Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bi Xenon's - Driving abroad

According to this thread no action is required. I do feel that my zenons are left aligned but this could just be the effect of driving on the left and the road camber. I am thinking ( for when we travel on the continent later in the year) that no action or deflectors will be necessary.

I am suddenly realising we will have a similar problem, coming to the UK... :eek:

We will come to the UK for Camperjam two weeks from now, and our 'continental' Cali will of course have headlights that are skewed to the right, thus blinding others coming towards us in left hand traffic...
What is this with headlight covers and stickers, never heard of them? Any part number or something? Any simple 'household' measure we could take? I have driven in the UK, Ireland, South-Africa a lot, but always with cars rented locally, so never had to face this issue before... :?

I think this is an area where dealers' knowledge seems a little sparse. We were told by VW that with the travel mode the dealership would need to change the settings again if we carry-on driving in the UK. So I just got a local garage to check on their beam setter and with the lights as they are (in this mysterious 'travel' mode) they are fine for UK (MOT pass) and in fact do kick a little to the left.

We didn't use anything on our trip to Germany and France in the car (with xenons) - did a bit of checking out and it seems xenons are tricky/impossible to deflect.

I don't think many people bother now anyway - the same with GB stickers.

bvddobb said:
I am suddenly realising we will have a similar problem, coming to the UK... :eek:

We will come to the UK for Camperjam two weeks from now, and our 'continental' Cali will of course have headlights that are skewed to the right, thus blinding others coming towards us in left hand traffic...
What is this with headlight covers and stickers, never heard of them? Any part number or something? Any simple 'household' measure we could take? I have driven in the UK, Ireland, South-Africa a lot, but always with cars rented locally, so never had to face this issue before... :?

Interestingly, I have never seen a visiting continental car or lorry with beam adjusted headlights on UK roads. We do it religiously when we drive our cars in Europe, but it seem the reverse courtesy is not applied. I assume the stickers are not available in Europe and we are too polite to flash oncoming drivers that dazzle us. Possibly also due to the UK being the only country in Europe to drive on the left.

Alan

AlanC said:
I assume the stickers are not available in Europe and we are too polite to flash oncoming drivers that dazzle us. Possibly also due to the UK being the only country in Europe to drive on the left.
Alan
I have found now that those stickers ARE available over here, e.g. from ADAC or ANWB (the sister orgs of AA/RAC in Germany and Holland, respectively), and also on the ferries. So, I have got a set now. Reading the manual, it seems to me you don't really need them, a piece of black tape is also OK once you know where to stick it...

We'll find out where to put them beforehand, and stick them on on the ferry.

I have also read that when you buy them on the ferry, you have to be careful to buy a set with the right manual, because they sell sets for UK cars going to the continent, AND for continental cars going to the UK. You might end up with the wrong manual in your set, sticking your stickers on the complete wrong spot :lol:

But just to reaffirm what has been said before, none of this is necessary for xenons...

bvddobb said:
AlanC said:
I assume the stickers are not available in Europe and we are too polite to flash oncoming drivers that dazzle us. Possibly also due to the UK being the only country in Europe to drive on the left.
Alan
I have found now that those stickers ARE available over here, e.g. from ADAC or ANWB (the sister orgs of AA/RAC in Germany and Holland, respectively), and also on the ferries. So, I have got a set now. Reading the manual, it seems to me you don't really need them, a piece of black tape is also OK once you know where to stick it...

We'll find out where to put them beforehand, and stick them on on the ferry.

That is good to hear. Yes, some electrical insulation tape is just as effective when blanking out the kick-up on Halogen headlights, but rather more untidy.

You need to remember that the headlight acts like a lens, so the area to blank out is below the centre line of the lamp on the opposite side to where you may think, i.e. upside down and flipped over, from the shape on the road.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Hi, as an Spaniard, I can ensure that most European people don't do it because of lack of courtesy, I like to think most of us simple are not used to drive in a RHD country and we have lots of things in mind (It's very usual at Spanish forums people asking how hard it's to drive by the "wrong" side driving camper van).

Anyway, for Bi xenon I read that the stickers doesn't work, but looks like (as BMVS-Camper-Hire stated) they are adjustable because they provide a "tourism mode" (or something like that) that makes the beam flat and suitable to both UK and continent.

estresao said:
Anyway, for Bi xenon I read that the stickers doesn't work
The manual for the stickers states that you can use them on a T5 with Bi-Xenons as well, you just need to stick them to a different spot as with normal headlights.

But if you have a van from model year 2012 onwards, there seems to be a setting to adjust your Bi-Xenon headlights, either manually (adjusting the shutters with some lever) or with the analysis software. All according to the German T5/California sites. We wouldn't know, we have a 2008 Cali.

That's interesting, I thought stickers don't work.

