Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Back seat stuck in reclined position

Pazoozalator

Pazoozalator

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm just preparing for a trip to France and have discovered that the back seat of my T6 Ocean has stuck in the reclined position. There does not appear to be any movement at all when I pull the tape handle and the back is rock solid, no play at all.

I have explored the possibility of removing the plastic back but I'm not sure how it is attached. I don't want to force anything. Can any one direct me to a schematic diagram of how it fits or offer any advice on how to cure the problem. Thanks.

I hope it isn't the same problem I had! it cost me near on£500 as wire had broke, due to something getting stuck in when I put bed down.
the seat needs to be taken out to fully access the back, not a easy job.
vw had my seat for ages, they wouldn't just take the seat to start with. I had to kick up a fuss that I needed the van.
fingers crossed its not that, the part did only cost about £16

Thanks Simon. I did use the search function but I can't find anything that is similar to my problem. The seat is stuck in the reclined not the bed position, there is nothing in the drawer and the boot is empty. I have access to the back of the seat and just need to take the back off so I can see what has gone wrong.

Thanks D C, I hope it isn't as expensive as that to sort it out.

Sit on your knees on the base while pulling the strap with on hand and the other hand pull/push the backrest.

Sit on your knees on the base while pulling the strap with on hand and the other hand pull/push the backrest.

Thanks, tried the brute force approach early on. It really is jammed it seems. I have tried to take the back moulding off and have succeeded so far in removing the obvious 4 plastic fittings in the centre and the 2 less obvious ones at the bottom. By another brute force approach I seem to have released 2 "push" fittings on each side simply by giving a determined pull on the edges. There seems to be a last fitting at the top of each side which is proving more resistant. I'll have a couple of weetabix and try again.

Success and confusion in equal measure. I spent most of yesterday trying to sort the problem out and solicited the help and advice of neighbours who all tried the strap handle and could make no impression. (Including the outdoor pursuits instructor from across the road). Consequently I spent the afternoon and evening trying to remove the plastic back moulding so that I could get to the latch mechanism. Failure there I'm afraid.

This morning my daughter stopped by on her way to work and I told her my sorry tale re the seat. I can "surprise" it she volunteered. Just to humour her I opened the van up and she promptly went straight to the back seat, pulled the strap, then a bit harder and the seat just popped up to the upright position.

Seems like all it needed was a small blonde and a determined attitude.

Success and confusion in equal measure. I spent most of yesterday trying to sort the problem out and solicited the help and advice of neighbours who all tried the strap handle and could make no impression. (Including the outdoor pursuits instructor from across the road). Consequently I spent the afternoon and evening trying to remove the plastic back moulding so that I could get to the latch mechanism. Failure there I'm afraid.

This morning my daughter stopped by on her way to work and I told her my sorry tale re the seat. I can "surprise" it she volunteered. Just to humour her I opened the van up and she promptly went straight to the back seat, pulled the strap, then a bit harder and the seat just popped up to the upright position.

Seems like all it needed was a small blonde and a determined attitude.
Was she sat on or kneeling on the seat when she pulled the strap?

Myself, the next door neighbour and OP instructor from across had all tried it before with some force.
I know, but were you kneeling on the seat when you pulled the strap?

I know, but were you kneeling on the seat when you pulled the strap?

Yep. But I had managed to get my hand up behind the back moulding the night before as far as the connecting ring and that may have loosened something. Who knows. Just glad i'ts fixed.

All. Just about to board a ferry and to get my overnight bag from rear seat draw and it’s stuck!! I’ve read above posts and no joy to date. Seat moves back and fore easily and will drop to bed but draw will not open. The latch lifts but doesn’t release draw. The only odd thing I notice is that if I run a knife under the width of the draw it hits a small rectangular obstruction midway. Not sure if that’s supposed to be there or not? All ideas welcome.

There is no catch in the middle of my drawer just hooks at the end of the drawer. you can also pull up the base and that might allow you to move whatever it is that has raised up in the drawer.IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

Thanks Loz just trying to work out your second picture. The catch I refer to is probably a roller on the floor. Sorry should have made that clearer on my post. I slid the knife at the base. It feels like an issue with the catch mechanism. Looks like I’ll have to wait until Spain to get my tool box out

ll. Just about to board a ferry and to get my overnight bag from rear seat draw and it’s stuck!! I’ve read above posts and no joy to date. Seat moves back and fore easily and will drop to bed but draw will not open. The latch lifts but doesn’t release draw. The only odd thing I notice is that if I run a knife under the width of the draw it hits a small rectangular obstruction midway. Not sure if that’s supposed to be there or not? All ideas welcome.

You can (well we did) when our bed struck get to the draw by pulling the seat cushion forward and cutting the strap holding it s it did not help the stuck bed as I could not see inside the bed mechanism but if I recall right you can gain access to the top of the draw

Thanks Loz just trying to work out your second picture. The catch I refer to is probably a roller on the floor. Sorry should have made that clearer on my post. I slid the knife at the base. It feels like an issue with the catch mechanism. Looks like I’ll have to wait until Spain to get my tool box out
The second photo is my hand pulling up the seat base where the seat belt catches are. I'm pretty sure there is no access from the toolbox.

Back