Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bf Goodrich all terrain tyres

If you (RTWoodstock) use an Amorak Durban 18" wheel , 7.5" wide rim, you can use 235/55/18 104v tyres which have a greater SUV manufacturer tread design range. Durban's use existing bolts and the extra width goes to the outside, might need the arch extension kit to stop mud going up the Cali sides.
Standard Amorak tyre is 255/60/18 which might work on your raised suspension.

My (off-road-enthusiast) friend told me that the compound of the KO2 is as a summer tyre, meaning it will get quite hard when cold and eventually losing grip in comparison to a real winter tyre. So even though the look effective, they are not suitable for snow and ice …
Many thanks - extreme cold and a lot of snow will be my main environment for the first leg of my journey. So, will investigate.

If you (RTWoodstock) use an Amorak Durban 18" wheel , 7.5" wide rim, you can use 235/55/18 104v tyres which have a greater SUV manufacturer tread design range. Durban's use existing bolts and the extra width goes to the outside, might need the arch extension kit to stop mud going up the Cali sides.
Standard Amorak tyre is 255/60/18 which might work on your raised suspension.
Thanks for this will investigate.

Perfect many thanks. This just reminds me I must use this forum more. Especially as I undergo the additions to my van to make a more suitable vehicle to go from Halifax Canada to Patagonia in the next year. Because of requirements up until now have it pretty well sorted for remote working and being off grid for roughly 3 weeks at at a time. But I need better set up for more consistent extreme temperatures and more ability to take poorer roads / tracks. So again many thanks for all advice.

This Guy went all the way in prep. for a South American trip

Perfect many thanks. This just reminds me I must use this forum more. Especially as I undergo the additions to my van to make a more suitable vehicle to go from Halifax Canada to Patagonia in the next year. Because of requirements up until now have it pretty well sorted for remote working and being off grid for roughly 3 weeks at at a time. But I need better set up for more consistent extreme temperatures and more ability to take poorer roads / tracks. So again many thanks for all advice.
That sounds like an adventure.

Ah I'm guessing it's lapsed. You can easily message us on our website though, just search A Bus And Beyond and drop us a message on there, or facebook. Whichever is easiest for you.
Hi Shaun

I’m thinking of going for the same tyres as you and just wondered if you have a spare, and if you do what tyre is fitted to it.
My spare have a 235/55/17 and I know your AT tyres are 225/65/17 so just need to know whether I need to change spare too.

Hi Shaun

I’m thinking of going for the same tyres as you and just wondered if you have a spare, and if you do what tyre is fitted to it.
My spare have a 235/55/17 and I know your AT tyres are 225/65/17 so just need to know whether I need to change spare too.
The 225/65/17 have a larger rolling radius than the 235/55/17. I would recommend getting a matching spare tyre. The spare wheel will not fit in the carrier if it is fully inflated. I dropped mine to 10psi and it just fits. I carry a cordless Milwaukee compressor for airing down and back up the tyres when required so it only takes about 4 minutes to re inflate the spare if I have to change a wheel.

Hi Shaun

I still haven't got round to getting a spare yet but I was planning on doing what California4x4 does and just reduce the pressure on pop it in.

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 will fit at 225/65R17, it is 4,93% bigger than the original tyre fitted (235/55R17). In Denmark the legal limit is 5%, so it is slightly under. The 215/65R16 is only 0,64% smaller and will be a more proper fit (circumstance, speed reading, handling, etc). Personally I would go for smaller rims and more tyre on a off-road setup – but depends on your disc brake size … Anyway, be sure to get the KO2 …
been wanting to put KO2s on my T5 180 4Motion... Always had Dunlop Sport Maxx up till now.

How are KO2s on the motorway at 80 mph?

been wanting to put KO2s on my T5 180 4Motion... Always had Dunlop Sport Maxx up till now.

How are KO2s on the motorway at 80 mph?
Motorways at 80 is not what I’d recommend them for. However, running at road pressures, they are a bit noisier and a bit firmer when compared to summer tyres. They may also have a longer stopping distance. With slightly larger radius, I feel I am sometimes dropping a gear (manual transmission) earlier than I did on factory tyres. For me the drawbacks are not significant, so they stay on year round. I tend to cruise at 65-70 on the motorway.

