Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Tie Downs

C

Calimark

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, we are soon taking delivery of a California with awning. I believe the factory fitted awning is manufactured by Omnistor. Does anyone have any recommendations on which tie down set to purchase (eg Ominstor, Fiamma....)

I will probably have a few more "essential purchase" type questions in the coming weeks...

Thanks
Mark.

Hi Mark

We have the Tie Down Ratchet Kit from www.windblockers.net, we've usd them a couple of times and I can recommend them. I've just checked their website and they cost £25 inc p n p.

They also sell shade netting type thingys that attach to the awning - I think we might be tempted before spring!

Cheers

ian

IanE said:
Hi Mark

We have the Tie Down Ratchet Kit from http://www.windblockers.net, we've usd them a couple of times and I can recommend them. I've just checked their website and they cost £25 inc p n p.

They also sell shade netting type thingys that attach to the awning - I think we might be tempted before spring!

Cheers

ian

Hey Ian I meant to ask you about them myself! I had a good look at yours when we met at Boot in the autumn - they look much better than the ones i've seen that hook in the sides of the awning legs.

Hi Jason - fancy meeting you here! Yes the tie downs seem pretty well put together and inspire confidence when the wind gets up a bit.
BTW we still haven't got a vanorak - think we might get one before before the winter's out though - did you get anywhere re securing it over the awning where it might flap a bit?

IanE said:
Hi Jason - fancy meeting you here! Yes the tie downs seem pretty well put together and inspire confidence when the wind gets up a bit.
BTW we still haven't got a Woof Cover - think we might get one before before the winter's out though - did you get anywhere re securing it over the awning where it might flap a bit?

slightly delayed response here!
Our straps don't fit into the channel in the awning but from what i've read here and on the Facebook forum there are others whose straps do fit. makes me wonder whether they've altered them to fit since i bought my vanorak.
Probably have knowing my luck!

Was just about to order a set of windblocker tie downs so thanks for the heads up. Shame as they looked realy good and didn't like the look of the omnistor ones. Hopefully, someone comes up with an alternative but similar.

IanE said:
Yes the tie downs seem pretty well put together and inspire confidence when the wind gets up a bit.
BTW we still haven't got a Woof Cover - think we might get one before before the winter's out though - did you get anywhere re securing it over the awning where it might flap a bit?

Freeley said:
Our straps don't fit into the channel in the awning but from what i've read here and on the Facebook forum there are others whose straps do fit. makes me wonder whether they've altered them to fit since i bought my Vanarak.

Hi, Freeley

Did you mean that you thought the Woof Cover, Vanorak, or Windblockers awning tie down straps didn't fit?

Am looking to buy Windblockers' awning tie-down kit.

Should I get the ones for the Fiamma or Omnistor fixing tape?

Thanks,
Steve

We have a Fiamma awning on our 2003 Cali and don't use tie downs but have a rain blocker which fits into the slot in the side of the Fiamma blind. This not only greatly increases the area available under the awning but greatly helps to anchor the awning as the rain blocker is fixed down by 3 guys, and pegs into the ground...... We use tent pegs we got from Spain which look like reinforcing rods from a Building site ( necessary because of the rocky ground over there)

DavidofHook

coordinated said:
IanE said:
Yes the tie downs seem pretty well put together and inspire confidence when the wind gets up a bit.

Freeley said:
Our straps don't fit into the channel in the awning but from what i've read here and on the Facebook forum there are others whose straps do fit. makes me wonder whether they've altered them to fit since i bought my Vanarak.

Hi, Freeley

Did you mean that you thought the Woof Cover, Vanarak, or Windblockers awning tie down straps didn't fit?

Am looking to buy Windblockers' awning tie-down kit.

Should I get the ones for the Fiamma or Omnistor fixing tape?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm referring to the clip on straps that are fixed onto the Vanorak - they feed into the main awning rail fine enabling me to fix it at either end on the driver's side - but where my factory fitted awning is i opened it up enough to lift the flap in order to try and slide the other straps into the (smaller) awning rail inside, but they wouldn't fit.
This means my vanorak is not fixed along the length of the awning which concerns me slightly in case the wind was to pick up during the night.

Freeley wrote:

I bought my vanarak about five months ago. I also read someware they should fit but I tried and the strap cord is to
Large for the awning rail inside the awning flap. I have used the supplied velcro that has been ok so far but not tested in very windy weather.
Unless you have one you might think we are talking a foreign language

coordinated said:
Freeley said:
Our straps don't fit into the channel in the awning

Did you mean that you thought the Woof Cover, Vanarak, or Windblockers awning tie down straps didn't fit?

Freeley said:
I'm referring to the clip on straps that are fixed onto the Vanarak - they feed into the main awning rail fine enabling me to fix it at either end on the driver's side - but where my factory fitted awning is i opened it up enough to lift the flap in order to try and slide the other straps into the (smaller) awning rail inside, but they wouldn't fit.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Hi,
I've been reading all about the awning tie down kits & considering getting the Windblocker one after the positive things people have said about it. But there doesn't seem to be an answer to the question "Should I get the ones for the Fiamma or Omnistor fixing tape?"

Does it have anything to do with the Vanorak fixings? The thread was talking about this as well.

Could someone clarify please? Or am I being a bit slow?

We haven't got our Cali yet - we collect it in three days' time!! - so can't viualise awning, fixings etc yet!

Thanks
Agnes

mike&agnes said:
Hi,
I've been reading all about the awning tie down kits & considering getting the Windblocker one after the positive things people have said about it. But there doesn't seem to be an answer to the question "Should I get the ones for the Fiamma or Omnistor fixing tape?"

Does it have anything to do with the Vanarak fixings? The thread was talking about this as well.

Could someone clarify please? Or am I being a bit slow?

We haven't got our Cali yet - we collect it in three days' time!! - so can't viualise awning, fixings etc yet!

Thanks
Agnes

As Stu says the Cali's OEM awning is an omnistor so i assume that is the correct fixing tape to go for. Am just about to order a set myself.

The vanarak was a separate issue so ignore that.

On the way back from Hollands Wood yesterday I took the van to Tow Sure to have another look at the straps I'd already eyed up there. I tried some Fiamma ones on an Omnistore awning they had on display and yes whilst I would agree they are the better straps I wasn't convinced the rail fixing arrangement worked with the Omnistore.

A simple solution is to measure the channel on your pull out awning.

Mine is 6mm which I believe is the size used on the Cali.

It is also my understanding that Omister make the Awning for the Cali.

Just call and check with Wind Blocker that the size is also 5 or 6 mm.

John

Stu said:
On the way back from Hollands Wood yesterday I took the van to Tow Sure to have another look at the straps I'd already eyed up there. I tried some Fiamma ones on an Omnistore awning they had on display and yes whilst I would agree they are the better straps I wasn't convinced the rail fixing arrangement worked with the Omnistore.

Do they not have an omnistore option fitting ??? B

On the site I see a link for they had a drop down box with either fiamma or omnistore/some other make
All £ 20 + £5 post

I've been looking at these awning straps also.

What ground attachment/pegging solution are you all thinking of using?

Guys. My two pence worth and my IMHO. Save your money and just attach tent guy ropes to the legs. Use some large pegs. There is a hole you can tie the guy rope's to on the legs.
If its soooo windy the awning is likely to take off then roll it in. Better to be safe than sorry.

Chris I have copied your dads. Picked up the idea yesterday :thumb :crazy

Back