A question, I'm buying a brand new LHD VW California Beach at Spain, but I need to register it at UK because I'm UK resident. I'm doing that because I'm planning to travel around Europe, and because my plans are to come back to the sunny Spain at some point (and because to my it's much easy drive a LHD vehicle, mainly with such a size).

I'm not particularly keen to have Bi xenon headlights, but from a practical (financial) point of view, I'm assuming the same bi xenon headlights can be accepted at both UK and Spain when registering the van just by adjusting them. I assuming I will no need to change them to be able to register the van.

The question is: Does someone have some experience on that? It's a good idea to buy it with Bi Xenon or it's much better to order it with regular headlights and then change them at UK?.

No experience myself. But on the German forums they say that (from model year 2012 onward) with the analysis software a dealer can set the Bi-Xenon lights to either lef hand or right hand traffic, and change that at will. There are private versions of that software around, I understand (don't have it myself) that the more technically adept use to do error analysis etc on their own cars. They can change it themselves, once they know which registers to change.

So, in your case, having software changeable left/right hand traffic lights seems the way to go to me! If you don't want to have to go to the dealer all the time, you need to get your hands on the software and an interface cable yourself!

Thanks bvddobb, probably you are speaking about the VAG-COM cable and VCDS software from Ross-Tech. I've read about that and looks like you can perform some adjustments, but not sure whether it's possible to switch from LHD to RHD.

I'm not quite sure whether the BI xenon headlights are:
1) LHD or RHD, with the option to be set in flat mode
or
2) Neutral and can be set as RHD, Flat or LHD

From a point of view of registration on DVLA, I don't know whether, in the event the 1 option it's true, LHD Bi xenon will be accepted in flat mode.

My understanding is:
You can set them for LHD or RHD through the software.
You can lower/flatten them using some lever.
But again: all hearsay, don't have them myself!

That cold be great, I'll investigate a little

Im sure Ive mentioned before, that the xenons are set flat from the factory so no need for adjustment........ :crazy

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Im sure Ive mentioned before, that the xenons are set flat from the factory so no need for adjustment........ :crazy

Are you sure.... I must have missed that :)

Yes, that is what has been puzzling me about the continued discussion on this thread!

My question is not about whether the headlights can be adjusted to flat or not, is about whether it's possible to register a LHD vehicle with LHD Bi xenon just by adjusting them to flat.

If VW California Bi xenon headlight are exactly the same for LHD and RHD vehicle I assume there is not problem at all, but what if they are different?

You can pass a MOT (http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm)

The question is whether that's OK for the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)

estresao said:
My question is not about whether the headlights can be adjusted to flat or not, is about whether it's possible to register a LHD vehicle with LHD Bi xenon just by adjusting them to flat.

If VW California Bi xenon headlight are exactly the same for LHD and RHD vehicle I assume there is not problem at all, but what if they are different?

You can pass a MOT (http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm)

The question is whether that's OK for the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)

I think it best you start a new thread to ask this question :thumb

And regarding people above saying to stick things on the lenses, you shouldn't stick anything on a plastic lens, as they get really hot, buy the correct headlight covers, and fit your beam adjusters on there - This is for halogen lights obviously and not xenons!

In the June 14 Cali brochure in the "add on" section there is a picture of the headlight protector - the caption says they come with continental decals - priced at £51-67 - for halogen I guess

Yes, Halogen only.

I use them now and they are very good.

Alan

AlanC said:
Yes, Halogen only.

I use them now and they are very good.

Alan

I've got them with Xenons for protection and have no issues. There is a small air gap between cover and light and they don't get hot.

I know I don't need them or stickers for beam correction, but Xenons are an expensive option I thought worth protecting.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for driving on the right ? I have an August 2013 Cali and on entering France last night I was flashed quite a lot ?

I had read they are self levelling with a flat beam and dont require adjustment ?

I know my A7 had a menu item to switch them to right hand drive.

Cheers

Richard
Dear all,

I bought a 2014 California last summer, fitted with bi-xenon headlights. Drove it to France over Christmas and New Year, but could not adjust the lights from the Menu Settings. I wrote to Volkswagen and this is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Volkswagens Commercial Vehicles Customer Care, please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have spoken to our Parts Support Team regarding the bi-xenon headlights on your California. They have advised that other than
adjustment through your local Van Centre, there is no facility to adapt the headlights on your California for continental
driving.

Your vehicle is a British specification vehicle and therefore the headlights are designed for this country. The use of
deflectors are not suitable for bi-xenon headlights due to the heat generated. I am sorry for any disappointment that this may
cause.

I hope this information is to your satisfaction and may I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.

Kind regards

Customer Care Advisor
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

I am quite disappointed as the whole point is to travel abroad.

What effect does setting the lights 'flat' have when driving back in the UK?
Thank you.

Back