Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bi Xenon's - Driving abroad

apple

apple

VIP Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for driving on the right ? I have an August 2013 Cali and on entering France last night I was flashed quite a lot ?

I had read they are self levelling with a flat beam and dont require adjustment ?

I know my A7 had a menu item to switch them to right hand drive.

Cheers

Richard

They will need adjusting - not sure how though.

I am surprised this question hasn't come up before

James

apple said:
James said:
I am surprised this question hasn't come up before

James

My thoughts exactly ?

Unless Alex can help - then I suspect a German Forum would help - Xenons appear to more common with them and they probably know what to do. If it can't be done on the DIS menu - then I am think, lever of some sorts ont he lights themselves?????

Well to solve the issue that I am surprised others have not had, I finally get an answer from VW.

To change your xenons from LHD to RHD is a dealer service thing :eek: you have to take the vehicle in to get them switched (i assume electronically) :crazy

Absolutely ridiculous for a £1000 option

Quick fix, as I discovered last week in France, turn both white cross-head screws at bottom of lights till the beam comes down. Stops the constant flashing from other drivers, but does reduce your lights range up the road.

Need to find out if this 'service' item is an option within the VCDS controller ? .... and then get VW to 'cough!' for this !! as I spend a lot of time in France and am not going to constantly go to the dealers each time I go (off again Sunday).

I don't know if this will help but I had a Skoda Octavia Estate a while ago and this had the same "dealer service" thing for altering the headlamps. Turned out to be a simple lever at the rear of the lamp units which just flattened the beam. 5 minute job while waiting for the ferry.
May be worth a look around the lamp unit.

briwy said:
I don't know if this will help but I had a Skoda Octavia Estate a while ago and this had the same "dealer service" thing for altering the headlamps. Turned out to be a simple lever at the rear of the lamp units which just flattened the beam. 5 minute job while waiting for the ferry.
May be worth a look around the lamp unit.

Yes this was VW 'Technicals' first response too, until I searched everywhere and suggested they have a look themselves...... then I got....Oooops... sorry there is no lever :doh

I think it is likely to require the diagnostic tool I'm afraid which is utterly ridiculous.

My A4 had it in the MMI, I'm certain my S3 didn't require a trip to the dealer but my A1 says the same as you report.

It is however possible to do it with VCDS but then of course that comes at a price.

Seems silly that you might need to book into your dealer at some stage well before your trip so will be driving in the UK with the wrong setup and of course the Cali is made for touring.

Stu said:
I think it is likely to require the diagnostic tool I'm afraid which is utterly ridiculous.

My A4 had it in the MMI, I'm certain my S3 didn't require a trip to the dealer but my A1 says the same as you report.

It is however possible to do it with VCDS but then of course that comes at a price.

Seems silly that you might need to book into your dealer at some stage well before your trip so will be driving in the UK with the wrong setup and of course the Cali is made for touring.

Yes, my Audi had the same in the MMI. I did mention that its a camper, for touring... and adventure (quoting the brochure lol)

Will see if I can get a contribution from VW for the VCDS :shocked

Thought I would bump this thread from last year to see if we have any new info about adjusting Xenons? If I understand this correctly if you have Xenons set for UK and you plan to go over to Europe then you have to go to the dealership to get the adjustment done. So if I was travelling from Scotland heading for Europe, I would need to book the work to be done then risk travelling south with headlights set the wrong way while in UK! And repeat on the way back until I can get to the dealership again to reverse everything again! Is this really the situation for what is intended to be a touring vehicle? Has anyone found a more practical solution to this yet? (other than saying don't have Xenons :D )

On a related question I note you can buy headlight covers to protect the lamps which can also double up as a DIY beam adjustment if you fit the stickers pack on them when heading abroad. I know also that they all say not suitable for xenon lights, why is that? Why are headlight protectors not suitable for Xenons?

This is not something that we have been asked to carry out for anyone. If someone with xenons can give me registration and chassis number then I can look to see how it is done and how involved it is.

If you are coming from Scotland, you could always stop in at us and we could do it for you if needs be.

On my Discovery 3, I have to remove both headlights and flick a switch across on the back of the headlight. Luckily all that has to be removed is the front grill first to get to the headlights which are then removed. When the switch is flicked and the lights checked, it levels off the beam so it doesn't kick-up to the left like the headlights normally do. It doesn't affect driving or vision in the UK at all, and as we go abroad in the car a lot I haven't put them back to normal for over a year.

I would imagine that all it would do would be to flatten off the beam, but will check to see if any information is given when carrying out the work.

cheers

All the vans that we've had with Xenons have been set flat from the factory, with no kick up, so there is nothing to adjust :thumb We send them abroad all the time with no issue :thumb

Scapa said:
On a related question I note you can buy headlight covers to protect the lamps which can also double up as a DIY beam adjustment if you fit the stickers pack on them when heading abroad. I know also that they all say not suitable for xenon lights, why is that? Why are headlight protectors not suitable for Xenons?

