Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping and travelling with young children, some tips!

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Thought I'd post a few tips about travelling with young children. We've had vw campers since before children but now have 3 children so have tried several pushchairs, travel cots and sleeping configurations over the years! We've just got back from 2000 miles round france and did the same last year with all the little people to consider.

Long journeys- travel tray is fantastic. Stops drinks and snacks rolling off, stuffed the side pockets with little toys and then put a film (or several on) for the older 2, mixed with a few episodes of peppa pig for little one. The older 2 have a small backpack which i fill with pocket money toys, colouring books and pencils but they don't get to see what's inside until we get off the eurotunnel and keeps them amused for ages.
SLmoI2svhM9aCdHXTaPe2t2_-cOzfyxcZgZ4UvtWWm0=w972-h729-no.jpg

sleepingYoungest (15 months) goes to bed on the parcel shelf and then she's not really disturbed when I go to bed as her bed just becomes part of mine. Middle child (3 year old) goes upstairs, shut the hatch and she can't argue with her brother who sleeps across the front seats leaving us space to sit on the rear seat if raining or cold, or just outside. My husband has to sleep upstairs until youngest is old enough to join her sister in the upper bed. We use silver screens on the windscreen and roof to keep it darker to help the children sleep in later. The roof screen also means they can't peek at what's going on outside but can still have the windows open if it rains!

I have sometimes used a necessity pop up travel cot to stop my daughter rolling all over the bed and climbing on me. I can sleep better knowing I won't roll on top of her either!
mgLcg7OPzcD750WeNuRuOWg.jpg

We also have some voice activated walkie talkies we use as a baby monitor if my daughter falls asleep in the van as we can't see our driveway easily from the house. These are handy if you want to listen in when they are sleeping without opening the sliding door. During the daytime, the older children use them to have a bit of independence to go to the park or neighbouring pitches on campsites so we have a good idea of where they are, and if they get lost they can tell us!

car seatsWe have 1 chunky car seat and 2 boosters but they stow in the front and support the self inflating mattress my son sleeps on. If we're on a campsite then they go in a pop up tent.
IMG_20140803_145602.jpg

pushchair After trying several, we now have the mamas and papas armadillo. It lays flat, has a larger sun hood for hot holidays & good shopping basket. With the wheels off it stows under the extended multiflex on its side (narrowest edge) so takes up very little space. We also use a babasling to save getting the pushchair out all the time now youngest is walking a little. The babaling folds into a little pouch, is very comfortable and useful for sightseeing where it isn't pushchair friendly. It also means if the older children get tired, we can carry the little one and they can have a quick ride in the pushchair.
IMG_20140729_121606.jpg
IMG_20140805_090217.jpg

Eating- As the Beach table isn't big enough for a family of 5 to dine round, we use a folding table with seats and the beach table gets used as a side table or for food preparation. A folding booster seat with tray is great to contain messy eaters, takes up little space, sits securely on the bench seat if cold or clips onto the cali deck chairs easily.
IMG_20140812_134322.jpg

Hope that helps other people shopping for baby equipment to pack, or just deliberating how practical cali camping and young children is! We've had so many memorable trips in our cali, the children love it!

Great to see people with van and as many kids as us. We keep everything in the van when only stopping one night but use a pop up toilet tent to store extra kit when staying put for a few days. How you you find the reimo pod? We use an ikea one at the moment but are looking at the reimo and also maxxcamp, None of these are cheap and not sure what to so as still want to use swivel seats now and again, do you still do that or find that you just keep seat facing forward?
Thanks Dave

Dave bee said:
Great to see people with van and as many kids as us. We keep everything in the van when only stopping one night but use a pop up toilet tent to store extra kit when staying put for a few days. How you you find the reimo pod? We use an ikea one at the moment but are looking at the reimo and also maxxcamp, None of these are cheap and not sure what to so as still want to use swivel seats now and again, do you still do that or find that you just keep seat facing forward?
Thanks Dave

We had the reimo in our caravelle and liked it so much we bought the same again when we got the cali. We looked at lots of others but despite the price nothing compared. It's surprising what you can store in it, we like how we cook outside so not worrying about cooking smells and its high enough that if the children are in and out of the van it would be hard for them to knock something. In our T4, once the children went to bed, we couldn't even boil a kettle for fear of them touching a hot hob after we switched everything off but its out of the way with the reimo.

