Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Advice

Yes you can slide the seat to fit it in, depends on how you use the van though, some trips we have multiple stops & only put the awning up if we are stopping for a few days.
How many of you are there? we bought the van so we didn't need to sleep in a tent.
4 of us. It’s the kids issue. One of each kind. Getting to the age where they won’t want to sleep next to each other much more.

We borrowed a kela last year pretty solid awning and stood up to some pretty severe winds. Kind of saved the holiday giving us extra space during the frequent rain and pub wasn't an option due to covid! First and only awning I've used but I thought the pack size was enormous and it was a faff putting it up and down every couple of days as we moved around. In the kela we un-cliped the bedroom during the day and pushed it back to repurposed the space which worked quite well for us.

I was wondering about going the opposite way with a small poled awning for pack size. The storage things an issue though if you want to have some overnights and have no where to put it.

We drove to Northern Spain for the half term break two years ago, overnighting on a French motorway aire. The awning went on the front passenger seat.

Has anyone experience with fabric awnings like the dubpod? Our friends have one of their tents and I’m really impressed

I am going to need a reasonable sized awning for putting a bedroom into. The trade off is obviously going to be transporting it. I don't have my Cali yet, awaiting build & delivery, so please forgive my ignorance but would you not just slide the rear bench forward to make enough space in the back to fit the awning in?
There's no reason why you couldn't do that. We don't as we have a permanently loaded pull out tray in our Beach. Depending on what awning you buy they can be quite bulky though.

One thing though. I have found connecting the awning to the van rather a faff and IMO, the benefits aren't worth the hassle involved. Also, you'll have it all to do again if you decide to go out in the van. Frankly, they are better left as a stand alone unit.

I’m assuming the process of putting up a Galli is similar to a Kela or Hexaway.

The first thing I do is wind out the sun canopy- only a little in wet weather, all the way in fine weather. I then attach the awning to to front of the sun canopy, roughly align the awning and pump it up holding it roughly in place by pegging out two guys. I then align it properly and peg out the groundsheet then the other guys until it looks right. Finally I wind in the sun canopy until the awning is fully tensioned.

To drive away I mark the wheel positions of the van with pegs, unwind the sun canopy to release the tension, remove the kador strip [why does kador autocorrect to “ladies”?], roll in the awning tunnel and tie back. The job takes a few short minutes. Driving back and reconnecting is just as quick so long as you align to the pegs correctly.

I’m assuming the process of putting up a Galli is similar to a Kela or Hexaway.

The first thing I do is wind out the sun canopy- only a little in wet weather, all the way in fine weather. I then attach the awning to to front of the sun canopy, roughly align the awning and pump it up holding it roughly in place by pegging out two guys. I then align it properly and peg out the groundsheet then the other guys until it looks right. Finally I wind in the sun canopy until the awning is fully tensioned.

To drive away I mark the wheel positions of the van with pegs, unwind the sun canopy to release the tension, remove the kador strip [why does kador autocorrect to “ladies”?], roll in the awning tunnel and tie back. The job takes a few short minutes. Driving back and reconnecting is just as quick so long as you align to the pegs correctly.
I have done all that before but only once. The advantage of having the awning attached is minimal for us. If there's just the two of us we won't have the awning with us. If we do have it then we either have the grandkids with us or are meeting friends. If that's the case we will eat and spend most on campsite time in the awning only returning to the van to sleep or get something. We never cook in the van.

The other reasons I don't attach it are:

1. We might want to use the van to go out for the day or shoot off somewhere to buy something at the drop of a hat.
2. On the only occasion I connected it the connection section gathered a lot of water on the roof section.
3. It's only a few steps to the awning so why bother.
4. Just because you can connect it doesn't mean you have to.

The Vango Kela has 2 Air beams, 90 degrees to this (i.e. parallel to the Cali). It’s all horses for courses...
If it wasnt for the kids im not sure id bother at all with one or might opt for a more compact one.

However, if travelling with two monstrous tykes, like ours, there is a second purpose for taking a super large awning. Rest it upright on the central position on the bench seat, and use the seat belt to hold it in place. Tyke #1 goes one side of the awning; tyke #2 goes the other side. Fighting between tyke #1 and #2 will be significantly reduced.
We used to put our 12v fridge there in the car before we had the Cali. very effective. except for the risk of raiding the goodies before we arrived!

I have done all that before but only once. The advantage of having the awning attached is minimal for us. If there's just the two of us we won't have the awning with us. If we do have it then we either have the grandkids with us or are meeting friends. If that's the case we will eat and spend most on campsite time in the awning only returning to the van to sleep or get something. We never cook in the van.

The other reasons I don't attach it are:

1. We might want to use the van to go out for the day or shoot off somewhere to buy something at the drop of a hat.
2. On the only occasion I connected it the connection section gathered a lot of water on the roof section.
3. It's only a few steps to the awning so why bother.
4. Just because you can connect it doesn't mean you have to.
I never ever considered that maybe we should not buy a drive away awning. But what you have said Borris makes perfect sense to me. We are only two and will want to drive most days regardless of where we are camping. Is a drive away suitable if it is not connected? I like the idea of using the vans canopy as a weather shield to walk into a tent. I love the idea of a drive-away if in practice it was that but i guess its more like:-

1 Pack up
2 disconnect
3 zip up the doors
4 put the drive away bits somewhere
5 put pegs near wheels.
6 Drive away

Its the sort of process i would try and justify to by wife as being worthwhile and she would demonstrate that we could simply take one step from the van to the tent and negate all of the above.

Still not sure what i will end up buying!

If there's just two of you, you need to decide what you are using the awning for, if its just somewhere to keep the BBQ etc you would be better off with a £30 pop up tent.

