Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4G in the Cali

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
After months of shelling out for wifi on site (when available) and also going over our data plans on our mobile phones which is not cheap, we decided to investigate options for getting wifi in our Cali.

We considered a wifi booster, we upped the data allowance on our phones and considered getting new iPads with SIM cards. All had pro's and all had con's.

In the end we stumbled across an awesome deal from EE for their new Osprey 2 mini. We now have 4G in the Cali and anywhere we choose to take the tiny box of magic. We have a data allowance of 50GB every month for only £30, usually £60 but they are having a 50% sale right now if you take out a 24month contract.

The coverage is fantastic (98% of UK). For example sat in my home office connected to our SKY wifi I get PING 7, DOWNLOAD 27, UPLOAD 8. Using the new little magic box I get PING 3, DOWNLOAD 56, UPLOAD 23.

It's an awesome piece of kit, charges in a matter of hours, can have 10 devices attached at once and can hold charge for up to 50hrs.

It's a win win all round. the kids have Netflix for long journeys, we have napster music streaming, we can use social media and watch movies/tv whenever the weather is no good and we're bored of playing games or there is some important (usually sporty) on.

As you can see by the pics it is really small and can easily be carried around in a pocket.
IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0602.JPG

That looks cool - I get 'free' mobile UK & roaming data on my work SIM cards in both iPhone and iPad, but get an automated preach-y email if I've overdone it on the usage (we don't get that much email ;) )

Doesn't seem like that long since dial-up and 9600kbs Nokias to me & now you can get 56MB downloads out of a tiny little box like that on the move - I noticed the new Vauxhall Astra adverts are making a thing out of wireless connectivity, the first shot at weaning us off driving into being entertained passengers?

I have been using an EE buzard unit pay as you go with 4g for a couple of years have been very happy with UK coverage even in the highlands

Purchased one today, very pleased with the results. Our rural broadband is pathetic 7Mbps dl and 0.4Mbps ul. I can just receive the 4g EE signal, one bar on the signal strength but I am now getting 26Mbps and 7.22ul, a great improvement for us. They also did a combined deal of a new android tablet (mini iPad size) with sim and another 10gb of data per month ( tethering allowed) for another £9 per month. So 60gb of mobile data now available :thumb
Update, moved the mifi unit, now got 3 signal bars and download speeds of up to 51Mbps, brill.

Last edited:
Just got an upgrade to 64GB per month and it's now fully usable around the EU. Top job EE and for only 50p extra a month.

Last edited:
Just got an upgrade to 64GB per month and it's now fully usable around the EU. Top job EE and for only 50p a month.
How did you get the update please, I am on the 50gb plan with my Osprey 2 mini. Thanks

As you say that little box is amazing. If you already have a line with EE you get a extra 10% discount too.:)
In the small print.......price increase every March in line with RPI (about 2.5%):(. But still amazing performance when compared to what you could get even only a year ago.

Back