Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heater problem

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Went to use my auxiliary heating for the first time ever today and it started with a noise like a miniture jet engine starting up ran for a few minutes and then shut down without producing any warm air / heat. It was set on the highest temp (10 ) on the front display panel. Can anybody tell me if they have experienced the same and what the problem was ..... or am I doing something wrong ?

I'd let it go through that complete cycle a couple of times and see if that resolves the issue.

It seems common for the dealer not to test run them in PDI.

The heaters have a complex start up and shutdown procedure with internal checks each step of the way. The pump is a simple dosing pump that inserts a small amount of fuel for each 'click'. It takes a long time for it to prime the fuel through from the pump to the heater for the very first time...

If it doesn't work after that, it's back to the dealer I'm afraid.

(I personally fitted a petrol version of this heater in my 356 speedster to heat the interior as the highly tuned air cooled engine it runs has no provision for interior heat unlike a standard engine)

Simon

Funnily enough, we took delivery last week and while I was checking things out I had exactly the same.

First time it just blew cold air for a bit and then shut down although it sounded as if a fan was still blowing in the driver's side footwell.

Back to the manual to see if I was doing something stupid. But the instructions were the same as I had done.

2nd time round it all worked perfectly and has done a couple more times.

So it looks as though they need a couple of goes before they fire up the first time.

Thanks guys.

I will give a another try and report back. ;)

Thanks to all the people who posted offering advice..... you were spot on.

Tried the aux heater again and it fired up blowing nice hot air.
It must have primed the diesel pump inside the heater the last time I tried it as this time it fired up first time.------phew ! I was getting worried about more big VW bills.

Thanks again.

Back