Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 side or driveway awning

P

pbrown150

Just back from my first overnight trip in the Cali and it was superb. 3 out of 4 days sunshine which is not bad for Scotland this time of year. But with two adults and two small kids felt the lack of a transition space between the cali and the outside. Think an awning is in order. But which type? We were using a tent to store extra gear but it didn't really stand up to a rainy and windy night of about 30mph. Not sure the awnings would either? Anyone have any views on which is the best option or the pros and cons of each type?

The three sides for awning are excellent, and we have these as part of our hire fleet, however they don't allow you to drive away, and leave them, with your kit in them. We have now added Vango Airbeams to our fleet, and they are great, very compact, easy to put up, and allow you to leave them standing alone.

We are running a deal on these to VIP members if interested?

of course the issue of storing gear never occurred to me in the 3 side scenario. how does the air beam work. i did a google.. is it just a tent or is there an awning option? how would the 3 side stand up to those stiff western scotland sea breezes?

It's a full on drive away awning, easily put up in under 20 mins(10 when you get the hang of it). And can be fully sealed when you drive off for the day.

Sounds great. Where can I get a good look at it and what is the deal?

Looks good. Particularly like the fact that it looks robust. Like those tension straps!!! Let me ponder and get used to the price tag and I'll get back to you ;-)

Hi Oli, could you tell me what size it packs down to. Sorry if this has been covered and thanks.

Kitty

Kitty A said:
Hi Oli, could you tell me what size it packs down to. Sorry if this has been covered and thanks.

Kitty

Hi Kitty

The sizes are as follows;

Kela; L78.0 x H33.0 x W35.0cm

SaperaL78.0 x H36.0 x W38.0cm

Hope that helps :thumb

Thanks Oli. I've just got my tape measure out and that really is compact. We inherited a Khyam, but as we don't always put it up we find it takes up too much room. We are planning a 6 week trip round France, Spain and Portugal in the summer (hurrah!) and like the previous post are debating between a drive away, a three sider, or Mr A's personal choice, making do.
Some friends of our recently saw the Kela at the NEC show and were raving about it.
Incidentally, I've learnt lots of useful things from you over the months, so thanks for that!
Kitty x

Any thoughts on whether the Kela or Sapera? Aside from price of course strikes me the Sapera is a bit too big!!

Kitty A said:
Thanks Oli. I've just got my tape measure out and that really is compact. We inherited a Khyam, but as we don't always put it up we find it takes up too much room. We are planning a 6 week trip round France, Spain and Portugal in the summer (hurrah!) and like the previous post are debating between a drive away, a three sider, or Mr A's personal choice, making do.
Some friends of our recently saw the Kela at the NEC show and were raving about it.
Incidentally, I've learnt lots of useful things from you over the months, so thanks for that!
Kitty x

Thanks Kitty

Up until now we've always had the Khyams on our fleet, but after taking a look at the Vango's, we sold all our Khyams, and swapped over to them. They are so much quicker to erect, lighter and more compact.

Fwiw I'm also struggling to decide over the kela or sapera. I'd really like the space for our toddler but is it too big?

Does anyone know if the kela and sapera will attach to my Cali awning out of the box or do I need some other apparatus too?

Just a wee update bought the vango sapera from Oli and it is fantastic. Made a huge difference with the kids. It was a wet weekend in the Trossachs and I was really impressed with how waterproof it was. Would highly recommend.

jonesey said:
Does anyone know if the kela and sapera will attach to my Cali awning out of the box or do I need some other apparatus too?

Hi Jonesy I would definitely recommend the Sapera the extra room was very welcome and fit easily on a standard pitch. Extra kit is a kador strip and figure of 8

Back