Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Diagnostic Software For California Ocean

Bumble The Van

Bumble The Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just wondered if anyone uses a bit of kit for diagnosing that isn VCDS which sounds fab but only works on windows and we are all mac users in our family ! What is best OBD type diagnostic that will allow you to clear codes ? many many thanks for you advice

Just wondered if anyone uses a bit of kit for diagnosing that isn VCDS which sounds fab but only works on windows and we are all mac users in our family ! What is best OBD type diagnostic that will allow you to clear codes ? many many thanks for you advice
Carista.

Your other option is to run parallels (or boot camp) on your Mac, which I do when I’m forced to use windows.

I believe that VW Commercial OBD is restricted to the 2 mentioned.

Carista is cheap to buy but has an annual charge to use after free trial.

VCDS gives better diagnostic information than Carista, I have both.
I run VCDS on a MacBook under VMware fusion.

Carista will clear codes. If the problem persists then the code will reappear and time to take it to the garage.

Other diagnostic tools allow you to do far more, but probably best left to the more experienced mechanics, as they allow you to meddle a bit more which is great IF you know what you are doing.

I use OBDeleven NextGen and it's been fine to identify fault codes and clear them, it also has a useful forum. Not as detailed as VCDS but you can short or long code if you know what you're doing! Paid for itself in the first month.

I recently used a very cheap £20 code reader (I as had nothing else) from Amazon that I originally bought for an older Skoda. It was similiar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089LWYLQP/?tag=eliteelect-21

I was very surprised that it actually read the correct code (and cleared it) which enabled me to fault find on the internet and provide VW with the exact problem (and solution) when I took it in.

I thought they would ignore what I'd given them but they didn't and it was exactly the fault and solution that the code reader had identified (it was under Warranty luckily though but they still would of charged me £95 to do that themselves even though I'd already done it for them.... absolute rip off).

VCDS is basically the one you want though (if you are seriously looking to fault find or do mods)

and as people have mentioned you can either run Windows on Parallels or natively install it

as a Dual Boot on a Mac and have been able to do this for some time. Windows 10 codes on eBay are really cheap too - £5 sometimes.

I recently used a very cheap £20 code reader (I as had nothing else) from Amazon that I originally bought for an older Skoda. It was similiar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089LWYLQP/?tag=eliteelect-21

I was very surprised that it actually read the correct code (and cleared it) which enabled me to fault find on the internet and provide VW with the exact problem (and solution) when I took it in.

I thought they would ignore what I'd given them but they didn't and it was exactly the fault and solution that the code reader had identified (it was under Warranty luckily though but they still would of charged me £95 to do that themselves even though I'd already done it for them.... absolute rip off).

VCDS is basically the one you want though (if you are seriously looking to fault find or do mods)

and as people have mentioned you can either run Windows on Parallels or natively install it

as a Dual Boot on a Mac and have been able to do this for some time. Windows 10 codes on eBay are really cheap too - £5 sometimes.
many thanks for your reply !

Back