We can semi swivel the drivers seat and fully swivel the passengers. We tend to leave the drivers seat forward facing to dump the bedding on once our youngest goes to bed but if we're picnicing it swivels enough for someone to sit and feel part of the rear whilst being able to use the sink lid as a table top.

We use the table on 4 legs the other way round inside the van now so that people in the swivel seats can get in and out

IMG_20140412_120304.jpg

IMG_20140412_120059.jpg

Thanks for posting -- great post nice to see people enjoying the positives of the Cali and posting about it :goodone

I read this post with great interest. I'm a father of 3 kids age 6, 3.5 and 1.5 now and have been thinking about getting a California Beach. Here in Belgium we have two models, Beach and Comfortline and it looks germany now has five (two "Edition" versions and a "Generation" version). We saw both a beach and comfortline recently, the beach is what we need for the room (we cook outside anyway) and the eldest two were very excited about the car and its possibilities.
For the 5th sleep, I think about getting a cabin bunk bed.
Do you have the 7 seater configuration? I was thinking about getting it, because we sometimes need more seats. But I image that during holidays the extra seats will have to be taken out.

As cars taxed on CO2 over here (where aren't they?), I am hoping the the recent VW Multivan engine upgrade (which brought co2 of the 114HP from 179 to 159g and for the 140HP from 184g to 169g) will also come to the California soon. California had +5g compared to the Multivan, which could mean a California Beach 140HP can be had for 174g or a 114HP for 164g. Substantial impact on taxes..

zeratul said:
I read this post with great interest. I'm a father of 3 kids age 6, 3.5 and 1.5 now and have been thinking about getting a California Beach. Here in Belgium we have two models, Beach and Comfortline and it looks germany now has five (two "Edition" versions and a "Generation" version). We saw both a beach and comfortline recently, the beach is what we need for the room (we cook outside anyway) and the eldest two were very excited about the car and its possibilities.
For the 5th sleep, I think about getting a cabin bunk bed.
Do you have the 7 seater configuration? I was thinking about getting it, because we sometimes need more seats. But I image that during holidays the extra seats will have to be taken out.

Because of the kitchen pod we just have 6 seats but the rear captains seat spends most of its time in the shed as we prefer to have the living space free even when we're not camping. It's handy to have the option to carry more passengers though.

We had a cab bunk but it restricted access to the roof bed so now we just have a self inflating mattress across the front seats, supported near the handbrake by the booster seats. The older 2 argue over who will sleep there saying it's more comfortable than the roof bed.

The beach works brilliantly as our family car with a supply of drinks and snacks always on board not to mention the porta potti for emergencies. I have been known to cook dinner whilst watching kids tennis lessons, use it as a changing room before swimming lessons to save juggling my 18 month old running & slipping on the wet floors whilst wrestling with swimming hats & locating stray socks and often use it to picnic from for day trips at the weekend. The parking heater is great on cold mornings to stop the children whining they're cold & it means the coats stay on the hook in the beach so it's one less thing to remember!

We went to Disneyland Paris this summer and it cost us 15 euros for 2 nights staying in the coach park. Not many places in Paris a family of 5 can stay for that price!

I can't recommend the beach enough for young families.

Great tips!

We are a family of four, kids now aged 3 (almost 4) and 6.

We got the Cali when the youngest was 18 months and the eldest was 3 and have done Mull (a week), Europe twice (5 weeks) and Britanny (a week) as well as countless more local stays away, parties, etc (we've even used it to interview people as we run a PR firm and as a base/mulled wine station for a beach staff party)!

I'd say our kids are more comfortable in the van than anywhere else (except our house). Recent thoughts about selling it (we've had a fair few issues recently) were not only sad for us but sad for the memories it's given the kids - so we're keeping it!

Any other tips needed, I think we qualify as reasonably expert as dealing with most things from scorching heat to force 11 winds, massive drives to easy cooking for kids.

