Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bedding in or driving style?

I have been monitoring my full tank to full tank fuel consumption. I only have three refuels so far, but the MPG is nicely rising:

Odometer Mileage Fuel used -- MPG
----- 1600 ------ 511 ----- 72.91 --- 31.9
----- 2099 ------ 499 ----- 66.86 --- 34.0
----- 2690 ------ 591 ----- 72.81 --- 37.0

This is some way off the 40.4 urban to 47.9 extra urban claimed by VW for the 150 DSG Beach, but if the trend continues I might be somewhere close soon. But is the improvement most likely to be due to the type of driving I've been doing between refuels, or the engine bedding in?

I use adaptive cruise control a lot, and generally set it at the speed limit or 55/65 mph when driving on national speed limit roads, only going to 60/70 to overtake.

I do not use cruise control but I was very pleased to get 43 miles/ gal one day last week. Mid week motorway South Wales to East Anglia. Lots of 40, 50, 60 speed control areas. Near top of speed limits when I could, there were some 70 limits. I was lucky the traffic was moving freely and I was able to predict when to slow without breaking and when to accelerate. Being in a van makes it a lot easier to see what is happening ahead. No steep hills on route. It is a different matter on stop start congested and hilly routes.

I do not use cruise control but I was very pleased to get 43 miles/ gal one day last week. Mid week motorway South Wales to East Anglia. Lots of 40, 50, 60 speed control areas. Near top of speed limits when I could, there were some 70 limits. I was lucky the traffic was moving freely and I was able to predict when to slow without breaking and when to accelerate. Being in a van makes it a lot easier to see what is happening ahead. No steep hills on route. It is a different matter on stop start congested and hilly routes.

We have a ‘17 150 DSG Ocean and get 7liters/100km which 14.29 km to a liter diesel
Which is not bad fir all that weight!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

By regulations that are worldwide, no. The Speedometer MUST over-read by a maximum of upto 10% + 4 kph.
For an Aussie explanation

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/how-accurate-is-my-cars-speedo

As you have said the speedo is out by up to 10% but weirdly enough at 30mph it’s actually dead true to road speed. If you have vcds or some kind of diag machine then look at the wheel speed sensors they read true speed and the Dash is digitaly coded to be out by varying degrees.

I haven't checked our current Cali but the odometer on the previous van seemed pretty accurate when checked using the distance markers on motorways. Accept that this would alter at different times in the tyre's (tyres's?) life.

I haven't checked our current Cali but the odometer on the previous van seemed pretty accurate when checked using the distance markers on motorways. Accept that this would alter at different times in the tyre's (tyres's?) life.

Ours is roughly out by 8%

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have been monitoring my full tank to full tank fuel consumption. I only have three refuels so far, but the MPG is nicely rising:

There are so many variables that getting anywhere near the stated fuel consumptions are just pie in the sky.
The California is as aerodynamic as a brick. Wind behind, in front or to the side have a tremendous effect. Tyres, load etc as well.
None of these are taken into account in the official figures.

Cars are different as they are much more aerodynamic and less prone to wind forces and certainly don't normally carry the load a California carries.

Have fun comparing MPG, but don't let it spoil your enjoyment.

This is some way off the 40.4 urban to 47.9 extra urban claimed by VW for the 150 DSG Beach, but if the trend continues I might be somewhere close soon. But is the improvement most likely to be due to the type of driving I've been doing between refuels, or the engine bedding in?

I use adaptive cruise control a lot, and generally set it at the speed limit or 55/65 mph when driving on national speed limit roads, only going to 60/70 to overtake.

Never less than 45 mpg. As an artic driver you drive economically. Keep revs at 1800
Rpm in top gear. Avoid sports mode

Keep revs at 1800 and avoid sports option to get best economy. Had upto 50 mpg

Keep revs at 1800 and avoid sports option to get best economy. Had upto 50 mpg
On which vehicle. Your Avatar information says you don't have a California - still looking.

Disagree......I’ve had 50 mpg plus when traffic dictates 50 mph
Must have been on Tow. Not even VW got near that fuel consumption.
0E088BD9-0177-4B61-AE5D-CEF19C8F2737.jpeg

As a one off reading from the MFD following a HGV possibly, but not in the real world. :Iamsorry

Would that not be 50kpg...???
No way can any California do 50mpg
Just Maybe it could, gale winds behinds it, going downhill for 50 miles, in netreul, back seats/ kitchen taken out, ran on low resistance tyres, one person driving it, no equipment on board and just enough fuel to keep it lighter to do exactly 60 miles, so maybe, it just could achieve 50mpg plus in the correct conditions o_O

Just Maybe it could, gale winds behinds it, going downhill for 50 miles, in netreul, back seats/ kitchen taken out, ran on low resistance tyres, one person driving it, no equipment on board and just enough fuel to keep it lighter to do exactly 60 miles, so maybe, it just could achieve 50mpg plus in the correct conditions o_O
I have had 50 mpg plus on the MFD a couple of times, whilst doing 50 mph in the M3 road works, even got the passenger to photograph it, fascinating but not realistic for normal driving.

I have had 50 mpg plus on the MFD a couple of times, whilst doing 50 mph in the M3 road works, even got the passenger to photograph it, fascinating but not realistic for normal driving.
Your MFD must be wrong or need calibrating. If any cali could do 50mpg+ thrn VW would have jumped on that and stated 60mpg in the brochure!

Must have been on Tow. Not even VW got near that fuel consumption.
View attachment 37101

As a one off reading from the MFD following a HGV possibly, but not in the real world. :Iamsorry
The details in the brochure for my Cali, produced in 2016 shows different figures, another world from today's new vehicles.
Ocean 150 dsg. Urban 41.5 Extra Urban 47.9 Combined 45.6 CO2 emissions 163 g/km.
First reg fee £55 VED £185.

The MFD may (inaccurately) show 50mph, briefly or over a set distance. But over a tank of fuel it cannot maintain such figures.

I refer to my mpg over a tank useage. If you can get mid 30s your doin well. High 30s will be your lot, I don’t care what the MFD states because I’ve never come across one yet, that as accurate as working it out.
Price paid, litres added and miles driven on said tank

Does anyone else use the app or website sprintmonitor to measure their mpg? I do and like others find the mfd is optimistic. After trying a few apps I chose sprintmonitor because you can compare your mpg with other similar vehicles. Because it is German it has a far larger database so I find it more interesting. (I have a 150dsg Ocean and can compare it with very similar vehicles such as the Coast etc)

As a matter of interest how do your figures compare to those on the MFD?
I have also found that using cruise on vehicles doesn't produce the best fuel consumption results.

I have also found that using cruise on vehicles doesn't produce the best fuel consumption results.
Brim to brim is about 5% lower than the MFD, but note what @WelshGas says about brim to brim measurements and mileage being inaccurate.

Do you use the “ Coast “ function, as that is disengaged with Cruise engaged.