Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice - before we spend our life savings!

KernowLad said:
Not sure if I'd feel comfortable spending less than £50 though on anything to do with a Cali ... ;) :lol: :lol:

:laugh2 :laugh2 :rofl

nickstjt said:
Hi,
I would recommend hiring one for a weekend or a week (we hired one from Oli at BMVS who was very helpful and it was really well kitted out). Actually, there was more kit than we probably needed - it was stocked for every eventuality - so worthwhile taking it home to re-pack and work out if you really would need all the cables, mattress topper (comfy, but takes a lot of space), portable DVD/TV etc. I think you can only find out by trying it for yourself. It may seem like a lot of money to spend, but I think it is worth the investment.
--Nick

Thank you Nick

Ref the children question, I have 3, aged 3,5 and 11. We regularly go away, obviously with the fifth seat installed. We always take a driveway awning with bedroom compartments. My two boys, aged 5 and 11 sleep upstairs, my daughter aged 3 sleep in the inner compartment of the Khyam and my wife and I in the outer, both on very comfortable airbeds. Last summer we did 8 countries in 15 days, approx 3000 miles, and took everything we need and more, including a gas BBQ, two kayaks and 5 bikes! You just have to pack strategically- half the fun is making it all fit.

This year in August we are all going to Lake Annecy for 8 nights, taking our 4 metre rib with us. We are all very exited about is holiday :thumb

Just ask if you have any further questions.

And I have a selection of DSG and manual California's for hire........ :mrgreen:

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
nickstjt said:
Hi,

Ref the children question, I have 3, aged 3,5 and 11. We regularly go away, obviously with the fifth seat installed. We always take a driveway awning with bedroom compartments. My two boys, aged 5 and 11 sleep upstairs, my daughter aged 3 sleep in the inner compartment of the Khyam and my wife and I in the outer, both on very comfortable airbeds. Last summer we did 8 countries in 15 days, approx 3000 miles, and took everything we need and more, including a gas BBQ, two kayaks and 5 bikes! You just have to pack strategically- half the fun is making it all fit.

This year in August we are all going to Lake Annecy for 8 nights, taking our 4 metre rib with us. We are all very exited about is holiday :thumb

Just ask if you have any further questions.

And I have a selection of DSG and manual California's for hire........ :mrgreen:

Oli that must be quite a challenge to pack so much gear in your Cali and to be carrying 2 Adults and 3 Children.

I think many of us would be interested in how you utilise the space in your Cali to do it and on such long trips.

I started a topic on packing the Cali in the Cali fun section, could you share some tips and give some advise of how you do it. :thumb

Here's the topic

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1152

John

We bought ours remotely (Preston) having never driven one (the nearest we'd driven was a 174PS Transporter years ago).

That's because we are CRRAAAAAAZYYYY :crazy :crazy :lol:

Turned out fine though :D

Hi

Does anyone know of anywhere (not too far from south wales) that would stock a cali and a beach, so we can have a proper look at what we would prefer? Was erring on the side of the beach, but does it have heating?

welshcat said:
Was erring on the side of the beach, but does it have heating?

Heating is an optional (expensive) extra - I think about £1650 for the "parking heater". I got it for mine, as Winter camping is something I want to do, and my Wife will only agree to that if I can promise toasty warmth inside the Van!

I definitely recommend the Beach, as a family car/camper. Has many advantages over the full camping Cali, particularly the much larger downstairs bed. If you have kids, then ideally, you want them to sleep up in the roof, as they will go to bed first. The downstairs bed in the full-fat Cali is a bit narrow for my liking. Our 2 boys (5 & 8), actually sleep in until 7.30 in the California, unheard of in a tent, when they are normally up at 06.00!

Obviously you loose the ability to cook in the van, but that really is a non-issue for me. We rented a Danbury last year, but only ever boiled water inside the van.

There is a huge amount of storage space in the Beach, I can't forsee a situation where we would need more space (& yes I realise that statement will come back & bite me).

welshcat said:
Hi

Does anyone know of anywhere (not too far from south wales) that would stock a cali and a beach, so we can have a proper look at what we would prefer?

You would be better to get in touch with your nearest VW Van Centres that are Cali dealers.

Cardiff VW is a Cali dealer although not sure they have any stock.

If/when I get mine your welcome to take a look around. :thumb

Carrg said:
Cardiff VW is a Cali dealer although not sure they have any stock.

If/when I get mine your welcome to take a look around. :thumb

Called into Cardiff VW today. They have a new Cali there.

oooo - i phoned them a couple of days ago but they said that they didn't have any, will go for a nose :) thanks!

i phoned them a couple of days ago but they said that they didn't have any

Shows you how quickly things change at this time of year !

syrup1971 said:
welshcat said:
Was erring on the side of the beach, but does it have heating?

