Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bit of an epic

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Tomorrow morning we head to Iona, Scotland with a 1 and a 3 (almost 4!) year old from West Cornwall.

Stopping in the Lake District tomorrow then to Oban Sunday, ferry with the van, drive a bit, stay a couple of nights, leave van behind, foot ferry to Iona, a wedding Tuesday, stay at a B&B then head back for Thursday. A rather large mileage and hope that the new DVD player works to keep them happy!

Wish us luck - we'll need it!! :lol:

Left Keswick today after 4 glorious days of sunshine so your stop over in the Lake District will be ok. Big traffic cues north bound M6/M61 junction, then further north to Lancaster about 1pm today. Hope you remembered to pack the "skin so soft' to keep the midges at bay!!

drmw1335 said:
Left Keswick today after 4 glorious days of sunshine so your stop over in the Lake District will be ok. Big traffic cues north bound M6/M61 junction, then further north to Lancaster about 1pm today. Hope you remembered to pack the "skin so soft' to keep the midges at bay!!

Couldn't find any got bought two weapons grade types of spray (one for the kids, one for us) and a dozen citronella candles!

Fingers crossed!

Well that WAS an epic - drove (after the 8.30am ferry from Mull) from Oban to home yesterday; 612 miles in one go, 27.5mpg(!); I was doing 80+ most of the way.

The van was utterly brilliant again. Will get pics up when I can. Needless to say, the place is utterly stunning. A few more things learnt:

1) Having the roof up with kids in it in a force 9+ is rather unsettling. So they came down at 1.30am and we all "slept" downstairs! Putting the roof down was also very nerve racking!
2) The roof is NOT waterproof in heavy rain and wind; one wet toddler who slept through it all. We'd left our roof cover off as the evening was warm and sunny - error! Soaked mattress too.
3) Lots of Germans have Calis - we saw loads!
4) The road around Loch Lomond is REALLY narrow; thanks Ford Transit for walloping our wing mirror. Glass fell out but luckily pushed back in and works fine. Just an annoying scuff.
5) When going to Mull/Iona DO NOT FORGET your camera!! Had to rely on a rubbish phone camera!

We'll be back at some stage!

One of the pics - our view from the van:

387128_10150961250522805_1039657008_n.jpg

Kernowlad, Thanks for sharing your experience. We plant to boat to Spain and eventually get to Scotland & Islands.

If I understand correctly, we would need to leave camper van in Mull and go to Iona by ferry. Correct?

Thank you for any ideas ... and anything learned about midges! :)

If you're doing Iona it's worthwhile and good value to include Staffa (Fingal's Cave) passenger ferry from Fionnphort to Staffa then to Iona. No need for a vehicle on Iona, have fun.

Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How time flies, from Aug 2012 to today in the blink of an eye.

If you're doing Iona it's worthwhile and good value to include Staffa (Fingal's Cave) passenger ferry from Fionnphort to Staffa then to Iona. No need for a vehicle on Iona, have fun.

Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the great idea!!

How time flies, from Aug 2012 to today in the blink of an eye.
It is fun to think we and our Californias tread the same paths as others ... as if little time has passed. :)

Don't underestimate the Midges. When we went up the west coast, via Loch Long, we had red spots (midge bites) everywhere and that includes areas that you wouldn't expect possible.
Go prepared and and use it.

I was raised in the Grampian Area and never expected these hordes of sneaky mini vampires.

Had a great time but did feel a bit silly looking like we'd got measles.

thanks for the "measle" warning :)

Back