Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"WE LOVE CALIFORNIA " first Italian meeting

Damn! I wish we had known about this earlier. We're in Como this evening after 5 weeks in Italy. Mind you we were a lot further south when this was happening.

Interestingly we were mulling over the trip on our way here and although we have seen a few Calls, mainly from Germany we haven't seen ANY VW vans. In the UK you see the vans everywhere, here I don't think we've seen any at all.

The only VW Cali we saw was on the camper parking for the Milan Expo. Cali's were in a minority there. There must have been 300 motorhomes in the parking with facilities for 40!!! Crazy.

Argo, do you know how many Cali's have been sold in Italy?

PS please let me know next time there is a meet. If we book in at the same site VW Italy can't complain can they?

I agree. I had the same experience in France last week - a couple of UK conversions going onto the ferry, then one French Cali and one UK conversion sighted all week. Nearing Ouistreham to come back, a couple more UK conversions (T2 and T4) and half a dozen UK (T4 and 5) conversions on the ferry. The number of French commercial vans was even less in total. All in all about 20 - the same number of VW vans as we'd spot on a single 50 mile journey in the UK.

I also counted five motorhome magazines in a Carrefour (the UK has 2 maybe 3 publications?), but didn't see a VW van mag all week... I think there's a clue in that!

(Mind you everyone waved at us irrespective of T type!)

Dave

By the way I am definitely persuaded that this is the best Cali forum in Europe. I "met" many nice people here and everybody's very helpful and polite

Interestingly we were mulling over the trip on our way here and although we have seen a few Calls, mainly from Germany we haven't seen ANY VW vans. In the UK you see the vans everywhere, here I don't think we've seen any at all.

Well if you are driving up through Switzerland you will se plenty of VW vans and a fair few Cali's. I have a 5 min commute to work and I see at least 1 Cali per day, and countless other VW vans.

And if pass through Zurich around rush hours, please avoid the guy on the green mountain bike, but do wave, I will wave back :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps it's a French and Italian thing then, the rare sighting of the VW vanner, or perhaps just a coincidence on the routes we took?

I was expecting to see dozens of VW van people wandering languidly around Normandy doing nothing but chilling, but no.

There were lots of huge-white-whale-motorhomes though - and tell me this, how do they have bodywork which extends beyond the wheel track by at least 300mm each side and not fall over come a simple bend?

Has anyone driven one of them and are they as dangerous as they look?

Will watch out for you when next in Zurich - Dave

Well if you are driving up through Switzerland you will se plenty of VW vans and a fair few Cali's. I have a 5 min commute to work and I see at least 1 Cali per day, and countless other VW vans.

And if pass through Zurich around rush hours, please avoid the guy on the green mountain bike, but do wave, I will wave back :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Swissian,
I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any suggestions for places to visit whilst on route through Switzerland, or have you posted about any of the better sites you have stayed at. We are planning our first Eurpean adventure this summer (my wife & I plus two boys 10&13) and had intended to navigate our way through Switzerland via the Simplon pass and head down to the Lake Garda area of Italy and perhaps on down to do a day trip into Venice (leaving the van somewhere). A loose plan (at this stage for a return journey) included diversions via the Zell am See area of Austria. I know it's a bit like saying "I intend to visit the South of England, can you recommend anywhere...?" but I know I could recommend some great options and hope you might have explored the to the south of Zurich!!! Many thanks, Bristol Ian #Esandar1

Hi Swissian,
I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any suggestions for places to visit whilst on route through Switzerland, or have you posted about any of the better sites you have stayed at. We are planning our first Eurpean adventure this summer (my wife & I plus two boys 10&13) and had intended to navigate our way through Switzerland via the Simplon pass and head down to the Lake Garda area of Italy and perhaps on down to do a day trip into Venice (leaving the van somewhere). A loose plan (at this stage for a return journey) included diversions via the Zell am See area of Austria. I know it's a bit like saying "I intend to visit the South of England, can you recommend anywhere...?" but I know I could recommend some great options and hope you might have explored the to the south of Zurich!!! Many thanks, Bristol Ian #Esandar1

Hi Ian/Esandar,
Of course I don't mind you asking, but it really depends on your route as there are only limited ways to cross the Alps, and what you are interested in :)
The first time I ever visit Switzerland, I visited Lucerne and it blew me away. IMO one of the most beautiful and interesting places in the world, and there is lots to do and see there.
If you drive over the Simplon, then you will get good scenery. But if you like hiking in good scenery, then stay a night or two in Brig and go to Bettmeralp where you can hike along the ridge overlooking the longest glacier in Europe. Stunning.
Grindelwald is also beautiful, with lots of hiking possibilities, or cable car rides to the top of mountains, but may be a bit of a diversion for you.
Can you be a bit more specific about what you like to do/see? and then I can try and make better suggestions.

