Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bf Goodrich all terrain tyres

Would be really interested to hear how you get on Kingpopsey as I’m considering Bfgs as well to replace my winter tyres . Have just driven to Nordkapp on some interesting roads and really felt the van needed more rubber . . Our roads not much better and then there are the speed humps and potholes .
My sentiments exactly.
I do have a question for whoever can answer. The size of my tyres on the van at the moment are 235/55R17, do I have to stick to the exact same size or can I charge?

My sentiments exactly.
I do have a question for whoever can answer. The size of my tyres on the van at the moment are 235/55R17, do I have to stick to the exact same size or can I charge?
There should be a sticker on the Drivers side B pillar that will have a range of sizes or there are websites that allow to see what size changes can be made without making the wheel circumference too different that the speedometer becomes too far out of range.

If you change diameter then you also change the gearing - this has an effect, depends on size - can be negligible, can be detrimental (like all the other negatives above! ;) ).

You'll also need to inform the insurance company of the 'modification' - check with them first before going ahead.

Would be really interested to hear how you get on Kingpopsey as I’m considering Bfgs as well to replace my winter tyres . Have just driven to Nordkapp on some interesting roads and really felt the van needed more rubber . . Our roads not much better and then there are the speed humps and potholes .
Interesting observation. Never felt that was a problem with the 4 season tyres on 17" wheels that I've used on my trips.
Having had BFGs on numerous Land Rovers in the past I wouldn't even consider them on the California . The constant droning at speed was just too much never mind performance in the wet and fuel consumption.

I have driven a few tracks up there and didn’t feel the need to go quite as aggressive as the BFGs. The Michelin Lattitude Cross is quite sufficient and is speed rated etc. Plus they are available in your current size.

Never noticed a considerable increase in noise from BFG AT's on my Landy's but watch them in the wet, drive to their limitations as your hauling around 3 ton of vehicle once it goes it takes some stopping, expect to get 60 to 80 thousand miles out of them.

I think my question on a previous thread still remans un-answered, what will these tyres do to your warranty ?

Interesting observation. Never felt that was a problem with the 4 season tyres on 17" wheels that I've used on my trips.
Having had BFGs on numerous Land Rovers in the past I wouldn't even consider them on the California . The constant droning at speed was just too much never mind performance in the wet and fuel consumption.

Hello WelshGas . I hear what you’re saying which is why I’m trying to get some feedback from people who have fitted them . I’m looking for a tougher winter tyre with a softer ride ( ie more rubber ) and a bit more ground clearance . I’d like to go back to Northern Norway / Finland in the winter . Caligirl found it quite scary in the passenger seat when huge wagons passed so I had to overcompensate and was on the edge of the road ( she threatened to drive if I didn’t ). This was worst as you know in tunnels most of which were narrow and dark ( and we went through many guess 250 ) and some 25 km long !

My Winter tyres are Dunlop Sp Winter Sport 215/60R/17 which have been excellent and worked well from + 28c to -10c . I expect your 4 seasons are 235/55/17 like mine (Goodyear Vector) .The 215 Winters should be better on ice/ snow than 235’s. Interestingly I get 2/3 mpg more with the Winters which are running at 45/50 psi .

I’m amazed we didn’t have any punctures on the Nordkapp (via the west coast )Trip because there were numerous big roadwork projects on The Arctic Hyway with long detours on very rough gravel roads full of potholes . We also went over several gravel mountain passes to find dark skies to see the Northern Lights . By the time we got to the Lofoten Islands at the end of September everyone had fitted their studded winter tyres and still we saw several cars in ditches . They weren’t very impressed with our non studded winters .

Like you I’ve had a Classic Range Rover ( one of the last built)when it was current ,several 110 Landrovers ( they rust away by the sea ) and a Landcruiser Amazon ( couldn’t wear it out ! ) and fitted Bf Goodrich At to all of them and always really liked them so now they make 225/65/17 ko2 with snowflake it’s possible to fit to 4 motion ( just ) .

I never found Bf Goodrich noisey but had much noisier tyres before them . Agree fuel consumption may take a big hit and this could put me off (but see that they run at 65 psi )and you need to be a bit more aware when wet braking .

Still waiting for some feed back from someone who has fitted them .

Regards

Normally off road tyres have more rubber and stiffer sidewalls to withstand the potential abuse from rocks etc which wouldn't give a 'softer ride' .

