Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
I gather on the elevating roof they use a thicker zinc base. I would have thought they might mask to put on the zinc base coat and then spray and blend in top coat.
You only need the thicker zinc base coat under the seal to stop the Galvanic Corrosion because of the proximity of the aluminium roof and steel within the rubber seal.
Just a thought.

I gather on the elevating roof they use a thicker zinc base. I would have thought they might mask to put on the zinc base coat and then spray and blend in top coat.
You only need the thicker zinc base coat under the seal to stop the Galvanic Corrosion because of the proximity of the aluminium roof and steel within the rubber seal.
Just a thought.

I understood it has a higher zinc content, like the replacement front panel, rather than being thicker.

I’ve logged it with customer services (a couple of weeks ago now) and still going backwards and forwards with an elusive ‘case manager’

The body shop rang me today and said that VW have again told them to repair and repaint the pop-up…
I’ve asked them to hold-fire and am trying to get hold of my case manager (who was supposed to call me back today but didn’t) to insist on a new pop-up

Has anyone got any tips you can give me to strengthen my case please? Quite simply, I cannot afford to be spending £3,000+ on a new one in the next 1/3/6 years when it starts corroding and leaking again - it was supposed to be a lifetime investment to last me into my old age!

Surely VW cannot get away with selling something which only lasts for 3/6 years, and is obviously not fit for purpose?

What makes you think a new top will be better then a repainted top?
Our Jan 14 Cali had bubbles under the seal on the pop top when it was 6 months old.

Aparently they are painting main roof with a new primer. As this is new we don't know how long it will last. VW will NOT replace complete roof because then they would have to replace every roof with this problem. This is what body shops recommend for this repair. Just acept it & enjoy your cali.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Last edited:
Visited Corsica and Sardinia now in Sciliy, have spoken to at least 10 Cali owners from all over europe and told them about the roof corrosion on front panel and main roof. Eight of them did NOT know about the problem, but they do now after i explained and showed them my roof. One German i met had had his beach cali for one week and told me VW are now fitting GRP front roof panel is this true?

John (in Sciliy)

Visited Corsica and Sardinia now in Sciliy, have spoken to at least 10 Cali owners from all over europe and told them about the roof corrosion on front panel and main roof. Eight of them did NOT know about the problem, but they do now after i explained and showed them my roof. One German i met had had his beach cali for one week and told me VW are now fitting GRP front roof panel is this true?

John (in Sciliy)

John is the front roof panel above the screen not structural ?? I know it has "legs" that slide into the roof aperture. I don't see a grp panel being strong enough.

In case anyone is interested the next issue of VW Bus 4/5+ magazine will be carrying a feature showing and explaining and showing the way work is done step by step to front roof and front panel with info about likely cause and how the problem has been addressed. (and also deals with the common misconceptions about what's actually done and what's fitted/replaced)
And in reply to an above post I know that Shorade body shop repaint the whole roof on all their roof Cali roof work, not just blend in or mask and paint the bottom above edges ... they also add chafing tape on the edges under the roof seal as additional protection.

In case anyone is interested the next issue of VW Bus 4/5+ magazine will be carrying a feature showing and explaining and showing the way work is done step by step to front roof and front panel with info about likely cause and how the problem has been addressed. (and also deals with the common misconceptions about what's actually done and what's fitted/replaced)
And in reply to an above post I know that Shorade body shop repaint the whole roof on all their roof Cali roof work, not just blend in or mask and paint the bottom above edges ... they also add chafing tape on the edges under the roof seal as additional protection.

My mistake, I have looked at my roof again with a view to taking pictures. I found that the masking line is actually the edge of the "chaffing tape" David mentioned. This is a transparent rubbery tape & looks exactly like masking tape line.

Last edited:
I believe although it was posted a long time ago. Vw will give 3 years
Warranty on the work carried out by the approved bodyshops

The guy at customer services has confirmed that it's a 3 year warranty on the repairs.
My concern is that if just after the 3 years is up, the roof starts leaking again, they won't repair/replace the pop-up, even though the vehicle will only be 8 years old then. Surely the warranty on the roof should be that of for the rest of the body - 12 years? It's ridiculous for them to say it's a paint issue not a bodywork issue. Nobody would buy a vehicle that only had a 3 year warranty on the roof, which is an integral part of the vehicle, not a wear and tear item!?!? I'm still arguing for a new pop-up, not just a repair.
It's a faulty part, not fit for purpose, and the only reason they are not replacing them all free of charge is that it'll cost them an absolute fortune... But why should we have to pay £3,000 plus for new pop-ups?
Ridiculous, and just plain WRONG!

