Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 Motion v 2Wheel front Drive

No Kernowlad its the way you regurgitate the same complaints again and again...(and almost seem to take pleasure in doing so).

Your opinions on your Cali are extremely well documented by yourself.

When I joined the forum initially your posts almost put me off buying a California.

I'm glad to say I did buy one and absolutely love my Cali experiences.

For any T5 prospective buyer the forum contains (via the search button) all peoples previous experiences.

I hope having bought a 2015 T5 that the majority of faults people have experienced on this forum have been rectified and at least having researched it I will have gone into ownership with my eyes open.

It has nothing to do with being "warm and fluffy" its your tone and that you consider yourself a self professed expert on so many different areas...you also seem for some strange reason like to bait people and get a reaction...

No one knows what the T6 will be like for reliability so one can only guess at this point.

I certainly hope it is an enhancement on the T5 and I'll watch owners experiences as they appear on the forum with interest and positivity...

Copied and pasted from the new brochure..........This however could have been a translated version of the German brochure, i honestly don't know.......so it is available .....but maybe not over here

Mechanical Differential Lock. The mechanical differential lock is optionally
available for the rear axle together in conjunction with the optional 4MOTION
all-wheel drive. This makes starting up in adverse conditions, such as driving
off-road, much easier.

Copied and pasted from the new brochure..........This however could have been a translated version of the German brochure, i honestly don't know.......so it is available .....but maybe not over here

Cool, cheers Smudge, to be honest I can't remember seeing it as an option on the last T5 price list, but I know it was available - have to chat with the dealer when I finally go for the T6 ;) :) If VW are still in business!! :p

Cool, I'll have a look tomorrow - I'm away on business at the moment in a lovely hotel, in lovely countryside just outside Darlington - but with incredibly slow internet!!

Actually it got me thinking (bringing this back on topic!!), there has been talk of factory fitted diff locks to the 4Motion - I couldn't see this option in the old T5 options list (just superseded) or in the new T6 options list.

Do people know if it is still available?
:p
The California T6 has electric diff locks as standard (using the ABS system and brakes presumably) and manual mechanical diff locks as an option.

In fact i can do one better than that....i have just found the link that i got it from

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/brochures.html
That is a great brochure Smudge. As well as the info on Diff Lock also gives great detail on other specs. I presume it is not the UK edition which will hopefully be out in such detail soon. As an example it shows different engine size option with 4Motion. Very odd, I wonder why the difference. In the brochure it gives the option of 4 Motion with DSG on the 150BHP but not in the UK one I have seen.

Hi Michael,

Based on my experiences with buying a T5 2015 California.

I too had the "international" brochure which is the same as the one above.

It shows all configurations but unfortunately they are not available in all countries.

The UK brochure was accurate with respect to what engines were available on what models (see below).

I believe many of the previous brochures are available in the VIP area if you want to compare.

I can't remember (in the last few years) a Beach being available with 4motion and DSG in the UK.

I believe (stand to be corrected) but 4motion and DSG were only available on the SE with the 180PS engine (now the 204PS).

upload_2015-9-24_12-8-16.png

Hi Michael,

Based on my experiences with buying a T5 2015 California.

I too had the "international" brochure which is the same as the one above.

It shows all configurations but unfortunately they are not available in all countries.

The UK brochure was accurate with respect to what engines were available on what models (see below).

I believe many of the previous brochures are available in the VIP area if you want to compare.

I can't remember (in the last few years) a Beach being available with 4motion and DSG in the UK.

I believe (stand to be corrected) but 4motion and DSG were only available on the SE with the 180PS engine (now the 204PS).

View attachment 10147
Thanks Mark"

Yep seems they have done exactly the same with the T6. I just thought it odd to give different options on engine size availibity with 4Motion in different countries.

What I'd suggest you do (and any other prospective buyer) is request from a dealership a copy of the latest pricing and options spreadsheet (not the glossy brochure / print off).

I've attached the 2014 version which you can see shows all engine configurations but also all orderable options (for example Diff lock).

This sheet is what the dealership orders your California on and is therefore in my experience more accurate than the brochures.

Hope it helps...

Attachments

• 140401 California Pricing Option Ext_635319694915549140.zip
    101 KB · Views: 9
  • 140401 California Pricing Option Ext_635319694915549140.zip
    101 KB · Views: 9
What I'd suggest you do (and any other prospective buyer) is request from a dealership a copy of the latest pricing and options spreadsheet (not the glossy brochure / print off).

I've attached the 2014 version which you can see shows all engine configurations but also all orderable options (for example Diff lock).

This sheet is what the dealership orders your California on and is therefore in my experience more accurate than the brochures.

Hope it helps...
Excellent! Good to know .

Hi, every body has a different view, however for stability and security when you drive on normal roads but wet and, for safety in general, the 4motion is the one to have.

The waste of money is the 180 or the new 205 bhp, they add nothing to safety. You can read this from every road tests carry out by various car magazines, for ex Auto Express on line test and Parker.co.uk.

The 4motion is good for safety as every 4x4 car is as you have traction on all wheels when needed most.

Regards.

The waste of money is the 180 or the new 205 bhp, they add nothing to safety.
They do give you that extra margin when you overtake that tractor :D

I am completely satisfied with my DSG cali with 140hp and 2WD, but would sometimes need 4WD or at least the manual transmission. Cali is a heavy vehicle and can have problems starting uphill on the gravel road. Snow is not a problem, I live in the Alps with lots of snow, winter tyres and chains are all you ever need.

They do give you that extra margin when you overtake that tractor :D
I've said this before somewhere but I'll say it again anyway. I strongly believe that power in reserve is a safety measure. I desperately want to be able to have the 205 with the 4Motion and DSG as long as it is reliable. I am convinced by the DSG as I have had one one for 11 years. I am as yet unsure how this marries up with the the 4 Motion and I am concerned about the reliability and servicing of the larger Diesel engines. Going to need hands on test drive to find out.

Depends where it is; in Sweden you have to fit spiked tyres six months a year by law.
Just to make it clear, studded tires is not a requirement in sweden, it is forbidden during summer and on some streets in stockholm in the winter.
What is a requirement by law, when there is winter conditions on the road, is winter tires. Huge difference on snow and ice to summer tires.
I have not been using studded tires for twenty years.

I've said this before somewhere but I'll say it again anyway. I strongly believe that power in reserve is a safety measure. I desperately want to be able to have the 205 with the 4Motion and DSG as long as it is reliable. I am convinced by the DSG as I have had one one for 11 years. I am as yet unsure how this marries up with the the 4 Motion and I am concerned about the reliability and servicing of the larger Diesel engines. Going to need hands on test drive to find out.
You won't be disappointed.:thumb

You won't be disappointed.:thumb
I've never owned a Cali before. We collect it this week. I have chosen a T5 180 dsg with 4motion and diff lock for the following reasons:
1. Getting out of wet and boggy grass camp sites. So far I have had no experience of this.
2. Peace of mind when exploring more inaccessible and remote areas. We always go for the roads with the dotted lines down the sides on the OS maps.
3. We want to use our Cali all year round regardless of weather.
4. Occasionally towing a 1.6 tonne trailer and old car to events. We are often asked to park on grass fields and have seen people get stuck on several occasions.
Whilst I think I have made the right choice, only time will tell. As our plan is to replace it before the warranty runs out, I will review the choice then.
Has anyone had any experience towing with a 180 dsg 4motion?
Any advice is very welcome.

Just in case anybody is reading this thread and is asking what is a differential in the first place...this is a lovely video from the 1930's

Back