I've got headlight protectors on my Xenons and bought them with the Cali. I can't see why they wouldn't be suitable as they are clear plastic, also there is no warning in the accessories brochure as to their suitability with Xenons. I can understand the stickers not being any use due to the different beam type.

Any info?

Andy

Hi Andy

I could see the sense of headlight protectors when headlights were glass and would crack with an impact, but I don't see the need for them with a plastic lens, which they all have now. The only time we fit the headlight protectors is when they go abroad with the stickers on them. Normally it's the heat that causes an issue with headlight protectors and xenons. :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Hi Andy

I could see the sense of headlight protectors when headlights were glass and would crack with an impact, but I don't see the need for them with a plastic lens, which they all have now. The only time we fit the headlight protectors is when they go abroad with the stickers on them. Normally it's the heat that causes an issue with headlight protectors and xenons. :thumb
Maybe an accessory too many when buying the Cali :D As I'm shipping it over to NZ where quite a few roads are unsealed I thought they may be useful protection.

Ah well they could be joining the fifth seat in the garage.........

Andy

Some interesting points, so it may be the case that California Xenons are already set flat and don't self adjust (although I thought I read in an earlier thread Xenons to be legal in the UK had to have the self leveling function, so my mistake). I thought headlight beams were also offset ie pointed slightly towards the left, so they don't cause glare for oncoming traffic. If this is the case I was assuming they would have to be offset pointing to the right when on the continent. Being flat set helps but may not cover all the bases.

With regards the plastic headlight protectors, I didn't realise Xenons are much hotter and that may be reason most brands say you can't use their standard protectors on xenon headlights. Perhaps once we all end up with LED headlights in the future this will all be more straightforward (probably not :crazy ) thanks for input anyway folks, as ever valuable sharing of knowledge on this forum.

I'll try to explain - A headlight has a slight kick up to the nearside, as standard, so when going abroad, with a standard headlight, you mask the light, to stop this kick, so it doesn't flick into the eyes of the oncoming traffic. Most xenons have this as well, and need to be adjusted by computer or a manual lever on the back, however the ones on the Transporter don't have this kick (I personally don't see the need of lighting the kerb/bushes etc), they are completely flat - We have checked on a beam setter. In fact they are one of the better xenons Ive used, and Im comparing them with BMW 3 series, Audi A3 and 4 and Golf, it may just be that the headlight is higher that makes them better.

The legal requirement for xenons in the uk is to have headlight levellers, so if you are carrying lots of weight they are still level, and not dazzling, and they must also have washer jets, to clean the surface of the light lens, to keep it free of dirt.

I hope this makes sense :thumb

Oli thanks that was pretty clear and answers my question very nicely. Thanks :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
All the vans that we've had with Xenons have been set flat from the factory, with no kick up, so there is nothing to adjust :thumb We send them abroad all the time with no issue :thumb

It has never occurred to me that you can leave them flat in the UK. I have been struggling for an hour and scratching my hand badly for years now changing the zenons on our Saab 9-3 before we drive abroad. D'oh!

AlanC said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

It has never occurred to me that you can leave them flat in the UK. I have been struggling for an hour and scratching my hand badly for years now changing the zenons on our Saab 9-3 before we drive abroad. D'oh!

On my personal cars, if it possible, I always have them set flat, so I don't have to keep changing them :thumb

on my previous car I had Bi Xenon's and the dealer set them to flat for me when I purchased it as we used to go over to France alot, we had no problems at all, my main concern was when it came to having an MOT but it was not issue.

We had first sight of our new Cali today, but still have to wait for the seats to be retrimmed (it will be a near thing for the forthcoming meets). Anyway, forgetting the wisdom in this thread, I asked the dealer about setting the beams level as we are planning a continental trip. He went off to ask service and came back with this: "It is not possible to adjust the units; when you go abroad you will need to replace the units." So I suggested that this would be quite expensive, even about £1000. "Oh yes, I would think it would be more than that" was the reply. I will naturally be very relieved if they turn out to be level as suggested in this thread! It would be a preposterous suggestion to replace the lamps on a touring vehicle...imagine it!

They are definitely level, we now have approx 10+ vehicles on our fleet with xenons, that are constantly going abroad, and we check them all on the beam setter of our MOT equipment - NO adjustment needed, they are all level Just shows how much dealers know!!

This thread is relevant to my query, so I thought just adding to it made sense. We asked for our new California to have the Xenon lights set so it could be used in UK and Europe. The dealer said the lights are set in 'travel mode' but hasn't really been able to clarify what that means.

Is travel mode set flat as far as people know, or am I over complicating and should I just have the lights in standard UK pattern and use beam deflectors on holidays?

Thanks in advance

Back