Heating is an optional (expensive) extra - I think about £1650 for the "parking heater". I got it for mine, as Winter camping is something I want to do, and my Wife will only agree to that if I can promise toasty warmth inside the Van!

I definitely recommend the Beach, as a family car/camper. Has many advantages over the full camping Cali, particularly the much larger downstairs bed. If you have kids, then ideally, you want them to sleep up in the roof, as they will go to bed first. The downstairs bed in the full-fat Cali is a bit narrow for my liking. Our 2 boys (5 & 8), actually sleep in until 7.30 in the California, unheard of in a tent, when they are normally up at 06.00!

Obviously you loose the ability to cook in the van, but that really is a non-issue for me. We rented a Danbury last year, but only ever boiled water inside the van.

There is a huge amount of storage space in the Beach, I can't forsee a situation where we would need more space (& yes I realise that statement will come back & bite me).

The only thing with the Beach - be very sure about your requirements - because the three seater version is far more MPV than the two seater. It's not a case of one being better than the other, they are just different and will be different to use on a daily basis away from camping/going away

James

If it really is your life savings, then a caravan will give you much more accomodation for much less money.

We gave up our caravan when our boys got too old to holiday with us - and we had to store it the other side of town which was a pain - whereas our Cali fits in the (modified) garage. However in terms of cost effectiveness the caravan was a winner, and spacious, comfortable etc.

with apologies to all Cali enthusiasts :D

I said the same to the Mrs. Caravans are good vfm and good to start with.

She replied "But there not as cool".

Good Girl correct answer :rofl

Carrg said:
I said the same to the Mrs. Caravans are good vfm and good to start with.

She replied "But there not as cool".

Good Girl correct answer :rofl

:) ...correct not as cool or useable :)

High chair!

Glad to see it's not just us trying to work out sleeping arrangements! Usually I sleep on the bottom bed with our 18month old and Nick sleeps up top on his own (which he loves!!!). We're just about to embark on a 4 week trip to Europe on our honeymoon though so it would've nice if we could share a bed for a bit of it!!

Art- re high chair we use a phil and teds clip on one which so far has been working well... Or, we've also used a classic ikea one with tray attached but not the legs and just sitting directly on the chair (with a cover on!)

Re: High chair!

Jo Nick and Minnie said:
Glad to see it's not just us trying to work out sleeping arrangements! Usually I sleep on the bottom bed with our 18month old and Nick sleeps up top on his own (which he loves!!!). We're just about to embark on a 4 week trip to Europe on our honeymoon though so it would've nice if we could share a bed for a bit of it!!

Art- re high chair we use a phil and teds clip on one which so far has been working well... Or, we've also used a classic ikea one with tray attached but not the legs and just sitting directly on the chair (with a cover on!)

Ha congrats :clap

Same here. When are you getting married and setting off?

I've always hankered after a type 2, but more recently I've been thinking of a Cali, and even more recently specifically the beach model.

I'm 37 as is my partner, and we have a (almost) 1 year old. To be honest I'm looking now, but its going to be a year before I'm in a position to consider buying, as I'll likely want to go new or less than a year old.

Can anyone with a Beach say how cold it is in cooler months, considering it doesn't come with the diesel heater. Are there any good aftermarket solutions to temperature? I know my missus will want it toasty hot. Me and the boy however will be happy if we can still feel our toes.

I see a beach as a long termer for me, so probably go for the 3 seat bench model, and likely buy at least 1 additional seat for mpv duties. Looking at keeping maybe 10 years, and then trading up.... well thats the idea, I bought an old mini in 2000 and I've still got it 12 years later, I tend to hang onto motors, even my regular car is now 9 years old (its a Fiat and its not melted into a pile of rust).

I suspect most people in the UK with a Beach, haven't had it long enough to know what winter conditions are really like.

I assume you know, that you can get the parking heater as an (expensive) extra for the Beach? Can't remember the exact price, but somewhere around £1500 I think. I have it in mine, and it works well. I might have gone for double glazing too, if I had gone for factory choice, rather than dealer stock.

Like you, I figured it was a long term purchase, and hence would want to use it year round, so for me, heater was a must.

Alternatives - I'm sure you could retro fit a webasto/erbspacher(sp?) heater, but that would probably be cost the same, and be less integrated. Electric hook up with a fan heater? Big Duvet?

Hi

I'm glad im not the only one who is looking at spending there life savings on a Cali, ( let someone else worry about the mortgage etc :shocked ) at 37 i have come the the conclusion that life is far to short to worry about keeping a nest egg, i would rather look back in 20 years time and think of all the great times my partenr and i had in our little Cali :barmy

Like a few of you im looking at a late 2010-2011 model, which is about what my budget can stretch to if i still want to eat :D Anyone regreted there purchase yet ?

Can wait to hit all the nice surf beaches of the uk

happy hunting

Steve

I was only sad I hadn't bought one years before...

tesco_value_baked_beans.jpg