Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad experience with VW breakdown cover on France .

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPGIMG_0686.JPG IMG_0676.JPG Just had a bad experience with VW European Beakdown cover . We stayed in a hotel in the centre of Chambery on Sunday night as it was raining and we were en route to Meribel . Couldn't get into hotel underground car park as only 1.9 m so luckily ( we thought ) parked right outside the hotel front door in the road in the centre of town . Well lit next to Centre of Commerce . Had all blinds closed as lots of gear in van . Went out to put bags in van 0900 next morning and noticed broken glass on cooker lid . Opened blind to find side window smashed into a million pieces . Why use toughened glass ? Also passenger side window punctured wth sharp object . I obviously wasn't very happy but relieved that nothing appeared to have been stolen . Never mind I'll phone VW assist ( which is AA ) I thought .They didn't want to know saying there was an exclusion on vandalism .The car wasn't drivable as the whole window was about to drop out . My wife read the wording of the policy which seemed to cover our situation at their discretion . So we phoned back . Spoke to a different person who offered reluctantly to arrange a temporary plastic repair so that we could continue our journey . This we had done by a very helpful local mechanic . Anyway just wondered how others had got on with VWs amazing breakdown cover .

Very sad thing to happen ...
Where there security camera's at site ? What did the police said?

Lucky the blind was down , it probally prevented the glass shattering all arround the interieur.

I had a 1st class service a few years ago but was in the UK and breakdown (well rat damage). Expect riot and war also excluded.
What is covered by the car insurance that may have been a route to go down windscreen claims often do not lead to loss of NCB maybe side glass the same

Last edited:
Very sad thing to happen ...
Where there security camera's at site ? What did the police said?

Lucky the blind was down , it probally prevented the glass shattering all arround the interieur.
No cameras . Police just shrugged shoulders . Spent an hour in the Gendarmerie in Meribel today getting paperwork for insurance .

I know that this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would have thought this was the responsibility of your vehicle insurance company, rather than VW Assistance which is basically a Breakdown Organisation. There wasn't anything wrong with the vehicle to stop you driving it. The glass could have been knocked out easily. If you were at home would you phone the AA/RAC/VW Assistantance or your Insurance Company if the same happened?

Back