I have ko2 on both my California 2wd and my Ford ranger 4wd and notice no increase in noise whatsoever and no increase in fuel consumption either, they are great in the snow, mud and loose gravel and over uneven terrain and I highly recommend them.

I drive mostly on road and on motorway and they are not noisy when driving at 70mph

I have ko2 on both my California 2wd and my Ford ranger 4wd and notice no increase in noise whatsoever and no increase in fuel consumption either, they are great in the snow, mud and loose gravel and over uneven terrain and I highly recommend them.

I drive mostly on road and on motorway and they are not noisy when driving at 70mph
That’s great to hear :cool:. After using KO2s on various 4x4s and vans. I don’t find them noisy, but they make more noise than a summer road tyre. Unlike many who simply try to convince others to buy what they bought, my aim is to add some balance. When I’m looking for advice I don’t find extremists and evangelicals, who claim no drawbacks, to be terribly helpful. These tyres are a definite compromise. One that suits my use, but they are not for everyone. When a question involves motorway driving at 80mph, that is the thing KO2s are least good at, when compared to tyres dedicated to doing that. I feel it’s useful to mention that.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but you probably have louder noise coming from other areas, e.g engine or wind.

Tyres, engine, and wind are the 3 big noise makers, your tyres only need to be not louder than the other factors.

Of course loudness is only one factor, this should really be last in the priority list, with handling and braking distance at the top.

It's all about balance, as you're saying, having a great all rounder on all the time might be better than having "the best" on some of the time.

My personal experience, I run on summers and winters, so I should always have the best on... but what really happens? The snow sometimes comes before or after I've switched to summers, or like this year the winters have to stay on until May because it was sometimes colder than 5 degrees centigrade, but then some days were 20 degrees, where my braking distance would be reduced from great to just good.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but you probably have louder noise coming from other areas, e.g engine or wind.

Tyres, engine, and wind are the 3 big noise makers, your tyres only need to be not louder than the other factors.

Of course loudness is only one factor, this should really be last in the priority list, with handling and braking distance at the top.

It's all about balance, as you're saying, having a great all rounder on all the time might be better than having "the best" on some of the time.

My personal experience, I run on summers and winters, so I should always have the best on... but what really happens? The snow sometimes comes before or after I've switched to summers, or like this year the winters have to stay on until May because it was sometimes colder than 5 degrees centigrade, but then some days were 20 degrees, where my braking distance would be reduced from great to just good.
I live in the Lake District so no such thing as summer and winter here, they are perfect tires for the conditions where we live and travel to and for what we use our campervan for which is getting off the beaten track and hence why they are called all terrain as they are designed to do both winter and summer without needing to change over

I live in the Lake District so no such thing as summer and winter here, they are perfect tires for the conditions where we live and travel to and for what we use our campervan for which is getting off the beaten track and hence why they are called all terrain as they are designed to do both winter and summer without needing to change over
Sounds perfect for where you are-

Small point: I believe some all terrains are not all seasons / winterised (with snow flake symbol).

Still, the BF Goodrich are an awesome choice in every way (according to many reviews):

this is all so confusing...
Noise - sounds like van rattles and wind will be louder anyway, so I'll turn my tunes up.
Wet performance - this I am not sure about, there seems to be contradicting views... hmm.
Fuel economy - ABAB indicated 7mpg less on these tyres... ouch, is that really the experience of others? this could be the killer point for me, but I am seriously considering for my new van on order (4motion) because:
Ride Comfort - My understanding is that the extra air softens the ride. I like this idea with dodgy roads / pot holes in places, especially when going off the beaten track. In the current Cali I have been down some rough roads looking for a secret camping spot.
Escape from soggy fields - not often, but I have almost been caught out by heavy rain a couple of times. Once a festival where 2wd / summer tyres were spinning all over the place.. recently with heavy overnight rain, I almost failed to get out of the field along mud ruts that others had created. That said, how much better are BFG in mud than a M+S rated tyre?

