Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Ski Campsites

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Which campsites do your recommend for skiing and why?

I’m planning on ‘following the snow’ if there is any at the Easter holidays so lots of recommendations would be really helpful please to have on one thread.

I’ll start with http://www.camping-samoens.com/ a great site in Samoen, France. There is a hire shop just opposite and bakers around the corner from that on the way to the cable car. The town is a 10 minute walk away with lots of bars and restaurants. Samoen links up with Flaine and Morillon so there is plenty to ski. Nice little site...as long as you can cope with ‘squat loos’!

FA1C3802-DBEB-4C56-B6B0-185BD4C623DB.jpeg

There is so much snow I'm sure there'll be plenty left at Easter.

There is a campsite in Bourg Saint Maurice it is the Camping Huttopia site and you can walk to the funicular to get up to Arc 1600. Also use as a base for getting to La Rosiere, Saint Foy even Tignes or La Plagne. The site has a nice heated facilities block and is a couple of mins walk to two supermarkets and not much further to the centre of Bourg.

There is so much snow I'm sure there'll be plenty left at Easter.

There is a campsite in Bourg Saint Maurice it is the Camping Huttopia site and you can walk to the funicular to get up to Arc 1600. Also use as a base for getting to La Rosiere, Saint Foy even Tignes or La Plagne. The site has a nice heated facilities block and is a couple of mins walk to two supermarkets and not much further to the centre of Bourg.

Thanks @bigmac77
https://europe.huttopia.com/site/camping-bourg-saint-maurice/
(Link added for easy future clicking)

Mrs P has asked if people can recommend any Austrian Ski campsites in particular please too? Thanks

Mrs P has asked if people can recommend any Austrian Ski campsites in particular please too? Thanks

Camping Oztal in Umhausen

Lovely campsite in Chatel. Part of the Portes du Soleil villages which include Morgins, Let Gets, Morzine and Champery.
I'll second this campsite - went last year and have booked in again this Feb. Fantastic facilities, dry room for ski clothes & equipment etc., super hot, clean showers. There's a bus stop at the entrance but generally walked (10 mins) to the lifts. Returning you can ski pretty close to the site with a much shorter walk. It's a bit out of town, groceries can be delivered but just as easy to get the bus. Great ski resort too.

Thanks Aidy P for starting this thread.
Have a Ski trip booked this year but very tempted to take the Cali next year .

Thanks Aidy P for starting this thread.
Have a Ski trip booked this year but very tempted to take the Cali next year .

So much snow in the alps this year.
I’m might have a run down in a few weeks, did some wild camping last year in Chamonix. It wasn’t to bad, the local swimming baths help for showering and Sauna etc.

This thread makes me reconsider Norway for us this spring and go the extra hours to get to the alps instead.

I'll second this campsite - went last year and have booked in again this Feb. Fantastic facilities, dry room for ski clothes & equipment etc., super hot, clean showers. There's a bus stop at the entrance but generally walked (10 mins) to the lifts. Returning you can ski pretty close to the site with a much shorter walk. It's a bit out of town, groceries can be delivered but just as easy to get the bus. Great ski resort too.

I too have stayed here in my old T4 Cali some years ago.

I am looking to return (subject to conditions) this Easter www.oustalet.com

Which campsites do your recommend for skiing and why?

I’m planning on ‘following the snow’ if there is any at the Easter holidays so lots of recommendations would be really helpful please to have on one thread.

I’ll start with http://www.camping-samoens.com/ a great site in Samoen, France. There is a hire shop just opposite and bakers around the corner from that on the way to the cable car. The town is a 10 minute walk away with lots of bars and restaurants. Samoen links up with Flaine and Morillon so there is plenty to ski. Nice little site...as long as you can cope with ‘squat loos’!

View attachment 28705

Going to Samöen tomorrow - by plane though ;-)

I did a similar thread before Christmas, and there might be more around. As you say, it could be nice with a collection/section for winter camping …

Last edited:

OK just back from a week at Camping Arlberg Pettneu. Can't recommend highly enough. Expensive, but well kitted out. En suite bathroom in a well insulated 'shed' complete with big shower, washing up sink and fan heater. Electricity was a bit pricey cEUR 50 for the 6 days but worth it to be warm and gallons of hot water on demand. Ski locker included in price. We ended up renting a locker near the lifts instead to avoid carting them about at the end of each day. Free ski bus ran from camp site gate. Couple of times it was full as it picks up from the main village so you just have to relax and wait for the next one (every 15 mins during 'peak' hours). Only a 10 min ride into St Anton. Pool and sauna on site (at extra cost). Looked lovely but we didn't use it. Would definitely go back. Only two mins from motorway tunnel so easy to get in and out of. 10-15 min walk (uphill) into Pettneu. Small village but enough (restaurant/bar, supermarket, ski hire shop and bakery) to meet most of the basic needs. Skiing itself was great. We were a bit nervous given all the reports about how 'hard core' the skiing is but in reality there is enough for everyone (excluding complete beginners who may struggle a little). Hope this helps.

RE site in Pettneu, how easy to get to lift system as its in the Valley and not actually in a Ski Resort?

RE site in Pettneu, how easy to get to lift system as its in the Valley and not actually in a Ski Resort?
Free bus from site every 15 mins. If you stay late in St Anton (after 18:00) you will need to get a taxi back as bus is designed to run when lifts are operating rather than being a resort/night bus.