Hi there - great post :)

Wondered if you could tell us what type of Reimo unit you bought for your Beach ... has a look on the Reimo site, but its quite hard to navigate so I couldn't find it :-(

Cheers Jon

JA500001 said:
Hi there - great post :)

Wondered if you could tell us what type of Reimo unit you bought for your Beach ... has a look on the Reimo site, but its quite hard to navigate so I couldn't find it :-(

Cheers Jon

I got it from CMC http://www.conceptmulti-car.co.uk It's the reimo pantry unit and CMC were the cheapest when I called a few reimo stockists. I don't think it is on their website but if you call them, they're really helpful. Not cheap but definitely works for us. Just make sure you specify which side you want the cooker on. We have ours on the right hand side so that we can cook outside rather than in. The only criticism is that it doesn't come with any internal shelf but we quickly made one from ply which is fine.

Thank you cleve. I really hope our kids will enjoy it just as much. Would you mind sharing the complete Beach spec and options you chose?

This parking heater .. In our Belgian California price sheet we have 4 types:
- a 3kwh air-based heater with remote control
- a 3kwh air based heater
- a 10kw water based heater
- a 10kw water based heater with remote control
The air-based heaters are more expensive. Which one do you have in the UK or can you make the same choice? Can we skip that option and use something else (cheaper) to heat the van?

How is the beach in winter (Alps!)? I saw it has only single glass compared to the full Cali with double glass. Is it still comfortable by using thermal window covers?

zeratul said:
Thank you cleve. I really hope our kids will enjoy it just as much. Would you mind sharing the complete Beach spec and options you chose?

This parking heater .. In our Belgian California price sheet we have 4 types:
- a 3kwh air-based heater with remote control
- a 3kwh air based heater
- a 10kw water based heater
- a 10kw water based heater with remote control
The air-based heaters are more expensive. Which one do you have in the UK or can you make the same choice? Can we skip that option and use something else (cheaper) to heat the van?

How is the beach in winter (Alps!)? I saw it has only single glass compared to the full Cali with double glass. Is it still comfortable by using thermal window covers?

I'm not sure about spec or whether we have the same choices in the uk as we bought an ex hire cali beach so the spec was already decided. The things I wouldn't be without if ordering from new myself are the parking heater with remote, 3 zone climatronic A/C, electric folding mirrors and soft close doors (not electric as they beep) which stops you having to slam the sliding door and tailgate shut as it pulls it in slowly and quietly.

Ours is a diesel powered heater with remote control. It runs from the fuel and the remote enables us to put the heater on from the house or nearby location to pre-heat the van before we have to lea. We've tested it from a good distance away with buildings between us and the cali beach and it worked remotely very well.

We've only used it in uk autumn/spring so far but I know the company that hired it out before we purchased it have used it in the snow in Switzerland and various other locations. Having the built in heater means you can keep the heating on whilst sleeping if really cold and no need to take extra fan heaters or oil filled radiators when storage is limited. We use a silver thermal screen on the window and pop up roof to help keep the heat in. There's something very satisfying about sitting having dinner with the heating on watching everyone filling up their hot water bottles :)

We're heading off this weekend and hoping it will be fairly mild for October but taking our khyam motor dome sleeper just in case as last time we camped in cold weather we found it annoying that there was a cold blast of air every time we opened the sliding door. Will also be nice to have somewhere enclosed to eat outside the van to give us more space to spread out or somewhere sheltered for the children to play if wet.

Just a quick thank you for your writeup, has helped us tremendously make our mind up to either buy a SE or keep our 3 seater.
In case of curious minds we are keeping our bus and in the process of having a pod priced up by various companies :thumb

I've come to the same conclusion as you.
Also from my part a big thank you.
It'll be a 7-seater beach, and when on holiday we'll swap one or two seats for a James 2.0 POD.

cleve said:
We're heading off this weekend and hoping it will be fairly mild for October but taking our khyam motor dome sleeper just in case as last time we camped in cold weather we found it annoying that there was a cold blast of air every time we opened the sliding door. Will also be nice to have somewhere enclosed to eat outside the van to give us more space to spread out or somewhere sheltered for the children to play if wet.

Hmm, taking the awning wasn't quite as successful as we had hoped. The amount of space it took up in the van, time to peg out in the dark and pouring rain and then dry out before we could pack it away was a real pain. It was nice in some ways having the extra space but I'm not sure it justified the extra hassle and now I remember why we have a camper van and not a tent! I don't think I'd take it again in a hurry unless we were camping for longer than 4 days.

