DIY Retrofit MFSW... It works!

WillSS

WillSS

2 seater beach
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,
I have successfully added the multi function steering wheel buttons to my 2012 Cali. Total cost for parts £175 (VW main dealer RRP).
With the grateful help of Stu at the COTF to code it in with his VCDS it's all up and running working as expected.
For those that are interested, below is a 'how to'. None of this is me being clever, I just trawled the forums for the info and asked some questions. So a thanks to those that kindly took the time to answer my queries to give me the confidence to give it a go. Namely Jon798 and R6eck on the T4/5 forum.

First of all, this is only for the facelift Cali's, so 2010 onwards. I'm confident to say all our Cali's come with the leather steering wheel and BCM suitable for this upgrade. For info my Cali has the cruise option and the MFD on the stalks and this continues to work just as before.

What is reassuring about this upgrade is that you keep your own steering wheel, just swap the 2 blank plastic covers for the 2 button pads. So no messing with swapping over air bags from an eBay MFSW steering wheel. If the MFSW option wasn't spec'd from new then you are also 'missing' some additional wiring to connect it up back to the BCM (controller) and a 12v supply. If you are happy using a soldering iron then it really is no big deal, it's just 2 wires! You will also have to replace the minor wiring loom inside the steering wheel to allow for the new MFSW button connectors.

So here goes....

VW parts:
- New steering-wheel to airbag (connector), horn (spade terminals) and buttons (black 6-pin connector) loom/harness. Part number: 3C8 971 584 F. Costs £43 inc vat.
- The buttons (left and right joined together with a ribbon cable and the left set has a black 6-pin connector into which the loom/harness plugs. Part number: 3C8 998 537 B. Costs £129 inc vat.
- A VW repair wire. Part number: 000 979 009 E. Costs £2.50 inc vat.

Above are all VW dealer prices, you can get them a bit cheaper at your local TPS if you ask nicely. ;)

Once installed, you will need VCDS or someone with it (step up Stu) to do the coding so your Cali knows it's now got a MFSW!

Please be aware that once you have done the instal, the horn will no longer work until the VCDS coding is complete due to the replacement steering wheel loom.

It took me about 2 hours to do, most of that time is working out how to take off the trim around the steering wheel and behind your right knee.

The best guide that helped me to fit it all and coding it to work was actually for a VW Polo, see here....

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54171

There's not much difference doing it for the Cali. The BCM is directly behind the plastics by your right knee so MUCH easier to get at than the Polo. Regarding the 12V supply, you can take this from the headlight switch as per the post. When the trim is off you'll find a couple of connector blocks to the right of the BCM, I connected to the red/White 12v supply in the right hand one, your electrical meter will help. The other thing was the colour of the wire at pin 17 on the White connector of the BCM. Mine was blue/green and not violet/White as other posts have suggested.

Hopefully this might help others wanting buttons on their steering wheels.

Final note: obviously this is at your own risk so you makes your choice, it'll be fine though... :thumb
Happy to answer any questions...
Will

Last edited:
Good work - upgrading stuff is very satisfying. :D

I'm glad it's all worked out for you. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice work Mate! :clap

So is this upgrade made harder if you have no cruise control?

Carrg said:
Nice work Mate! :clap

So is this upgrade made harder if you have no cruise control?

I think it relies on having the correct level of BCM to support MFSW and traditionally having CC is a good marker for if you have or haven't. That said every FL Cali I have scanned has the correct BCM to support MFSW & CC.

So no I don't think it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back