Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bavarian Blair

Julie T

Julie T

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
We're a Scottish German family living in Bavaria and we pick our new California Beach Camper (T6.1) on Friday with our first trip planned for the end of May, traveling to Italy then France.

I'd love any tips on the best mattress for the 'downstairs' bed and any small fridge recommendations (we only really need a 20l capacity) we had a Pössl Campster before and a Indel TB13 which was really quite loud whenever the fan was running.

Thanks

Best mattress is subjective, but the Brandrup IXTEND works for us ( having previously tried inflatables and Duvalay)
hi and welcome :)

Welcome, try the S2S campervan self inflating mattress for both top and bottom beds.

Thanks @Californication69 we were thinking about an inflatable mattress but I wondered if it would be too 'faffy' deflating and inflating each day........how do you manage this?
Thanks

Thanks @Californication69 we were thinking about an inflatable mattress but I wondered if it would be too 'faffy' deflating and inflating each day........how do you manage this?
Thanks
Turn Pass chair, Pop the top, slide the bench out , fold it flat and push back.
Put the duvet and pillow on Pass chair.
Lie on the downstairs bed, with back by wardrobe, unfold S2S, and then undo both air intakes.
Go to shower block.
Back, open boot, get portibog out and pop in front of downstairs bed ready for night time #1’s
And while boots open, use a USB inflator to give it some beans for 30 seconds.
All done.

Reverse procedure in the morning.
I guess it takes 1 minute extra than just folding out a mattress,
But the sleep I have on it.
I have a bad back. Broke T10, fractured T12 and slight prolapse on L5.
I sleep all night and it’s very very comfy.

We also have S2S and don’t find it a faff - it’s so comfy! Between trips it squashes small and fits easily under the boot shelf next to a really useful box. When travelling we just let a bit of air out and fold it in 3 on the boot shelf (much like comfort mattress or similar) then 2 mins top up at night. Our van is our main family car so didn’t want bulky bedding permanently in the boot but it may be different for those who only use it as a leisure vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The search on the forums is not working, so it's hard to find old answers to this question which has been asked quite a lot, but believe me that there's been quite a few threads about this subject in the past. If you ask me, this is the conclusion of all these discussions:

There are several different matresses that people use and are content with. What some like, others do not, but...

Seems to me that a very large number of people on these forums own and are content with the S2S SIM matress camper version. Myself included. Although it's not cheap. If you use a tiny battery operated pump with it, there's hardly any hassle to speak of.

Back