Ian

Hi Ian/Esandar,
Of course I don't mind you asking, but it really depends on your route as there are only limited ways to cross the Alps, and what you are interested in :)
The first time I ever visit Switzerland, I visited Lucerne and it blew me away. IMO one of the most beautiful and interesting places in the world, and there is lots to do and see there.
If you drive over the Simplon, then you will get good scenery. But if you like hiking in good scenery, then stay a night or two in Brig and go to Bettmeralp where you can hike along the ridge overlooking the longest glacier in Europe. Stunning.
Grindelwald is also beautiful, with lots of hiking possibilities, or cable car rides to the top of mountains, but may be a bit of a diversion for you.
Can you be a bit more specific about what you like to do/see? and then I can try and make better suggestions.

Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your help so far.
This will be our first summer trip to Europe as we only got our Cali in late August last year (though we did drive to Val Thorens in Feb half term for skiing). We are family of four, all quite active. Our two boys are 10 and 13 and quite hardly. They are sporty, active, love Bear Grylls and adventures! I assume they would be OK to do the hike along the ridge at Bettmeralp (?) which sounds amazing. That is exactly that type of 'little gem' that I was hoping for and, though it might be a detour from our planned route, things that are worth doing usually require at least a little extra effort! I am trying to line up good things to do on route and for example had considered taking the train up from Visp to Zermatt for an afternoon in the shadow of the Matterhorn.

The idea of taking the Simplon Pass was to repeat a journey my wife did with her parents as a child, and on the way I guess what we want to do is see amazing scenery but also spend some days and nights exploring / enjoying the wilderness (relatively speaking!). Our loose plan was to blast through France to Geneva, go south of the lae and possibly pick our way through the Chaminox valley / the mountain pass to Martingy and thus come to the Simplon Pass via Sion. A diversion to Betmeralp would be relatively easy. Slightly harder to get to Grindalwald, Interlaken or Lucern unless we change route completely.

We had intended to head to two of the three big Italian lakes - probably Maggiore and Garda (missing Como) and then onto Venice, tracking back due north via Cortina D'ampezzo, then via Lienz to Zell am See (to meet two chaps from London doing the Iron Man there) in late August. We have friends in Saalbach and have skiied there many times so may pop in. Depending on time, our return route may take in sight seeing stops at Salzburg, Cologne (Koln) and finally Ghent before heading back to the UK. A three week trip - but how viable all that is in the time remains to be seen!

Lucern sounds very interesting but we may have to save that to tag onto a ski holiday trip. The beauty of Europe is the sheer diversity of geography and culture. In the UK we have access to some amazing beaches but the weather can put a dampner on things, which is why we tend to dart off on long wkend camping advantures here whenever ./ wherever the sun is shining in Dorset, Devcon or Cornwall.

Anything you can add to our plan would be very much appreciated!
Kind regards
Ian

(if you ever plan to visit the SW of the UK I will be only too happy to recipricate!)

This event looks like great fun, is it invite only? I think I stayed close by at Piantelle Camping last year, lovely area, saw a few VW Californias at the campsite.

If you go here, then do the Tre Cime di Lavaredo hike in the Dolomites. A lot of people but it's amazing.
You can also do the Via Ferrata on the old WWI tracks and tunnels UP the mountain.
I'll see what else I can think of later...
Ian
HI Swissian,
We intend to take your recommendation to do both the Bettmeralp and Tre Cime di Lavaredo hike in the Dolomites. For Bettmeralp, do you recall if we are better parking at the foot of a lift (in the valley) and taking various lifts up the moutain to the ridge you mentioned? We will be there on Thurs or Friday!

Many thanks
Ian

I'm enjoying the tips from @Swissian and your trip sounds amazing @Esandar#1.

Returning to the original topic, I see there is a 'We Love California' meet organised for this year; has anyone ascertained whether it is by invitation only or can anyone rock up with a Cali? I have translated the web page and the link is below.

https://www.volkswagen-veicolicommerciali.it/it/love-california-2017.html

WE LOVE CALIFORNIA 2017

Get busy at the most spectacular official rally.
September 30 2017 - Cavallino Treporti (VE)

Ready for the 3rd edition of We Love California, the official rally of the legendary California and the Volkswagen campered vehicles?

There is a journey into the fantasy where amazement and fun are behind every corner.

Wake up among soap bubbles, walk with the wading sticks, let alone the saltimbanks. If you want to show your talent, there will be opportunities for events, concerts, workshops and activities for both adults and children.

Get ready to go and spend the gathering together with who, like you, has everything else to understand life-the spectacular one on a California board.
PARTICIPATE TO WORK

Back