Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disable The Seatbelt Chime

S

Stu

Guest User
Disabling the Seatbelt Chime VW T5.GP California

Preamble

Many people don't like the built in Seatbelt Chime bugging them to put the belt on, although to be honest I've been wearing the belts for so long now it doesn't bother me so much but here's how to disable it anyway. This applies to pretty much any VW, Audi, SEAT or Skoda I've come across albeit in slightly different methods of coding.

Tools Required
• VCDS Diagnostic Tool

Steps Required
1. Plug in the VCDS cable to the ODB port on the van, which can be found on the drivers side just above the accelerator pedal.

2. Switch on the ignition and load up VCDS on your computer. Always ensure you have the current release of the software available from http://www.Ross-Tech.com.

3. Assuming you have not already done so, proceed to make a backup copy of your vehicle’s factory configuration. See my guide “making a backup copy of your vehicle factory configuration” for further details.

4. Ensure your vehicle is clear of any fault codes before starting, if there are any fault codes keep a copy of the scan and then reset the fault code.

5. Select the Control Module by clicking ‘Select’ in the VCDS main screen and then choose 17-Instruments.

Select17Instruments.png

6. The software will login to the controller, interrogate it for fault codes and display relevant information about the controller. You can see from this screen that VCDS is using the 5K0-920-xxx-17 Label File which means our California Dash Insert shares some likeness to the 2009 onwards MK6 Golf (5K Chassis) which would also use the same label file.

17OpenController.png

7. From this screen choose ‘Coding – 07’ which will open the Recode Module screen and display the current coding.

17LongCodingHelper.png

8. Click ‘Long Coding Helper’ which will take you to the Binary / Hex coding editor built into VCDS.

17SeatbeltWarningActive.png

You can see that this is a 3 Byte Controller, Bytes 0, 1 & 2 shown at item 3. In this case we want to edit Byte 1 which is the second displayed Byte. Byte 1, Bit 1 handles the Seatbelt Chime.

9. This part of Long Coding Helper contains a series of tick box selections where we will make our changes.

10. For this tweak we need to untick the selection for 'Seatbelt Warning Active/Installed'.

17SeatbeltWarningInactive.png

11. Once you’ve deselected 'Seatbelt Warning Active/Installed' choose ‘Exit’ which will return you back to the slightly different looking Recode Module screen. You will note that the new coding is now shown in the New Coding box. Press ‘Do It’ to save this coding to the Controller.

12. When the coding has been saved to the Controller you will be presented with a small confirmation box to acknowledge the new coding has been accepted by the Controller, choose ‘OK’.

17CodingAccepted.png

13. Now that you have changed and stored the new code it’s time to close the Controller by choosing ‘Close Controller, Go Back – 06’ and if necessary you can close VCDS and unplug the OBD cable from the Van.

That's you done, no more annoying Seatbelt Chime. Easy to switch back on, simply reverse the above procedure.

cool...nice one stu....... i was going to leave mine on ,but getting the dealer to put on the anti-hijacking locking on the doors when you do over either 5 or 10mph ..... :thumb

Thanks stu,

I am finding all your VCDS posts really interesting and now feel that the system is not as daunting as I first thought......so much so that I'm considering purchasing, I have a couple of points I would respect your advice on if thats doki?

1) did you obtain yours from the US and if so did you get clobbered for VAT?

2) do you know wether http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html would cover the Cali satisfactory (I know it is not backwards compatible with older vehicles)?

Hope you are enjoying your adventure......

Chris

Thanks very much Chris.

I did buy mine from the US but quite some time ago and sadly, yes, the treasury had their fill.

There is a guy who I know of whom frequents a lot of the VW/Audi forums and although not listed on the RT website he is an authorised reseller and about the cheapest I think you'll find. His name is Nigel, username NHN. I can't get you a link to his website if you like.

As for the version of cable to buy, the MicroCan you suggested will work but has some limitations and will only work on CAN based cars (most things after MK4 Golf/MK1 Fabia etc.), the Hex&CAN is the more complete tool.

My best advice is to do a full Autoscan of the Van before you make any changes and keep it as a referance. Once you have that you'll normally be able to get back to where you started unless you've messed with any Adaptations etc. As a registered owner of the tool you get lifetime support from them and they are excellent.

The Cali is quite simplistic to be honest so not too much to tweak with.

If you do get one and want some help I am happy to, and have done before, provide help and tuition via remote desktop direct to your machine.

california180 said:
Thanks stu,

I am finding all your VCDS posts really interesting and now feel that the system is not as daunting as I first thought......so much so that I'm considering purchasing, I have a couple of points I would respect your advice on if thats doki?

1) did you obtain yours from the US and if so did you get clobbered for VAT?

2) do you know wether http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html would cover the Cali satisfactory (I know it is not backwards compatible with older vehicles)?

Hope you are enjoying your adventure......

Chris

Stu said:
There is a guy who I know of whom frequents a lot of the VW/Audi forums and although not listed on the RT website he is an authorised reseller and about the cheapest I think you'll find. His name is Nigel, username NHN. I can't get you a link to his website if you like.
That would be great Stu and thanks for your kind offer of help :thumb

Chris

We get back to the UK tomorrow so if I've not got it for you by Monday night give me a chase up.

Back