Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surfboards inside T4 high top?

callena

callena

VIP Member
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has managed to set up an internal surfboard rack in their high top? We've got a '92 high top with rack on the side which holds 2 boards, but as a family of 4 would like to try and get another couple inside the van if we can.

We normally surf our local break or can get away with boards in the middle, but summer hols will be a lot of travelling so need them put up out of the way if we take the kids a board each with us aswell as ours! Was wondering if we could set something up right at the top of the high top - length wise should be able to fit a 6' shortboard or maybe a 7' minimal, but anyone set up anything to keep them up there?

We've carried a couple of lightweight foamies ontop of the bed up there but they did shoot forward a couple of times and had to be pushed back whilst we were driving along - and wouldn't want a hardboard up there like that.

:) Sadie

Hi Sadie,

Have you thought about getting another Sherpa Rack for the other side, so you can keep all the boards outside?
Is yours a long wheel base van? If so I'm sure you could find some way of fixing some bungee straps up on the inside of the roof.

Here is a picture of mine. I had a Sherpa rack on it, but the wife wasn't impressed with the look for daily driving! I've just modified a rack to hang Kayaks up in a garage and fitted to the side of the van ( they fold round flat to the side when not needed ) .

Going away camping, now feels a bit like a game of Buckaroo! What with bike racks and back boxes, Kayak.DSCN0389_zpsd042f1a8.jpgDSCN0077_zps4a39c550.jpg511a03ab-192f-48ee-8271-6c3ad0cc4798_zpsb08c9cd4.jpg

I've got a LWB high top and my board just sits on the bed up top with the nose on the front shelf with a bunjee round it. Seems to stay put OK.

I''m also thinking of putting a hatch in the back of the high top so I can get my 9" 6 log in as well :thumb

Hi both,
Sorry I didn't spot your replies - didn't get notification for some reason!

We ended up with my 7'6 minimal and my daughters 6' in the same travel bag (hers fitted nicely next to the van inside the rack) with my husbands 8' on the outside. It wasn;'t a perfect fit and relied heavily on the use of straps to hold them onto the side but it worked :) Meant we couldn't open the window in the high top but oh well :D

Its a SWB cali high top so the 6' would probably have just about fitted into the high top with bungee to hold it in place (its not long enough to rest on the front shelf) but in the end we decided it would be too much hassle removing it each night when we set up camp. 3 boards between the 4 of us meant we always had someone with the kit on the beach and we could just alternate. Might have to rig something different up for next time though!

I'll look at getting another rack for the other side, I like your folding in variety!
:) Sadie

IMG_20140802_145512.jpg

Hi Sadie,

Have you thought about getting another Sherpa Rack for the other side, so you can keep all the boards outside?
Is yours a long wheel base van? If so I'm sure you could find some way of fixing some bungee straps up on the inside of the roof.

Here is a picture of mine. I had a Sherpa rack on it, but the wife wasn't impressed with the look for daily driving! I've just modified a rack to hang Kayaks up in a garage and fitted to the side of the van ( they fold round flat to the side when not needed ) .

Going away camping, now feels a bit like a game of Buckaroo! What with bike racks and back boxes, Kayak.View attachment 4768View attachment 4769View attachment 4770
Hello Pabloalfa, how did you mount the Sherpa rack? Did you drill the fiberglass? Thanks

Hi Frederico
you're replying an old topic, Callena was last seen in 2015 on the forum. A high top has standard mounting points you can use; if not I would prefer glueing instead of drilling! Sherpa racks are hard to find these days, and quite expensive. Have a look at the Zoelzer system, I"m very pleased with the side mounted rack I bought from them!

IMG_20200529_135449.jpg

Hi Frederico
you're replying an old topic, Callena was last seen in 2015 on the forum. A high top has standard mounting points you can use; if not I would prefer glueing instead of drilling! Sherpa racks are hard to find these days, and quite expensive. Have a look at the Zoelzer system, I"m very pleased with the side mounted rack I bought from them!

View attachment 91030
That's a great solution. I will do it the same. Thanks for your help!

Back