Any further thoughts from anyone on the above?

this is all so confusing...
Noise - sounds like van rattles and wind will be louder anyway, so I'll turn my tunes up.
Wet performance - this I am not sure about, there seems to be contradicting views... hmm.
Fuel economy - ABAB indicated 7mpg less on these tyres... ouch, is that really the experience of others? this could be the killer point for me, but I am seriously considering for my new van on order (4motion) because:
Ride Comfort - My understanding is that the extra air softens the ride. I like this idea with dodgy roads / pot holes in places, especially when going off the beaten track. In the current Cali I have been down some rough roads looking for a secret camping spot.
Escape from soggy fields - not often, but I have almost been caught out by heavy rain a couple of times. Once a festival where 2wd / summer tyres were spinning all over the place.. recently with heavy overnight rain, I almost failed to get out of the field along mud ruts that others had created. That said, how much better are BFG in mud than a M+S rated tyre?

Any further thoughts from anyone on the above?
Great for off road, worked well in snow and no issues with the rain.
Tire wear was fantastic can imagine 30k miles out of them, I prob done about 15k on the set I had before I sold van loads of life left in them.
Yes a little noisier but never bothered me.
The only downside is yes fuel consumption is rubbish agree it’s 6/7/8mpg

My M/S seem good apart from getting lots of gravel/stones stuck in tread.

Tire wear was fantastic can imagine 30k miles out of them, I prob done about 15k on the set I had before I sold van loads of life left in them.

Thank you, really helpful. Wow, I was only expecting 32 mpg anyway, so losing another 7 down to 25mpg I think is the killer. Slightly gutted.

Reading similar thread on a Transporter forum, most seem to be saying the fuel consumption numbers show low because the Speedometer is now out by 5% +/-, they seem think it is minimal difference and mainly caused by the extra drag from the van being slightly higher.. In my case, I am actually getting the van lowered by 30mm so now I'm even more confused. Arg!

Before anyone questions AT tyres on a lowered van, I'm not going 'off roading' I want to be and to soften pot holds on narrow country roads and get out of boggy fields.

To further complicate it, the BFGs I was considering are slightly narrower so would have a lower rolling resistance possibly?

Maybe with these factors I can increase my MPG ;-)

Sounds like you are losing more MPG than just speedo corrections. Did you go particularly large? I am guessing you were not lowered, possibly raised?

image.png

Last edited:
Reading similar thread on a Transporter forum, most seem to be saying the fuel consumption numbers show low because the Speedometer is now out by 5% +/-, they seem think it is minimal difference and mainly caused by the extra drag from the van being slightly higher.. In my case, I am actually getting the van lowered by 30mm so now I'm even more confused. Arg!

Before anyone questions AT tyres on a lowered van, I'm not going 'off roading' I want to be and to soften pot holds on narrow country roads and get out of boggy fields.

To further complicate it, the BFGs I was considering are slightly narrower so would have a lower rolling resistance possibly?

Maybe with these factors I can increase my MPG .

Any thoughts from anyone in fuel consumption taking into account the adjusted speedo?

View attachment 94379
The fuel rating is F on BFGs for a reason I do believe my old joker was down atleast 6mpg.

They are great tyres though, and if you take into account that they won’t need replacing as often as crossclimate then you could recoup the running costs that way maybe.
I fancied trying something else, if fuel prices drop back to what was normal then I may get a set again but the M/S may come into there own this winter.

Cali/transporter mpg is way better than high top vans so I believe that people don’t seem bothered and it’s not as noticeable.
If you have a 30/32mpg van you start noticing the loss of a f rated tyre.

Cali/transporter mpg is way better than high top vans so I believe that people don’t seem bothered and it’s not as noticeable.
If you have a 30/32mpg van you start noticing the loss of a f rated tyre.
It does sound like a killer, but I think I am wishful thinking out looking for ways to compensate/justify... Did you go particularly large and/or have raised suspension?

Back