Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to "live the dream"

Outanbout

Outanbout

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hello to all of you.

It's taken a few years to get to this point for one reason or other, but we will be taking delivery our first camper van (an Ocean) later this week. Exciting stuff for us for sure,
There are many Cali related thoughts going around in my head at the moment. The least being, what are the basic/starter/essential things we need to get us up and running for our first taste of freedom.
Therefore, on that basis I would really appreciate any advice and guidance you feel would help.
Some of my initial thoughts:
Types of bedding to make sleeping more comfortable.
Types of pots/pans/knives/forks.
Kettle. Electric or gas heated.

Thank you for taking time to read this post, and looking forward to your replies.

Chris.

Welcome Chris,
We just raided the drawers for cutlery, and knives. Obviously you need a bottle opener. Scissors are also useful. We have melamine bowls and plates from an old picnic set and a few ceramic and melamine cups.
Bought unbreakable plastic glasses from eBay. A little neat set of Alpkit pans which clean well, and both an electric kettle and a gas one,
what we did splash out on were sleeping bags, Alpkit and mountain equipment, can’t enjoy the van if you can’t sleep well. Bike rack was essential for us. Got a porta potti, and have used it a few times.
Hope this helps.

:welcome Outandabout

here is a camping list you can use it to modify your Cali list

hope this helps

Definitely a portaloo. Weve bought the thetford 335as it fits under the rear shelf and in an upturned dunelm storage cube to make an extra seat or footstool.
Ridgemonkey for cooking. Helps keep smells and splashes down a d stores easily.

Thank you for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated.
Was thinking about taking duvets to start with, but perhaps sleeping bags are a better idea as can be rolled up small.
Plus quite a number of bits mentioned in the check list.

What are your thoughts on an additional mattress for the lower bed, either blow up or roll up?

Thanks again.

Chris.

I’m also taking the plunge, we are tent campers at heart but bought a slightly camperised van which we’ve loved the last seven years but now it’s time for the real thing.
I’d advise doing your first trip with your bedding from home. Take too much stuff, you’ll soon work out what you don’t need. You’ll also forget things, every trip to a large supermarket on tour results in coming out with more kitchen or bed gear, etc.

Our preferred bedding is a large variety of sleeping bags for any season - it’s worth it for us when in the tent but I am not sure it makes sense to buy them solely for the van, each one costs the thick end of 100 quid and upwards.

Ps there’s an Outwell (I think) self inflating double mattress for the lower bed. Someone here will advise but it’s a perfect fit.

Personall, get it, try it, get what YOU need for your particular circumstance

Re downstair mattress: We went with the Brandrup thing and it folds perfectly on the back shelf.
The SeaSummit looks good:

Back