Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Black Forest: Kirchgarten vs Munstertal

Heather

Heather

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello... I am contemplating an end of summer trip to the Black Forest/ Switzerland. I am trying to decide if I should stay at Camping Kirchgarten or Camping Munstertal. Facilities look very similar. I plan on doing a lot of sightseeing via public transport, so if anyone has been to the area, is there any difference between train and bus service?

Hi Heather, not sure if you are travelling with children. We stayed at Kirchzarten last August and were a little disappointed with the site, it was very busy but the pitches were extremely close together. We had very little personal space and found the place was very popular with Dutch families who obviously were regulars and took over the site a little too much.
On the plus side there is a great municipal pool next door and restaurants, shops and supermarket nearby. We caught the bus to Freiburg which is lovely. The station/line was closed for upgrades so couldn't use the train.
We tried to book Munstertal first but it was booked up, looks a bit classier imo.

Thanks Larry... we do not have children but plan to use the train frequently. Having the line closed is a big negative. I have a site tentatively booked at Munstertal (need to pay deposit) and want to make sure it is the right choice.

I can only get one of their smallest pitches, which should probably be ok for the Cali...

Can only write about Kirchzarten (went there once in spring, summer and autumn). Summer: Do not go if you do not like crowded places with children, dogs and caravans. Spring: Nice place to stay and start the camping season, it depend when but chances are high to be crowded (Easter wknd). Autumn: Lovely place, only one facility open, not crowded at all, enough space.
Trainstation should be okay now, or you just drive to Freiburg with your Cali. Nice parking garage in the center (next to the Mercure).

Thanks Larry... we do not have children but plan to use the train frequently. Having the line closed is a big negative. I have a site tentatively booked at Munstertal (need to pay deposit) and want to make sure it is the right choice.

I can only get one of their smallest pitches, which should probably be ok for the Cali...

I’m staying here also at the beginning of August. Seems a very popular site as the Kat II and III pitches and private bathrooms are fully booked for the month.

@Alied, it does seem to be a popular and nice site. I have heard it is close to the train though and that annoys people. Has anyone out there stayed at Munstertal who can comment on the train noise?

@Alied, it does seem to be a popular and nice site. I have heard it is close to the train though and that annoys people. Has anyone out there stayed at Munstertal who can comment on the train noise?

Hi Heather what campsite did you book in the end?

@Alied, I have booked Kirchzarten and will be travelling there at the end of the month. I am also going to do a brief stay at Trendcamping Wolfach to see a different area of the forest. I will let everyone know what I think when we return.

@Alied, I have booked Kirchzarten and will be travelling there at the end of the month. I am also going to do a brief stay at Trendcamping Wolfach to see a different area of the forest. I will let everyone know what I think when we return.

Great idea! We‘ve been twice in Kirchzarten and once at Trendcamping. Both great places!

We also liked the bear and wolfpark:

Back