Large LCD Display Consumption KWH Amp Volt Meter Outlet https://amzn.eu/d/9BD1dOl

4amp Charger uses 240 x 1.65 = 395 watts.
Provided the battery was not fully discharged the onboard 300 w Inverter would work but probably at close to maximum capacity and could get hot.

The 2nd charger 240 x 2 = 480 watts.
Once again it will work provided the battery is not fully discharged but once again it will be at the maximum for the onboard inverter.

Both will work from the onboard 300 watt charger provided the battery is not fully discharged.
The second is slightly more nuanced than 240V x 2A

This charger has a working input voltage of 100V - 240V. It is likely the 2A draw is at the lower end of the input voltage range so typically 200W peak power and likely more in the 100W range. Modern SMPSs will usually accurately current limit so the depth of discharge of the battery should not be a factor.

But nobody can really tell without putting it on the bench and loading it up.

The second is slightly more nuanced than 240V x 2A

This charger has a working input voltage of 100V - 240V. It is likely the 2A draw is at the lower end of the input voltage range so typically 200W peak power and likely more in the 100W range. Modern SMPSs will usually accurately current limit so the depth of discharge of the battery should not be a factor.

But nobody can really tell without putting it on the bench and loading it up.
Is the second not 84W, as written on it?

Assume 90% efficiency = approx 95W average input. You don't know the power factor and what waveform(s) were assumed in the design.

It sounds reasonable to run on the inverter. Sticking it on the bench would be informative though since it's guaranteed not to perform as a resistive load.

Output is 42v x 2A so 84w in and well under 300W inverter, unless I’m being a bit dim.
That is the output of the charger. One would presume the required Input from the Inverter would be similar, and hence OK, but it does depend on how efficient the Charger is .

Thanks for all the replies, can see that it’s not clear cut. When we test ride the electric Brompton I’ll endeavour to find out what is written on the charger. Also attracted by the idea of the socket that can ascertain the power drawn by the charger. My main concern is not to damage the inverter or circuitry on the Cali.

Thanks for all the replies, can see that it’s not clear cut. When we test ride the electric Brompton I’ll endeavour to find out what is written on the charger. Also attracted by the idea of the socket that can ascertain the power drawn by the charger. My main concern is not to damage the inverter or circuitry on the Cali.
More likely to goose the charger than the inverter. Most chargers have the watts written on them so as long as it is under 300, rule of thumb, be fine. The latest 6.1 has, apparently, a flat sine wave, so less likely to damage devices. The reality is lots faff on about this but spend most of their time on ehu. In which case it’s a moot point.

If you're interested I'm selling my 3 speed at the moment for £800

20230908_172142.jpg

If you're interested I'm selling my 3 speed at the moment for £800

View attachment 115062
Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. We’re a long way away in Edinburgh, plus my wife and I haven’t been for a test ride yet so unsure of what models were after. Probably electric C Line for my wife and a regular 6 speed for me.

Hello,
Did you ever get an answer to the charging the electric Brompton please, I have one and a T6 Cali and would love to know if I can charge off grid as I spend most of my time wild camping.

Many thanks,

Kirstie

Hello,
Did you ever get an answer to the charging the electric Brompton please, I have one and a T6 Cali and would love to know if I can charge off grid as I spend most of my time wild camping.

Many thanks,

Kirstie
My Brompton charges fine in my 6.1 California on the inverter socket

My Brompton charges fine in my 6.1 California on the inverter socket
Yes, I saw your post, just wondering if the T6 and T6.1 California have the same inverter power, knowing me, I'll fry the insides of my campervan!

Kirstie

Yes, I saw your post, just wondering if the T6 and T6.1 California have the same inverter power, knowing me, I'll fry the insides of my campervan!

Kirstie
The T6.1 has a larger 300w inverter. Yours has a 150w Kirstie.

Back