Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California beach - what options to chose - help needed

D

Dombo

I am close to order my california beach. I need to import it as i need to have a LHD model. I am nervous to forget the unforgettable! If you could review the below list and tell me if i am missing some options/accessories, or having some useless one, that would be awesome.
The main question is should i go for
Option 1: 140HP DSG
Option 2: 180HP DSG 4 motion
140HP is sufficient for me, but i would like the 4 motion, which is not possible on the 140 DSG version. 4 motion is a luxury, but i m thinking that camping is best off-road, thus 4 motion should be a must have. But i am a bit concern with the additional fuel consumption that would go with option 2. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Now in regards to the options that i have chosen. here is the list:

Metallic paint
Fixed towbar
Climatronic 3 zones
7VF heater
Parking sensors font and back
2 single armchairs
3 beach seat
Rubbish bins and drawers under triple seat
Windows in living space tinted
awning in black
Side panel for awning
sleeping mat
roof bar set
Rubber mats
folding table 2x
Shower tent
Third key
Bike rack for 4 bikes

In regards to the tow bar, i m planing to go for the fixed one to protect the back of my van. (i used to have a 4x4 which back has been very protected than to the fixed tow bar). is it annoying to have it constantly between your legs on the back of the car or it doesn't matter?
i am still questioning if i should take the electrical mirror folding.
But any other option that i should absolutely have?

A lot of questions here, hope i could get answer to some of them. Thanks already for your help,
Dom

Hi,

The multifunction steering wheel is a must if you ask me not only for the functions but for the whole feel of the cabin.
We also like the inbuilt navigation as the directions also come up in the multifunction display between the dials and in LHD version there is a cheaper version i believe.
Check that the factory fits upprated struts if you are going to have a 4 bike rack on the rear door.
Last option for me would be the electrical assistance for the big side door (100Euros).

Where are you ordering from?

//Martin

mostly the same spec as my one which I picked up a few weeks ago. I think the only additional pieces I added were the cool/warm box, headlight protectors, MF Steering wheel, DAB radio, and some side rubber strips down the side of the van to stop dents from car doors in car parks! oh, and also I got a rear bumper protector to stop damage when hauling stuff in and out

I didn't get the comfort mattress as I think I'll try some other more flexible options, and got the removable tow bar - I will be purchasing a tow bar mounted tipping-back 4 bike carrier at some point.

otherwise, I think that's about it! good luck with your purchase!

oh, and I did go for the electric folding windows...a necessity I think in some of the places I have to park...people on the school run come flying past down a narrow road when I'm parked up there...!

I think the fixed tow bar is a nuisance, I had one on an estate car a few years ago and cursed :censor when I walked into it. I have a removable Westfalia one on my Yeti and California and wouldn't go back to a fixed one now. Also looks so much better.

Although you may feel it gives you protection when parking, it can also make things more awkward, not pedestrian friendly and there have been people on here complaining about it interfering with the parking sensors.

Just my thoughts....

Andy

Can I add a suggestion - the auto closing function for the side door (and potentially boot – they used to be a single option) really help. The door closing in particular means that you don't have to slam the door in the middle of the night to get it to closed.... saves waking those in the van and camping around! It’s just a gentle electrical whir instead having quietly rolled the door to near shut. Don't go for the full electric door mind, the beep will drive you mad, its problematic and opens the door fully (freezing!).

Also don't forget the second side window... very useful to get airflow through the van (vs leaving a door open or starting the ignition to drop a front window). With the mosquito nets added they are ideal in hot climates.

Steve.

Thanks a lot for your very useful answer. Anyone could help me on the 4 motion option. is it really worth the difference? I imagine myself camping in the forest/mountain off-road and not on hight-way, thus i thought that could be useful. But i m puzzled by the additional diesel consumption. Any advise to tilt the balance? thanks a lot, Dom

Dombo said:
Thanks a lot for your very useful answer. Anyone could help me on the 4 motion option. is it really worth the difference? I imagine myself camping in the forest/mountain off-road and not on hight-way, thus i thought that could be useful. But i m puzzled by the additional diesel consumption. Any advise to tilt the balance? thanks a lot, Dom

A set of all seasons tyres on FWD would be better than a set of summer tyres on a 4 motion. I have the Dunlops like these http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5771 and dreading the winter so have bought a set of winter tyres.

I'll leave it to the wisdom of 4 motion owners as to whether it is worth the extra cost and fuel consumption :D

Andy

Never got stuck or had issues with 2wd 140 in muddy fields and woodlands... it depends how off road / track you want to go - you will be limited most by the ground clearance and a desire to avoid damaging your new van.

Steve.