Going straight from school was also a mistake as I hadn't factored in allowing space for the extra shoes, book bags, lunch boxes and uniforms x2 when packing. Definitely had more fun on trips where we've taken less stuff! 2 feather duvets worked brilliantly though as they pack so much smaller than synthetic, much more comfortable than sleeping bags and kept everyone toasty. 13 tog in the roof, 9 tog below. For a while now, we've used 2 of these bags:

51pgIFn9ElL.jpg

Children's bedding, pi's, comfort blankets and dummies go in one bag, our bedding and pjs in another. Both sit on the multiflex and it saves rummaging in suitcases late at night for all the things we need to get them to bed. Sometimes I even keep a clean outfit in the bags so we can get everyone dressed quickly without lifting the multiflex or opening a door to the elements.

zeratul said:
I've come to the same conclusion as you.
Also from my part a big thank you.
It'll be a 7-seater beach, and when on holiday we'll swap one or two seats for a James 2.0 POD.

Something to be aware of with that pod is that we've found it more useful to swivel the passengers seat than drivers seat as there's that little bit of extra space without the steering wheel. With the reimo pod, if the cooker is on the right hand side you can fit it as we have or in colder months move it behind the passenger seat to cook indoors. I don't think the James pod looks quite as interchangeable.

cleve said:
Something to be aware of with that pod is that we've found it more useful to swivel the passengers seat than drivers seat as there's that little bit of extra space without the steering wheel. With the reimo pod, if the cooker is on the right hand side you can fit it as we have or in colder months move it behind the passenger seat to cook indoors. I don't think the James pod looks quite as interchangeable.
I read it twice, but I don't completely understand what you mean...could you please clarify a bit?
You have a UK cali I suppose? So driver's seat on the right, and the door as well?
I am from Belgium, looking at a Cali with drivers seat on the left. Does it apply in this case?

zeratul said:
cleve said:
I read it twice, but I don't completely understand what you mean...could you please clarify a bit?
You have a UK cali I suppose? So driver's seat on the right, and the door as well?
I am from Belgium, looking at a Cali with drivers seat on the left. Does it apply in this case?

No if your drivers seat is on the left then with the James pod you'll still be able to swivel the passenger seat but UK cali wouldn't be able to. I still prefer having the ability to cook outside using the reimo pod but that's all personal preference. As the reimo cupboard doors open from the front and no side storage/fridge to worry about the reimo can be fitted to either side of the van and they do 2 versions, one with cooker on the right, one with cooker on the left.

I think I see what you mean: you leave the pod inside, but the cooking part is extended to the right of the unit, just outside the open door and so you're cooking outside due to that?
Earlier I thought you detached the entire pod and put it somewhere outside... that would be doable with a pod from the left side as well.

zeratul said:
I think I see what you mean: you leave the pod inside, but the cooking part is extended to the right of the unit, just outside the open door and so you're cooking outside due to that?

Yes you've got it!

We have since replaced the khyam driveaway awning with a Quechua base which is perfect for storing car seats and somewhere for the children to play/eat when cold or wet but takes up very little space when packed.

11148589_10153217107742863_3212395656681310569_n.jpg

We had a cab bunk but it restricted access to the roof bed so now we just have a self inflating mattress across the front seats, supported near the handbrake by the booster seats. The older 2 argue over who will sleep there saying it's more comfortable than the roof bed.
Hi cleve, I would like to come back to this inflating mattress across the front seat.. what size is it? Because a standard inflatable mattress is too large, or are you twisting one part upward on the side?
Thanks!

Hi cleve, I would like to come back to this inflating mattress across the front seat.. what size is it? Because a standard inflatable mattress is too large, or are you twisting one part upward on the side?
Thanks!

Ours is a shorter one from mountain warehouse, think it was described as narrow as well as shorter. Something we stumbled across but can't see on the website otherwise I'd post a link.

Picking up this thread again as we have since discovered that the beach multiflex cushion is a great fit across the cab area and we don't need it with the comfortz matress as we sleep with our feet at the multiflex end so don't notice the height difference!

This is such a helpful thread, thank you so much. We camp with three kids and it's great to pick up some really useful tips.