Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any of you sleeping in yours yet?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
This applies particularly to the newer owners - anyone braved a night in theirs yet this year?

Think we'll hang on a little longer but definitely camping in April. If it's warm before then, we'll give it a go!

A young (one year) baby means it'll be a restless night but we'll crack it soon! She certainly sleeps a lot better than the last time we camped (in a tent) last Summer!

I slept in mine last week. Hunstanton Norfolk. 2 nights. Little oil filled rad. Lovely and cosy. :thumb

That is one of the frustrating things at the moment!! We are kitting it out but, like you, feel warmer nights may be needed first! We have yet to get a Cozi/Vanorak/ thingy so need to get that sorted I think.
We are hoping to try somewhere local before long just to try out all the van functions.

Collect van next Thursday, and will be off somewhere, anywhere on the Friday for 4 nights - plan is to use 'raw' that long weekend to decide what we need to buy to get the comfort level up. Fortunately it looks as though the weather is picking up, so probably not really being that brave! (Winter weather was one of my reasons for not taking delivery sooner - would I really have used it in January + February ? Probably !)

Yeah! Was away mid January at Moreton In Marsh with another member of this group in his Cali. A bit frosty in the mornings but toasty warm inside. Think you will find it okay - it does make the vehicle more worthwhile if you are able to use it all year round. Less people about if you can avoid weekends - the site at Moreton on Friday evening was like a stampede. You have to try it to be able to set your own comfort and requirement levels. Go for it!

Bob

We stayed at Moreton on Sat night - it was packed; but as good as usual! It was v.cold (and hence cozy!!) Sat night but bright and beautiful on Sunday. Sunday late morning we went up the road to Batsford Arboretum and we were suprised to find there was 1cm of snow on the ground!

All sounds good! The young kids do mean we have to be a bit more mindful than we would previously have been and want to try and get that first night right. Still not decided on who will sleep where. No doubt the baby girl will soon dictatete the arrangements!

Using it daily for various trips to the beach. Just had a nice trip to Godrevy. Did a quick run while mum watched the little ones. Saw about 50 seals in a well known bay - amazing!!

Iain - random name change?!

Get out there and kip in it. Appreciate the particular difficulties with the small ones so, I'd suggest spending a night in it on your driveway - that way, if it all turns smelly (cold) or smelly (accident..) then you can simply decamp into the house. No need to travel miles for your first night in the van!

(If it is cold and you don't have a roof cover, shut the roof down)

Californiaman said:
Get out there and kip in it. Appreciate the particular difficulties with the small ones so, I'd suggest spending a night in it on your driveway - that way, if it all turns smelly (cold) or smelly (accident..) then you can simply decamp into the house. No need to travel miles for your first night in the van!

(If it is cold and you don't have a roof cover, shut the roof down)

That is sort of our plan! Super quiet here so at least we won't disturb anyone if it goes pear shaped!

Will be the first night for us this year at Padstow at the weekend - will be the first time we've used the cali since it went in for a few warranty items recently. Will be interesting to see if they've fixed the earth shunt, sticking blind etc.

Freeley said:
Will be the first night for us this year at Padstow at the weekend - will be the first time we've used the cali since it went in for a few warranty items recently. Will be interesting to see if they've fixed the earth shunt, sticking blind etc.

Just up the road from us. Shout if you need any pointers. Wife was brought up just across the river in Rock, I loved nearby for many years. Enjoy! :D

Hi Iain,

Hope your wife knows of your romancing and :censor around the area and is very forgiving. Bragging is not a desirable trait in a grown man.
I hope you get sent to bed without any supper - you`re a very naughty boy.

Bob

Haha cheers kernowlad.
I hope to be loving in padstow myself on saturday night, but to be honest it's pretty unlikely!!

We are away most weekends
We were on the yorkshire moors a couple of weekends ago when it was -14
Sleept upstairs with the vanorak on - lovely and cosy although the heater did have its work cut out 

Went on first trip this weekend, wife and I slept on roof bed! Have now ordered memory foam matress cover as original to hard!!
No extras fitted to improve insulation, rained first night frost on next, temperature within van comfortable used van heater found it very efficient.
Have decided to purchase Khyam VW California Kamper Cosi, and internal silver screens for front windows as windscreen blind naff!!
All in all very pleased looking forward to next trial.

We've been out most weekends since we got ours in september. I reackon it would need to be pretty cold to stop us, but then we were quite happy camping throughout winter, so the cali feels like luxury. I think a vanorak makes quite a difference and probably essential below about -5.

Doesn't the parking heater (are those standard on all SE/Berghaus models?) mean that you can (in theory) camp all year 'round?

I'm pretty sure all cali's come with aux heating as standard. And yes they keep the van toasty
No reason why you can't sleep in it all year round.

Back