Have you thought about side panels? I use these and one of those cheap collapsible cupboards to put stuff in that i leave outside.

20200811_173332.jpg

Last edited:
I never ever considered that maybe we should not buy a drive away awning. But what you have said Borris makes perfect sense to me. We are only two and will want to drive most days regardless of where we are camping. Is a drive away suitable if it is not connected? I like the idea of using the vans canopy as a weather shield to walk into a tent. I love the idea of a drive-away if in practice it was that but i guess its more like:-

1 Pack up
2 disconnect
3 zip up the doors
5 put pegs near wheels.
6 Drive away

Its the sort of process i would try and justify to by wife as being worthwhile and she would demonstrate that we could simply take one step from the van to the tent and negate all of the above.

Whilst I cannot speak about other awnings, I can confirm that the Vango Galli low works very well as a stand alone structure. By using it as such, saves a great deal of un-necessary messing about. There is nothing stopping you from winding out the vehicle awning to give a bit of shelter from the elements but that can also provide it's own issues. If it is going to be windy make sure it is well tied down. Never use it without securing it down as any sudden gust can flip it over the van causing damage. If raining drop one corner otherwise it will act as a water collecting device. After a heavy down pour the weight of water could collapse it causing damage. I was that soldier!

If it's just the two of us touring and we need extra space we use Comfortz awning sides attached to the vehicle awning. They provide a great little awning that is quick and easy to put up and take down.

Don't get me wrong, having a drive away awning can be a great addition to any camping holiday. In fact it can make all the difference, especially in poor weather. However, as with most things campervan, they are a compromise. You get extra space whilst camping but with that comes a greater degree of hassle. Not connecting to the van is just one way we reduce that hassle.

1 Pack up
2 disconnect
3 zip up the doors
5 put pegs near wheels.
6 Drive away

The big advantage with a driveaway awning is being able to store things like bikes, body boards etc while going on an excursion in the van. If there is just two of you, you should have plenty of space in your van anyway.

The amount of clutter we have is illustrated in the photo below.
IMG_2919.JPG

The big advantage with a driveaway awning is being able to store things like bikes, body boards etc while going on an excursion in the van. If there is just two of you, you should have plenty of space in your van anyway.

The amount of clutter we have is illustrated in the photo below.
View attachment 72901
I keep thinking about this and you are probably right. I doubt i would ever feel comfortable not having my bike locked to the van anyway, but think the idea of having somewhere else to sit does appeal in bad weather.

The Vango Kela has 2 Air beams, 90 degrees to this (i.e. parallel to the Cali). It’s all horses for courses...
If it wasnt for the kids im not sure id bother at all with one or might opt for ore compact one.
That's really useful, thanks.Where do you put it when travelling?
Do you mean travelling between different sites? . Just stash it under the rear shelf.

Or if we leave site for the day, we just make sure its secure as is before heading off.

We usually use the Galli when stopping 4+days onsite. Anything less and weve got a smaller Khyam awning which was kindly given to us too.

Admittedly I do like, having the extra room to store all of our 'crap'. With the kids bits n pieces and our stuff, its v useful to have the extra space as @Amarillo states above.

We've never taken our bikes anywhere yet. Didnt have a bike rack till after the last outing. Storing them is another thing.

Last edited:
If it wasnt for the kids im not sure id bother at all with one or might opt for ore compact one.

Do you mean travelling between different sites? . Just stash it under the rear shelf.

Or if we leave site for the day, we just make sure its secure as is before heading off.

We usually use the Galli when stopping 4+days onsite. Anything less and weve got a smaller Khyam awning too.

We usually use the Galli when stopping 4+days onsite. Anything less and weve got a smaller Khyam awning which was kindly given to us too.

Admittedly I do like, having the extra room to store all of our 'crap'. With the kids bits n pieces and our stuff, its v useful to have the extra space as @Amarillo states above.

We've never taken our bikes anywhere yet. Didnt have a bike rack till after the last outing. Storing them is another thing.
It fits under the shelf is what I meant? Thanks.

I keep thinking about this and you are probably right. I doubt i would ever feel comfortable not having my bike locked to the van anyway, but think the idea of having somewhere else to sit does appeal in bad weather.

I’m interested in where people store their bikes when on a site. Secured on the bike rack or locked together in an awning?

I’m interested in where people store their bikes when on a site. Secured on the bike rack or locked together in an awning?
Do some sites have bike ‘sheds’ or lockers?

Do some sites have bike ‘sheds’ or lockers?

I’ve never come across bike sheds on a site. A few wheel bender type racks outside reception is the best you can hope for.

I lock ours with a long cable to a tree or occasionally to a rear wheel. Also all locked together in the awning.

We once had a child’s bike go missing from outside the kid’s club. A cursory search found it being ridden by a boy of a similar age to my own.

Some sites near towns have very serious problems of bike thefts. Typically they will have 24h security wardens, but still bikes go missing. In rural areas theft seems to be rare.

I am the proud and lucky owner of a Vango Galli II compact Low rsv. We are seasoned tent campers, prior to buying the California 10 years ago. For 3 years, we went to shows, asked questions then bought the Galli at the Manchester show a couple of years ago. We bought the extra under ground sheet and roof screen. It is a great complement to the California. But only if staying 3 nights or more, due to putting it up and taking it down. Watch the videos, plenty of times. Be organised, you need to be fit. All that pumping will give some people a heart attack, and turn others into alcoholics. Some campsites don’t allow built in groundsheets. We are after an additional decent carpet for ours. It really makes a difference to the camping, having a bit of space. The ability to stand up, somewhere to hang coats in bad weather. It takes up loads of room and is heavy. But worthwhile.

What are peoples opinion and experience on the bell tent style awnings eg Dubpod ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back