Current Range Rovers don't have the traditional All-terrain tyres fitted and yet set the standard for off road performance.

Current all-season tyres, as many on here say, handle anything that a Cali is designed to cope with.

So my tyres are 235/55R17
The nearest bf Goodrich make are 225/65/R17 what affect would that have on my ocean?

Hello WelshGas . I hear what you’re saying which is why I’m trying to get some feedback from people who have fitted them . I’m looking for a tougher winter tyre with a softer ride ( ie more rubber ) and a bit more ground clearance . I’d like to go back to Northern Norway / Finland in the winter . Caligirl found it quite scary in the passenger seat when huge wagons passed so I had to overcompensate and was on the edge of the road ( she threatened to drive if I didn’t ). This was worst as you know in tunnels most of which were narrow and dark ( and we went through many guess 250 ) and some 25 km long !

My Winter tyres are Dunlop Sp Winter Sport 215/60R/17 which have been excellent and worked well from + 28c to -10c . I expect your 4 seasons are 235/55/17 like mine (Goodyear Vector) .The 215 Winters should be better on ice/ snow than 235’s. Interestingly I get 2/3 mpg more with the Winters which are running at 45/50 psi .

I’m amazed we didn’t have any punctures on the Nordkapp (via the west coast )Trip because there were numerous big roadwork projects on The Arctic Hyway with long detours on very rough gravel roads full of potholes . We also went over several gravel mountain passes to find dark skies to see the Northern Lights . By the time we got to the Lofoten Islands at the end of September everyone had fitted their studded winter tyres and still we saw several cars in ditches . They weren’t very impressed with our non studded winters .

Like you I’ve had a Classic Range Rover ( one of the last built)when it was current ,several 110 Landrovers ( they rust away by the sea ) and a Landcruiser Amazon ( couldn’t wear it out ! ) and fitted Bf Goodrich At to all of them and always really liked them so now they make 225/65/17 ko2 with snowflake it’s possible to fit to 4 motion ( just ) .

I never found Bf Goodrich noisey but had much noisier tyres before them . Agree fuel consumption may take a big hit and this could put me off (but see that they run at 65 psi )and you need to be a bit more aware when wet braking .

Regards
Ah, never had a problem with HGVs passing me. Normally in a lay-by when that happened.:thumb

Ah, never had a problem with HGVs passing me. Normally in a lay-by when that happened.:thumb

That’s wagons coming towards us ....fast ! Did you have passenger in front WelshGas ? I tried it for a few miles . Wasn’t nice .

Most of the people I run with have vans, the ground is mostly in woodland or forestry commission land. All very down to earth. I've weighed up the pros and cons and am probably going to give it a crack. This is why I enjoy forums, you get diverse opinions.

Can you let us know how you get on please ?

Last edited:
That’s wagons coming towards us ....fast ! Did you have passenger in front WelshGas ? I tried it for a few miles . Wasn’t nice .
No, but never felt I had to move over for oncoming HGV's. The natives certainly didn't.

Bet you didn’t sit in passenger seat WelshGas. It’s a control thing .
True. SWMBO only clutches the armrests in the mountains on the switchbacks, even though she’s near the centre line and not the edge.:Nailbiting

Well further development on me getting the bf Goodrich tyres. I phoned my insurer's today and the girl didn't know much about it, she did take advice and put me on hold for 10 mins or so after coming back periodically to ask me, tyre size and dimensions and make etc. After that she said there is no change and everything is fine, just let them know when I change back to the summer tyres. Happy with that

Regards
Quite often better winter fuel consumption figures aren't due to the tyres but the colder and higher density of the air giving a what is in effect higher compression - more power output - than hot summer air.

Similar to altitude changes.

Other factors such as lower traffic densities will have a dramatic effect on consumption.

Quite often better winter fuel consumption figures aren't due to the tyres but the colder and higher density of the air giving a what is in effect higher compression - more power output - than hot summer air.

Similar to altitude changes.

Other factors such as lower traffic densities will have a dramatic effect on consumption.

Yes I’m well aware of this but I fitted winters in 28c at the start of my journey to Nordkapp and drove in the same traffic and the mpg gain was instant . My other tyres are Goodyear Vector 235 / 17 . Ultimately in -10 c driving in mountains same gain although I did have to top up the pressure . This instant gain has happened 3 years in a row . So whilst I agree with all the factors you mention it seems to me that the tyre width and pressure of inflation are very significant.

Back