Guy windsurfer+MTB

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hallo,

I'm new to this group.

I don't own a California (yet).

I'm a windsurfer and mountain biker.

This is how I do things right now.

I have an old Ford Mondeo Estate, which is fine for 2 people, 2 windsurf boards with fixed fins, 5 sails, 4 pieces of masts, 2 wishbones, 1 29" mountain bike with front wheel removed, all windsurfing and mountain biking clothes, all inside the car (now I realize I could even remove my back seats to gain more space), it’s totally filled, but it works with the tops of the windsurf boards comfortably over our heads (no problem), I can even take 3 windsurf boards but then the passenger must stay at home. You see I can fit a lot of things in small places.

I leave everything in the car year round. This is very convenient. For daily use I have 2 seats and when buying groceries I fill some spaces here and there to fill it completely. When going on a trip I have all my toys with me, I never forget something and loose no time loading the car, when there is no good wind I take the MTB, etc. No problems with stealing, I have even a black cover to put over my toys so nobody sees the mess inside.

Now you expect the next question.

I would like to upgrade to VW California but go on with the same system of leaving everything in the van and being able to sleep downstairs. I know I'm asking a lot, and adding my elektrical MTB.

So no roof racks (maybe a very low profile just in case) and no bicycle racks.

I know most windsurfers use a LWB VW transporter or a Westfalia LWB, and I understand why.

But I need a SWB because I need to make a 90° turn to turn in my garage in the city and the road is too narrow for a LWB (1/2 of turning circle I think 11,9 m / 2 = 5,95 m). A VW T6 SWB would work.

I know I’m asking a lot of the little space in the SWB California, but if I compare to the Ford Mondeo 1 bike more and being able to sleep seems possible by the extra height, width and length (+shorter bonnet) of the SWB.

But then again I’m maybe dreaming.

1 bike less would also work. But I prefer 2 : 1 normal mountain bike and 1 electric mountain bike.

So I was thinking and I ask you experts :

We only travel with 2.

I was thinking about VW SWB California Ocean / Beach / Caravelle / Transporter.

I have 2 boards and I want them inside (mainly during travel). Short board 230 cm x 55 cm wide, biggest board 246 cm x 78 cm wide (this biggest board could be smaller if really necessary).

I was thinking :

In Beach 2 boards on the ceiling inside next to each other sideways.

Example 2 stacked surfboards , not windsurf boards :

A windsurf board is of course thicker than a surfboard, but about same thickness as 2 surfboards.

Different positions of the windsurf boards are possible : fins up or down, I think tops in front and fins up, but could work otherwise, hope not to remove fins.

I think the hinging cupboard above/in the tailgate needs to be removed, if not the boards will be much more in front.

I would prefer Ocean to Beach.

In Ocean the furniture on the left will make 2 boards on the ceiling impossible, so 1 on the ceiling and the second one under the back seat removing the drawer.

I found :

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-do-you-carry-skis.22293/page-2

In the winter I always remove the big slider storage box underneath the bench ( to small screws inside the box locks it to the rails), and also the black box with the jack. Plenty of room for at least four par of alpine skis (free rider skis). We store it outside the vehicle at night. That’s okay here in Norway...

Instead of 4 ski's 1 (small) windsurf board would pass I think/hope.

VW California back seat drawer.png

Is this correct ? What is the width and height of the opening when the drawer is removd ?

Then there are 5 sails, the widest being 170 cm, 4 tiny pieces of mast 230 cm long, 2 wishbones. Also under the bed.

I hope not to offend people, but the closet in the Ocean on the left side might avoid 2 windsurf boards against the ceiling. A modular closet would be better for this reason, being able to remove the top part. I said before I don't want to offend people but I was even thinking of sawing the top part of this closet, remove the top part, or put it back inside connected with a couple of sliding locks if I don’t hang the 2 windsurf board to the ceiling.

VW California furniture.png

I now Reimo makes furniture for Beach model, but Ocean interior looks better has more capacity and is better integrated. If there would be a good solution for Beach this would also be OK.

I see some electricity cables on the back side.

I know I go a bit (too) far.

But I also have 2 MTB I want to put inside as well.

During driving : open the bed, 2 MTB on protective cover on bed with front wheels removed, 1 board hanging over it, 1 board under the bed / 2 boards hanging against ceiling.

During sleeping downstairs : 2 MTB sideways without front wheel, steering wheel parallel to frame (total length from end of tyre to end of steering wheel 160 cm - 170 cm), after front seats and maybe a bit skewed (might be difficult, I think 1 MTB is possible, maybe 2) : fixed back tyre between left front seat and cupboard, 1 board under bed, 1 board hanging on ceiling / 2 boards hanging against ceiling.

If necessary I do some more sawing. No panic, not to Cali, but saw some pieces of the handle bar (of the MTB's).

By the way I want to avoid opening the roof for sleeping in center of town.

In safe campsites all the toys go out, roof opens, boards under the car, etc.

1594375770146.png

I know I won't have much space for other things.

Sorry, for this long explanation.

Hi Guy,

you pose an interesting question. I think your requirements deviate quite a long way from what the strengths of the Ocean offer. I would go to a Campervan builder with your exact requirements and have something bespoke made. I think what you propose is possible but the Ocean is not the best starting point.

When I was living in the States I could not find what I wanted (basically a California Ocean) so I built my own. The best thing I did was start with logistic track mounted to the roof and walls inside the vehicle. This then allowed anything to be attached inside the vehicle safely and also allowed cabinets etc to be fitted and removed fairly quickly. Boards or hammocks could be secured to the ceiling. If sleeping is only required for 1 person ‘downstairs’ and no rear seat is required the bench seat doesn’t seem ideal. A folding bed against the wall or even a hammock might be better to work around the storage. There is a link below showing the logistic track used in my van.

