Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best mobile WiFi ?

L

logyk

VIP Member
Just wondering which mobile Wifi route to take.

I do not want a monthly contract as I spend the winter out of the country and have Wifi available for free then.

So I am looking for the best PAYG deal, also taking into account coverage as I wish to use it throughout the UK and possibly Europe.

Any recommendations ?

logyk said:
Just wondering which mobile Wifi route to take.

I do not want a monthly contract as I spend the winter out of the country and have Wifi available for free then.

So I am looking for the best PAYG deal, also taking into account coverage as I wish to use it throughout the UK and possibly Europe.

Any recommendations ?

You may find the products offered here interesting.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/home/

I have the iBoost Wifi system, but this does depend on finding an unlocked/pay wifi network to jump onto. Typically though, if the campsite has free wifi in the clubhouse or something like that, this is powerful enough to connect to it most of the time.

Thanks for that - not exactly what I am looking for but interesting.

I am not looking to have anything permanently attached to the van. Really I think I am looking for the best all round PAYG dongle deal.

I am however open to other suggestions !

Three data sins usually good price. Last I got 3GB £11 lasts 3 months. Search amazon for best price.
I have a huawai modem.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

logyk said:
Thanks for that - not exactly what I am looking for but interesting.

I am not looking to have anything permanently attached to the van. Really I think I am looking for the best all round PAYG dongle deal.

I am however open to other suggestions !

No problem - Just to be clear, the iBoost is not attached permanently, I set it up as and when.

I would consider a Three PAYG sim as I believe you can carry your data allowance with you into certain parts of Europe. (I may be wrong)

Also, the link I gave you has a number of SIM offers suitable for use in Europe.

... in reality, it comes down to cost, the only sure fire was to get web while on the road is with a dish, which for Cali owners is not at all practical... and is unbelievable expensive, or have as many options available as possible... Wifi, 3G & 4G adaptors and a selection of SIMs for different service providers.

I make doo with my iBoost and an EE dongle, and my O2 iPhone which can act as a Wifi Hotspot... but I still regularly am out of web while camping.

Good luck!!

Look at EE car wifi just bought a EE Buzard system pay as you go :thumb

Avoid Vodafone like the plague - I have just moved from T-Mobile to Voda and it is a backward step in terms of data (I think voice coverage is very good on Voda).

For pure data EE and 3 appear to get the best reviews.

So pick the best deal from those two providers and get a MiFi and away you go. I might also be tempted with an external aerial, as sitting in a metal box is not always great for a mobile signal - the one in Redzimmers post looks pretty good and is not too intrusive.

Finally keep in mind that the nicer the camping spot the less likely you are to have good data coverage - I spent the weekend in Suffolk and none of the family phones had any data other than GPRS which is worse than useless these days.

T

I use Voda for voice and data where they have signal but also have a 3 MiFi as a backup and I have found the 3 coverage to be excellent.

I used to buy the SIM's that Andy mentioned above bit last time I looked they'd doubled in price.

Stu said:
I use Voda for voice and data where they have signal but also have a 3 MiFi as a backup and I have found the 3 coverage to be excellent.

I used to buy the SIM's that Andy mentioned above bit last time I looked they'd doubled in price.

I'm a bit out of touch with the 3 data sims as I now get unlimited data on my 3 contract.
Actually I think I still have one unused 3Gb sim somewhere.

From testing we rate the 3 network mifi dongle monthly or payg with monthly cancellation options.

Can hook up 5 devices to it as well

This is a really good question. I thought I would save some money by not buying a sim modem. Instead I would swap sims in my phone. I got a Vodafone italia sim to use when abroad.

Problem is that it is quite possible to mess up your settings when you do this. Ie data roam on your uk sim. Or have wrong settings for your overseas sim

I wasted well over the £30 a modem would have cost by sim swapping.

If you are really careful, sim swapping is the way to go. But I made a mistake and should have just bought a modem

Next time I head into Europe, I will buy a sim modem to avoid the chaos.

I have a 3 MiFi. Excellent. Rarely not had coverage in the UK and now a lot of 4G coverage.

With 3 you have "feel at home" whichj means your data allowance is carried to some overseas destinations such as France, Italy, Sweden ... (not Belgium or Gemany though... when I have to be in Belgium I use French aires on the border such as hondschoote)...

i have the EE buzzard as well and it's great. Good for when the house wifi goes down.

Back