Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Tie Downs

Chris ... Your dad has a wealth of little additions ,gadgets and ideas for things for the Cali ...:) :)
Hope u can come to Norfolk ..cruise time :)

I guess being retired allows for the brain to think about important stuff like making little gadgets for the Cali ( bike racks.) I
nstead, us "workers" have to contend with emails, stupid employees and Human Resources, which get in my way on a daily basis, and stop me for enjoying the Cali more. :censor

choplee said:
On the site I see a link for they had a drop down box with either fiamma or omnistore/some other make
All £ 20 + £5 post

Ordered mine yesterday at 13.00.....delivered at 9.30 this morning. That's pretty good!

Iain&Shani said:
choplee said:
On the site I see a link for they had a drop down box with either fiamma or omnistore/some other make
All £ 20 + £5 post

Ordered mine yesterday at 13.00.....delivered at 9.30 this morning. That's pretty good!

Cool I'm going to order I think

Here are some I made earlier.

KGrHqFHJ8E63SLfr6uBO4ORN1Lzg60_12-1.jpg

There are plenty of these (Ratchet Tie Down Straps) on eBay and they are very cheap. The plastic covered metal hook, when opened slightly, hooks nicely into the hole on the top of the awning legs.

At the peg end I attached some plastic D rings but you could just close the fitted metal hooks to make a loop to put the pegs through.

I found 3 metres seems to be the right length overall and when cutting down the nylon strap don't forget to melt the end to stop it from fraying.

John

Chris said:
Guys. My two pence worth and my IMHO. Save your money and just attach tent guy ropes to the legs. Use some large pegs. There is a hole you can tie the guy rope's to on the legs.
If its soooo windy the awning is likely to take off then roll it in. Better to be safe than sorry.

We take this approach too. We've got more cautious as time goes by.

I just use regular guy ropes that I tie on to the holes at the top of the legs with a quick release knot - not sure if it has a proper boy scout name, but it's the sort that you use to tie a horse to a hitching post! Just pull the free end of the guy and it releases. I also put in a couple of lighter weight tent pegs just to keep the feet in place and the legs upright, but not as a significant way of holding them down.

Chris

ChrisandPenney52 said:
Chris said:
Guys. My two pence worth and my IMHO. Save your money and just attach tent guy ropes to the legs. Use some large pegs. There is a hole you can tie the guy rope's to on the legs.
If its soooo windy the awning is likely to take off then roll it in. Better to be safe than sorry.

We take this approach too. We've got more cautious as time goes by.

I just use regular guy ropes that I tie on to the holes at the top of the legs with a quick release knot - not sure if it has a proper boy scout name, but it's the sort that you use to tie a horse to a hitching post! Just pull the free end of the guy and it releases. I also put in a couple of lighter weight tent pegs just to keep the feet in place and the legs upright, but not as a significant way of holding them down.

Chris

Chris I think you mean a round turn and two half hitches, that's what you use if tying up a boat.

Have a look here this is a great site for knots of all kinds.

http://www.animatedknots.com/roundturn/ ... =&Website=

John

Hi John,

know the site well - agree that it's excellent. They also do a great iPhone app.

I did mean a quick release knot, though. Here's an example from a random site:

http://www.huntersponyfarm.com/quickreleaseknot.html

I'm not a horse person (though I do own an old dinghy) and I thought it was called something like a cowboy hitch, but no luck when I looked for Google of that other than hitchhiking cowboys!

Edit: Found it! Highwayman's Hitch:

http://www.animatedknots.com/highwaymans/

Iain&Shani said:
choplee said:
All £ 20 + £5 post

do they work and what you expected ??? :doh

did anyone get the fiamma style tie downs in the end ..??????

just wanted to know what they are like :thanks

I have the Fiamma ones and sometimes find them a bit fiddly, I think the ratchet style ones are probably better after seeing them in use at hollands wood and I considering changing.

Martin said:
I have the Fiamma ones and somethimes find them a bit fiddly, I think the ratchet style ones are probably better after seeing them in use at hollands wood and I considering changing.

I thought the fiamma had little ratchets on them and webbing yellow Martin ??

Something so small can create so many problem ... Which to buy where to buy ... Lol :)

choplee said:
Something so small can create so many problem ... Which to buy where to buy ... Lol :)
Am I missing something :?:
Why not just get the Omnistor ones that are designed for the awning :headwall

Chris

Those are the ones I mean, I think they are about twenty quid, its all the fun of buying accessories for the Cali Lee, I have bought so many duplicates of accessories where I buy something thinking it is best and then end up buying something that is better :headwall

760dbc138ebf03bb6d4872e1f54d8c23c0bbb53b.jpg

Hi, I went for the Tie Down Ratchet Kit from http://www.windblockers.net. I personally think they are better than the ones which connect to the legs of the awning because you can probably tighten then up more (the windblockers attach to the channel in the awning using a 4mm bead). We had some strong wind whilst in the Alscace back in June and they stood up very well to the gusts.

I agree..I spend so much blimming time choosing these accessories it's driving my wife mad.

The next decision is which awning!!

Calimark said:
Hi, I went for the Tie Down Ratchet Kit from http://www.windblockers.net. I personally think they are better than the ones which connect to the legs of the awning because you can probably tighten then up more (the windblockers attach to the channel in the awning using a 4mm bead). We had some strong wind whilst in the Alscace back in June and they stood up very well to the gusts.

I agree..I spend so much blimming time choosing these accessories it's driving my wife mad.

The next decision is which awning!!

We would of gone for these but it means we would not be able to use them with our side panels which also use the awning channel.

That is a good valid point and not thought of that ... If you want to get a front panel in the future you'll have to get leg attached guy lines ,dueto the panel using the awning runner ...
Thats it then the leg ones it is then :)
If its really that bad weather then I'll be winding in the awning and packing up wet ...:) lol

I notice on the windblockers site that they have pictures of their tie downs being used with their windblocker front panel, which also seems to use the channel. I wonder how they do this?

markh said:
I notice on the windblockers site that they have pictures of their tie downs being used with their windblocker front panel, which also seems to use the channel. I wonder how they do this?

Think I may check this out .. Unless there own panel are not as wide ,so allowing for the channel to have room for the tie downs ..!?

Martin Adams had the wind blockers at Hollands wood and his tie downs had a triangular
Piece of material sewn onto the end of the strap with some awning piping to slide into the channel if that helps :thumb

Calikev said:
Martin Adams had the wind blockers at Hollands wood and his tie downs had a triangular
Piece of material sewn onto the end of the strap with some awning piping to slide into the channel if that helps :thumb

I have a spare brand new set of these for an Omnister awning - If anyone wants them £15 delivered just PM me ****SOLD***

Back