Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best diesel price - UK, France or Spain?

D

Daren_Chambers

Vehicle
N/A
I'm just about to set off on Holiday to SW France (very excited!). I'll be taking a Portsmouth to Santander boat, spend a few days in San Sebastian then heading into France.

I need to refuel as I'm on a quarter of a tank so can do it in any country. My question is which ones cheapest??

Thanks for the quick replies guys - I'll take all your advice

I'll fill up at the first supermarket in Spain and will get on and enjoy the holiday (if I end up in Italy then my Satnav will have a lot to answer for)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I paid just under £1 (€1.07) a litre in rural France last week, but on the toll roads/motorways it was more like €1.35-€1.40

Have a great time!

A couple of days in San Sebastian then heading for the surf between Biarritz and Hossegor. I can't wait! I need a holiday so badly!!

I don't like those pumps you see in Spain where you have to pay at the pump before delivering the fuel. If I remember correctly you have to guess how much fuel you will be delivering; pay for it with a card; then deliver the fuel.

I over estimated how much fuel the tank would take and thought I was paying for more fuel than I took. I was flapping about this until I got my credit card bill and found I only paid for what I took.

I suppose taking card details first prevents low lifes filling up and taking off without paying.

I must learn to be more relaxed about this things in my old age.....

I work on the premise that 'My Time" has a value, so when you factor in "My Time" looking for the cheapest fuel + the cost of fuel used hunting for the garage then there is No Saving.:D

I work on the premise that 'My Time" has a value, so when you factor in "My Time" looking for the cheapest fuel + the cost of fuel used hunting for the garage then there is No Saving.:D
I too work with that premise.... I won't be hunting round to save pennies, I can however fill up in either 3 countries (and taking away stops - all within an hour of each other). Just trying to guage generally the best country to fill up.

The above replies have been really useful - Spain it is

There were warnings about cheap diesel in French supermarkets.
VW's navi prices lookup tells crap 90% times.
Major rule is trying to fuel up further from highways. Can be 10-15 euros difference on a fill up.
I don't hunt cheaper fuel but simply enjoy a short detour with extra advantage of non overpriced fuel. :)

I generally don't even think about filling up until I am on the last 100 miles at which point it's the first place that I come to that is not selling at an obvious rip-off price. Variations to that are if I am coming home to UK then I step off the A16 or A26 about 7 miles from eurotunnel and fill up in either Marquise or Ardres.

I'm just about to set off on Holiday to SW France (very excited!). I'll be taking a Portsmouth to Santander boat, spend a few days in San Sebastian then heading into France.

I need to refuel as I'm on a quarter of a tank so can do it in any country. My question is which ones cheapest??
About a month ago, i filled up in northern Spain for under a Euro a litre. Definatly cheaper than France.

Cheapest I've seen it recently is around 0.95 a litre in Vitoria, Spain. There are often places like this on the outskirts that are around 6c/litre cheaper than the main suppliers (Repsol etc) if you can find them.

Last week we were buying diesel in France at about Euros 1.18 (not on the autoroutes where it was more like 1.34). We weren't shopping around, so you could probably do better.

But at 1.07 conversion rate, then adding 3% if you're lazy and buy on your everyday UK credit card, it's all about the same as fuel in blighty, give or take.

On the way back it seemed like that French diesel doesn't go as far as good British stuff. Or maybe it was just cos Velma was stacked to the gunwales with Alsatian wine... :happy

Got back a couple of weeks ago from a Portugal-Spain- France trip and can say Spain is the cheapest. I set the POI on the sat nav to filling station and look for a supermarket one adjacent to my route so get the cheapest fuel and waste no time en route.

I generally don't even think about filling up until I am on the last 100 miles
That can be a dangerous game, a variation of which I played on Finland's empty roads.

As we passed a filling station the warning light came on - over 200km still in the tank - so we didn't turn back. An hour later, still no filling station, 115km still in the tank, but I checked for the next filling station in our direction : 119Km away. Had to set the cruise control to 80kph on a 90kph limit road to increase mpg. (We did seriously consider driving back for an hour to the previous filling station).

We have kept detailed records, so I can check, but I think we ended up putting over 78 Litres into our 80 Litre tank.

@WelshGas had warned me of this in some personal advice before we set off, I should have heeded that advice.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

Back