Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2010 SE 180 TDI ?

B

BigPritch

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Guys,
just put a deposit down on one of these, and have now heard some concerns over this engine.
Does anyone know if this is a ‘BiTurbo engine” or just a ‘Turbo’.
Obvs like some expert advice from here please.
Many thanks

Sorry, meant to add tried doing a search on this, but search is not working……so apologies if this has been ‘done to death’.

Yes the 180hp engine is the BiTurbo.

It’s a dice roll if you buy one of these vans that’s the hard truth.

I bought one last year but went into it with my eyes open and fully informed.

What is the mileage of the van?

Last edited:
Thanks, silly question, would mine be a BiTurbo ?
Thanks
Yes it is a BiTurbo 180, as is mine. Now on 127,545 miles . 0mls oil consumption between annual oil changes.
Not All such engines are affected, probably a minority because only those with a problem complain on the Internet. Those without a problem just enjoy the vehicle.

Just carry out the checks / tests mentioned in the article. Any issues just walk away.

Hi Guys,
just put a deposit down on one of these, and have now heard some concerns over this engine.
Does anyone know if this is a ‘BiTurbo engine” or just a ‘Turbo’.
Obvs like some expert advice from here please.
Many thanks
Yes it has the worrying engine. The biggest immediate risk is that it already has the problem and is being quickly sold on. Is it a trade or private sale? If the latter, how long has the previous owner had it / mileage etc.

Yes it has the worrying engine. The biggest immediate risk is that it already has the problem and is being quickly sold on. Is it a trade or private sale? If the latter, how long has the previous owner had it / mileage etc.
Trade sale, and they say its going to be MOT/Serviced checked etc. They are going to change the cam belt & water pump as its due.

Yes the 180hp engine is the BiTurbo.

It’s a dice roll if you buy one of these vans that’s the hard truth.

I bought one last year but went into it with my eyes open and fully informed.

What is the mileage of the van?
Nearly 60k…...

Nearly 60k…...
I’m lead to believe these problems manifest at approx 60-80k so definitely in the danger zone (I bought mine at 68k).

I took a punt as a) mine was a 2015 model
And b) I got it from VW with a 12 month warranty, that certainly helped to ease my mind!

Risk....I have a 2015 with a C prefix cooler. Owned from new so I thought it best to keep an eye on it, when the jury was out on the C prefix cooler. Regular oil changes and I've had the oil checked numerous times.

At 43k miles I decided enough was enough, VW were ignoring the issue, and the jury was still out on the D coolers, so i added an emulator.

Checked the oil subsquently and all good! Now on 74k

That year and model. Up to you, but I wouldn’t buy it.

Risk....I have a 2015 with a C prefix cooler. Owned from new so I thought it best to keep an eye on it, when the jury was out on the C prefix cooler. Regular oil changes and I've had the oil checked numerous times.

At 43k miles I decided enough was enough, VW were ignoring the issue, and the jury was still out on the D coolers, so i added an emulator.

Checked the oil subsquently and all good! Now on 74k
So would that work on a 2010 engine, and if I may ask, how much to put that fix in please ?
Thanks

So would that work on a 2010 engine, and if I may ask, how much to put that fix in please ?
Thanks
Just get the egr blanked off using the dark side kit and the EGR mapped out, that’s what I did for peace of mind. Technically illegal but passes the MOT fine.

However, as others have stated if it’s already burning loads of oil the damage has been done and it’s too late.

Thanks
Mileage over the years is low so check the service history for regular oil changes. Check the cooler prefix as well. A Milner oil test, if possible, would be a good indicator (aluminum content in the oil will build up over time). Also ask the garage to do a compression test

Personally I would avoid. Had 180 from new no issues sold when 4 years old trade in. A new possible owner had it pressure tested at the VW dealer. It had compression issues and he did not purchase.. No sign on daily use at timel of trade in.

A Milner oil test, if possible, would be a good indicator (aluminum content in the oil will build up over time). Also ask the garage to do a compression test

But can't a seller/garage just change oil shortly before an oil sample is taken, in order to give a cleaner result?

Most people with see a recent service / oil change when buying a van as a good thing, so wont question it.

Yes, but it takes time to dilute out of the "system"....I watched my aluminum level content drop and did another oil change at 5k to help this. When it hit 14ppm I was happy and haven't bothered since

I also paid extra to have it flushed at every oil change.

Just get the egr blanked off using the dark side kit and the EGR mapped out, that’s what I did for peace of mind. Technically illegal but passes the MOT fine.

However, as others have stated if it’s already burning loads of oil the damage has been done and it’s too late.
Thanks - worth considering.
No idea of how much oil its burning tbh, they cant tell me that.

Longshot, but post the number plate on here, maybe the previous owner is on the forum & can give you some details.

I bought an ex-rental 2010, 180 Bi Turbo Cali which had done 60k miles in three years. Unbeknown to me the new 180 engines built between 2010/11 were the most likely to have this oil consumption issue.

Three years later at 80k miles, the problem arose and I had to replace the engine at a cost of £7k, now around £10k plus. I also serviced the engine annually thereafter.

Later 180 engines, 2012 onwards, are more reliable although the issue does still occur occasionally.

Do check the EGR plate at the front of the engine by the oil filter to see what the part number suffix is. If it is D then the EGR and or the engine has been replaced and the problem may well have been solved.

If the engine or EGR have not been replaced then I would walk away.

Alan

I wouldn't buy it without a full and solid money back guarantee if it uses any oil in the first 1k miles. Ironically in a way it's more risky from a dealer as they won't know why it was sold.... And plenty get chopped in part ex when problems (of all types) start to occur.

EVERYONE
Thanks for all your replies, I have the Engine No, if that is ANY guidance, but seriously thinking this is a non starter tbh .

Engine No - CFC016971

Afraid dont know the EGR no yet...

Back