Beach: with 2 Seat bench,. Boards down the side.

Beach: 3 seat Bench, remove headrests + boards suspended from ceiling

Ocean: Chopping the top off the wardrobe would work (although a bit extreme, and would affect the value of the van), then would have an extended worktop instead and put the boards on top. Our T2 Viking conversion was set up like that and 5 of us used to manage for 3 months in France, but we didn't have bikes.

Wow, you keep a lot of stuff in your car ;-) I surf and I mountainbike, so I can relate. Considering you want everything inside a beach or ocean doesn't seem like the obvjous choice if you ask me. I don't know how big of an issue your budget is, but both budget and your requirements to me suggest that your best way to go would be to either buy a VW Transporter and convert it into a campervan yourself or let a (semi-)professional convert it for you. This way you can make it exactly to suit your needs.

The "problem" with the Ocean is that the seats and drawer take up a lot of volume. If I'm travelling alone, I put the bed flat and put my surfboards on there, can easily fit a 7'0". If I have passengers, the boards go on the roof but I guess that isn't an option for you. If you moved the seats all the way forward you would get your bike in but probably not your boards and you wouldn't be able to use the downstairs bed if you wanted to keep your bike inside the van at night.
d524295c435e2c899e32a29688a3ffc1.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The "problem" with the Ocean is that the seats and drawer take up a lot of volume. If I'm travelling alone, I put the bed flat and put my surfboards on there, can easily fit a 7'0". If I have passengers, the boards go on the roof but I guess that isn't an option for you. If you moved the seats all the way forward you would get your bike in but probably not your boards and you wouldn't be able to use the downstairs bed if you wanted to keep your bike inside the van at night.

Remove drivers headrest, rest the nose on the dashboard, put a roofrack strap around the roofbed to make a sling?

Yeah, that would work.

Hi Guy,

you pose an interesting question. I think your requirements deviate quite a long way from what the strengths of the Ocean offer. I would go to a Campervan builder with your exact requirements and have something bespoke made. I think what you propose is possible but the Ocean is not the best starting point.

When I was living in the States I could not find what I wanted (basically a California Ocean) so I built my own. The best thing I did was start with logistic track mounted to the roof and walls inside the vehicle. This then allowed anything to be attached inside the vehicle safely and also allowed cabinets etc to be fitted and removed fairly quickly. Boards or hammocks could be secured to the ceiling. If sleeping is only required for 1 person ‘downstairs’ and no rear seat is required the bench seat doesn’t seem ideal. A folding bed against the wall or even a hammock might be better to work around the storage. There is a link below showing the logistic track used in my van.

This is a nice and flexible system.

I assume this is a Ford SWB, about the same size as a VW SWB.

Can I ask you what size your windsurfboard is (is it windsurf).

Luckilly now windsurfboards are shorter, a bit wider and thicker and more rectangular shape instead of pointed (in the '80 I had a 90 liter F2 nearly 3 m long).

The logistic track is a great idea, but I was thinking of using it in a different way :

- putting 2 or 3 tracks on the wall but vertical top / down.
By the way this would allow to be fixed to a Beach maybe.

- and then tension 4 mm steelcables horizontally with cabletensioners with some plastic tubes around the cables it for protection, and then make adaptable compartiments horizontally and vertically in plastic nets for the sails, etc. Maybe sleeping underneath this pack on the floor base, and 2 bicycles right in a sliding slot.

Thanks.

I understand indeed.

Have you ever tried to put a bicycle with the front wheel removed behind the front seat with some foam protection (either turned in front or in the back). Handlebar in the lenght. There seems to be 20 cm space between the front left seat and the cabinet. I was even thinking about 2 bikes.

I have never tried but it could be possible. It would make access to the sliding door very difficult.

Beach: with 2 Seat bench,. Boards down the side.

Beach: 3 seat Bench, remove headrests + boards suspended from ceiling

Ocean: Chopping the top off the wardrobe would work (although a bit extreme, and would affect the value of the van), then would have an extended worktop instead and put the boards on top. Our T2 Viking conversion was set up like that and 5 of us used to manage for 3 months in France, but we didn't have bikes.

Yes, that's a good idea.

Would 2 boards next to each other sideways be possible hanging on a sling on the ceiling (let us call it an inverted roof rack or a ceiling rack) ?

What is the width at nearly top level ? Would 55 cm + 78 cm pass ? I can buy smaller than 78 cm but I want to learn to foil and this bigger board would be windsurf + foil board. Ah, then the foil goes in as well.

I understand the Beach with 2 seat bench but then I loose al lot of useful down space, useful for kitchen. I think using the height is better.

Yes, decapitation of the wardrobe is quite extreme but it could be done with such a clean electrical saw and the covering with an aluminium strip.

Maybe Beach is better option + low cabinets of Reimo and in the back flexible bags to fill up until the left board on the ceiling.

I found a German forum discussing the same topic : https://www.caliboard.de/topic/7786...-sitzbank-möglich/?tab=comments#comment-90527

German is not my native language but I understand it enough.

They are saying it's not possible to put a windsurfboard under and through the backseat with the drawer removed.

This surprise me because the drawer seems quite wide and high.

1594464798156.png

Somebody knows the exact maximum dimensions of this hole ?

Maybe they were testing with bigger boards in 2013.

Furtheron they have a discussion because VW makes a campaing with Björn Dunkebeck a former windsurf worldchampion. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/gallery/bjorn-dunkerbeck.1647/

The German windsurfer who wants his windsurfboard under the backseat get a bit angry with this publicity.

Back