I don't wish to upset you, but this is not rust corrosion but catalytic corrosion a totally different thing. Land Rover Defenders have suffered it for the last 60 odd years and 70% of all models since the Series 1 are still in use. They have aluminium body panels the same as the California roof.
I don't wish to be rude but the roof panel will probably outlast you and certainly the rest of the vehicle.
The corrosion you see is cosmetic rather than structural and it certainly will not cause it to leak.
You can believe me or not but one thing I am certain of VW will not replace the roof for you.
Sorry.

Nobody would buy a vehicle that only had a 3 year warranty on the roof

Interestingly enough, many conversions only carry a 1 year warranty on the conversion parts (including the roof) and there are many more of them out there than there are Cali's. (Part of the reason we went for the Cali was the 3 year warranty on all the habitation elements)

However, in my mind although frustrating and the length of time it takes to get it resolved goes into years (Mine was well over two years from the point of acceptance by VW) it is as has been said cosmetic. The main impact is likely to be on resale as it'll be more difficult to sell if it's not had the repair done. (Some will argue that if it's authorised then it's not an issue... but it may be for a potential purchaser)

I'd personally accept the repair (infact I did) and enjoy the vehicle... Don't let it spoil it for you.

These types of battle, even if ultimately won (Which I doubt in this case) won't leave you with a warm happy feeling...

Last edited:
Ah thanks for all the comments guys. Will definitely enjoy my Cali... when I eventually get her back!

Just got my 2011 Cali Berghaus back from Benfield Garage in South Shields. Everything done, roof, front panel and new bellows. They even knocked out a bend or two that I'd put in the edge of the roof for free. The repairs al look good. Benfield took the two weeks they said they would and no more. The AA covered the delivery and return of the courtesy Cali which all went very smoothly from up here in Sunny Aberdeen. The whole process took 11 months.
I am perfectly satisfied and glad to have the van back.

Just got my 2011 Cali Berghaus back from Benfield Garage in South Shields. Everything done, roof, front panel and new bellows. They even knocked out a bend or two that I'd put in the edge of the roof for free. The repairs al look good. Benfield took the two weeks they said they would and no more. The AA covered the delivery and return of the courtesy Cali which all went very smoothly from up here in Sunny Aberdeen. The whole process took 11 months.
I am perfectly satisfied and glad to have the van back.
That's good to hear as mine goes in shortly for the work, hope it goes as smoothly for me as it did for you mate ;-)

John is the front roof panel above the screen not structural ?? I know it has "legs" that slide into the roof aperture. I don't see a grp panel being strong enough.

I don't think it is structural, someone on the forum will know.

john

Extremely structural. Much more so than many conversions. The elevating section could be GRP but would probably be heavier for the same strength and rigidity.
The front section is an alloy casting and integral to the front passenger safety cage.

Well it's happened. I have bubbling and corrosion on the front panel, which was pervious resprayed by VW prior to the new repair process.

Andy

Just washed my van and had a peek under the rubber seal on the main roof, low and behold I have bubbles appearing. My van is October 2014 so to say I am not very happy is an understatement

Just washed my van and had a peek under the rubber seal on the main roof, low and behold I have bubbles appearing. My van is October 2014 so to say I am not very happy is an understatement
Sorry to hear that. What really makes me mad is that these Calis are very expensive top spec premium vehicles that cabe cost in excess of 50k and to be rusting after a year or two really really sucks! Add to that the good old Egr valve failure that seems to affect most Vehicles at some point too and you can go off of a vehicle quite quickly can't you? I'm already getting my cali fully sorted and then probably sell on and buy something from one of the big conversion companies like Autocruise for instance.

I tend to agree with you, it is just one thing after another. When we got our Cali we had a snagging list with 10+ things wrong with it ( some are still being sorted now) This was the icing on the cake finding this today ! How do people cope having a Cali out of warranty :confused:

I tend to agree with you, it is just one thing after another. When we got our Cali we had a snagging list with 10+ things wrong with it ( some are still being sorted now) This was the icing on the cake finding this today ! How do people cope having a Cali out of warranty :confused:
Well I'm out of warranty and it hurts big time on each occasion where something needs sorting hence me looking to sell and buy something else a bit more robust and reliable, shame really as I had a big soft spot for all things Vw at one time.

cost in excess of 50k and to be rusting after a year or two really really sucks

This is not rust. It is a galvanic reaction between two dissimilar metals. It will not end up with a hole in the panel like rust.

Just get it on the list, chill & enjoy your Cali.

buy something from one of the big conversion companies like Autocruise for instance.

What make you think you will have trouble free ownership with one of these ??

How do people cope having a Cali out of warranty

Some of us put money into a savings account for any unexpected costs. Just have to either get anything sorted or live with it depending what the fault is. Just the same as any other vehicle, they are all a liability, OK some more so than others.

Bottom line get out there & enjoy your Cali !!

Hi people,

Have VW fixed this issue on new vans? Thinking of buying a would like to know.

Many Thanks

Back