Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another water pump thread

Carrot

Carrot

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The tap in our T5 has stopped working and we're having trouble finding anyone local to look at it (all too busy for the job!) so doing a bit of investigating.

With the tap on or off, the pump is measuring 5v. I was expecting 12v or nothing - any ideas on what this could mean???

Thanks for any tips

Where are you measuring the 5 volts? At the pump live connection to earth?

This should be 12v

Try a temp supply straight from a known 12v source to the pump. If it works then the fault is elsewhere.

If the pump runs then try the switch. Disconnect the connector to the switch and short it out, effectively bypassing the switch. The pump should run indication the switch itself is at fault.

P.

We're measuring 5v at the connector from the battery to the pump. Where would I find an alternative 12v source?

We're measuring 5v at the connector from the battery to the pump. Where would I find an alternative 12v source?

Leisure Battery pos terminal ?

Also, as suggested above check the earth is good. Again a faulty earth can be proved by putting in a temp earth cable from the pump earth to the neg terminal of the leisure battery and testing the pump.

Ok, will check that out... Thanks guys!

It's very likely this is just the micro switch in your tap. Go in under the sink and locate the connector, unplug and using a short piece of wire complete the circuit on the plug leading to the pump. The pump should work if it's not faulty. If this is the case then you can either replace the tap (reasonably priced part on the Forum shop) or be brave and strip it down, clean the microswitch contacts (they just get sooted up) and put it all back together again. All fun stuff.

So it turns out we are not measuring the right thing and the 5v current was probably a light rather than the pump... Heading back out with the multimeter and more specific instructions in a bit :oops: