Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Thanks for that Andy, you're right of course. I didn't realise that VW were offering nothing. The Dealers certainly don't tell you. Just implying how wonderful VW are. :cool:

I find it intresting and somewhat sad (re these replacement Calis) We all treat or seem to treat our Calis with care and use them to the full, we all want our vans back repaired and back better than when we sent them for repair with nice repaired roof and no further damage. From people having early repairs these loan van we new and high spec Calis.(supplied for the purpose of keeping us happy during the roof repair process) Who has used these vans ------ us California owners sorely we should treat the loan vehicle as we would want any repairer or van centre to treat our Cali.

The inside of the Cali was immaculate - it had been valeted - my only problem was the waste water tank. If I had been planning a trip I would have put my usual products in both the clean and waste water tanks as I would with my own at the beginning of the year. The upper bed had never been used - everything was still as it would have been in a brand new vehicle - including the mattress still in its plastic cover. I also advised Benfields/VW that I had two dogs and asked about seat covers but they were happy that they would give it a good valet on return. I did cover the back seat from muddy paws!

The bods who are going to do the recall for the front top bit ,have just phoned to say " get your VW dealer to check if there is any roof seal corrosion"
Apparently this is another warranty recall. Any info on this gang?
Yes! I had a call on Monday to arrange my appointment for repairs but was asked first to go in to local vw garage to get actual roof inspected for secondary corrosion before it goes in for front panel repair, mine had the actual secondary corrosion so will have a complete top overhaul which I'm ok with. Was offered a June repair without courtesy cali or a July repair with loan cali which ive opted for.

Luckily our Cali is not our primary vehicle . So replacement vehicle is not crucial.
A friend of ours had his replaced. It came back with new bellows and all mod cons as far as the roof was concerned. Including bungi strap

The inside of the Cali was immaculate - it had been valeted - my only problem was the waste water tank. If I had been planning a trip I would have put my usual products in both the clean and waste water tanks as I would with my own at the beginning of the year. The upper bed had never been used - everything was still as it would have been in a brand new vehicle - including the mattress still in its plastic cover. I also advised Benfields/VW that I had two dogs and asked about seat covers but they were happy that they would give it a good valet on return. I did cover the back seat from muddy paws!
Talking of tank cleaning, what products do you/people use. I have used Milton thus far which seems to be OK but I have always wondered if a chlorine based product is OK with any metal components, valves etc?

My 2011 California went to my local van centre on Thursday for a service (after 16000 miles) & asked if they could look a the roof for any corrosion as the roof front panel corrosion was registered with VW two years ago & still waiting for the repair. The garage said it was not really their job to remove the rubber seal & inspect although they had a look & everything is fine. I have a look this afternoon & report back as I do not trust the roof was even raised.

My 2011 California went to my local van centre on Thursday for a service (after 16000 miles) & asked if they could look a the roof for any corrosion as the roof front panel corrosion was registered with VW two years ago & still waiting for the repair. The garage said it was not really their job to remove the rubber seal & inspect although they had a look & everything is fine. I have a look this afternoon & report back as I do not trust the roof was even raised.

I would be very surpised if you have not got any corrosion on the main roof, let us know how you get on

According to Shorade and VW whom I spoke with last week any Cali coming in for front panel will automatically have roof checked as well (and this should be the case for all four) and if they find it they report to VW and get approval to do at same time as panel....(makes economic sense to VW rather than 2 warranty jobs at diff times)
but just in case ask them to check when it goes in!!!!!;)
When I asked Listers in Cov to look at roof (panel already reported/logged ages ago) they did so willingly with me present and they raised roof and checked all the seal and edges....and of course found it and took pics and added to the job ...

Had my 2010 repaired in 2012 after serious wrangling with VW. Front panel and main panel were removed and repainted and as yet still hasn't reoccurred. The front panel was a TSB bulletin in 2012, I think the main panel was done on inspection. My hardest battle was with my local dealers warranty man. He just refused it and even tried to claim the roof had been repainted but I can assure you that you cannot measure paint thickness on an aluminium panel with the magnetic gauges commonly used. In the end VW customer services sent it to a local body shop for "independent inspection" (Gladwins, near Huntingdon) and they did a stellar job. I even had to chuckle at some of the photos they took after drawing around all the blisters with a crayon... Really drove the point home and VW approved all the work.

When I pulled the rubber seal down off the roof corrosion present all along the main roof panel edge, so much for the garage's so called inspection (which I wont name). I suggest you check your own Californias.
2011 Grey 4 motion with 16k miles

I have a March 2013 SE . Tried to check the roof today but the rubber seal appeared to be sealed to the roof. I am wary of using too much pressure to pull it off - how easy should it be to remove the seal for inspection and is it possible that mine has been sealed to the roof preventing proper inspection.

The van is booked in for service tomorrow at Leicester Van Centre and I have arranged for them to inspect as well.

Should I be worried ????? Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to Heritage as I am booked in there, 42nd in queue however could be potentially quicker if we don't need a Cali replacement during the repair. They presently have 3 Cali's for loan. They are repairing approx 8 per month presently. Mine was reported June 2014 so approx 15 months after he will be repaired.

I have had my roof corrosion claim for a new pop up roof rejected by VW - they want to rub down and repaint. It’s a 2010 registered California and I have been chasing VW for almost two years - it’s been at the body repair place for almost two weeks now. It's so bad that I have a puddle of water inside the van when it rains!!! It's apparently the worst case the body shop have seen, so have logged an appeal for a new roof with VW customer services today - will let you know the outcome!

Sorry I'm don't really know how to post on this forum properly so replying to my own thread!
My van is still as the body repair place, and still not had a yes/no response to my claim to VW customer services for a new pop-up roof from VW - being given the runaround despite being assured they would get back to me within 24 hours of 30th April...
Have seen several comments from people who have been happy to have their pop-up's repaired/resprayed, and I'm amazed! - Corrosion once in the aluminium will always reoccur!?! It would be completely unacceptable to have to buy a new roof in a year or so's time (as I'd then be over the 6 year 'paint' warranty) Nobody would buy a vehicle that had only a 6 year lifespan without having to replace the roof, whether it was a cheap car or a £40,000+ camper van. I have no intention of letting VW fob me off with that - Watchdog/Dom/The press will be my next port of call if they don't fully replace the corroded roof and give a full warranty to the repair... SHAME ON YOU VW

Sorry I'm don't really know how to post on this forum properly so replying to my own thread!
My van is still as the body repair place, and still not had a yes/no response to my claim to VW customer services for a new pop-up roof from VW - being given the runaround despite being assured they would get back to me within 24 hours of 30th April...
Have seen several comments from people who have been happy to have their pop-up's repaired/resprayed, and I'm amazed! - Corrosion once in the aluminium will always reoccur!?! It would be completely unacceptable to have to buy a new roof in a year or so's time (as I'd then be over the 6 year 'paint' warranty) Nobody would buy a vehicle that had only a 6 year lifespan without having to replace the roof, whether it was a cheap car or a £40,000+ camper van. I have no intention of letting VW fob me off with that - Watchdog/Dom/The press will be my next port of call if they don't fully replace the corroded roof and give a full warranty to the repair... SHAME ON YOU VW
I'm waiting for mine to go in , in a few weeks, I think I'm correct in saying that if they indeed just strip back and repair and paint over, there must surely be extended warranty on that workmanship so we all should have some peace of mind thereafter. I shall certainly be asking about whats what with extended corrosion warranty on the roof and front panel ;-)

I believe although it was posted a long time ago. Vw will give 3 years
Warranty on the work carried out by the approved bodyshops

I believe although it was posted a long time ago. Vw will give 3 years
Warranty on the work carried out by the approved bodyshops
Fair enough I suppose, gives me plenty of time to sell it on then in immaculate condition (once I've got the engine management light problem diagnosed and rectified but that's another story)

How was it Andy, all good?

Yes it looks OK. Front panel definitely has a seal under it now.
Elevating roof was blistered under the seal. I have pulled a small section off & they have re-sprayed about half inch up, all covered by seal, & not blown it in can see a definite masking tape line. A tad disappointed by this as I was expecting more of the roof to be re-sprayed. It looks like a new seal.
Time will tell if this is sufficient to prevent it from re-occurring.

That's pi** poor not blending it in , bloody short cut making amateurs

Andy, did they replace the bellows in the elevating roof?

Just wondering if this is standard or not.

Mine is on the list with AB Crush. Not in a rush to get it sorted, just pleased it's been done. I'll enjoy the summer and hopefully by the time my name comes up it will be late Autumn. My claim was accepted in September 2014.

Regards, Spencer

One potential upside is that if we wait long enough we might get the "improved" T6 canvas?

Andy, did they replace the bellows in the elevating roof?

Just wondering if this is standard or not.

Mine is on the list with AB Crush. Not in a rush to get it sorted, just pleased it's been done. I'll enjoy the summer and hopefully by the time my name comes up it will be late Autumn. My claim was accepted in September 2014.

Regards, Spencer
Yes bellows replaced.
It took 17 months from logging fault to being repaired. Work done by shorade

Sent from my SM-G900F

Back