Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Expecting my california back on Friday and I've just had a call to say they have fitted a 2 Window bellow instead of a 3 window bellow. I though it was only the beach that came with 2 windows ? Ours is a se

Hi, I recently got my van back after the new roof repair (both parts) and the roof canvas was not replaced. It doesn't look like it was even removed? I am quite pleased to have retained my original canvas.

They told me today they do need to remove the roof ? Anyway I'm not bothered as long as it gets rectified

Hi, I recently got my van back after the new roof repair (both parts) and the roof canvas was not replaced. It doesn't look like it was even removed? I am quite pleased to have retained my original canvas.
Hi my Cali is now getting a full new roof like the old repair method, I think this is why yours wasn't been touched ?

Calihunter, do you know which workshop your repair was completed at?

Calihunter, do you know which workshop your repair was completed at?

Hi Lost boy, it was done by AB Crush in Canterbury. This wasn't where the dealer wanted to send it, but I insisted it went there due to them having favourable feedback from the original repair process.
I must say I am really impressed with their workmanship and customer service. The pictures I posted earlier of the completed repair, showed the rubber seal rucked up. They were contacted and re assured me that from their experience of previous repairs, the seal should 'settle down' over a couple of weeks. I checked it today and it is now seating perfectly.

They took the roof off mine and it was same bellows when it came back.

And the saga goes on and on .........

I have now been told by my local VW dealer that AB crush are no longer doing the repairs and they are proposing to book it into Hamilton and Palmer Coachworks in London. Does anyone know anything about this body workshop and if they will do a proper job. ?
The original repair would just have been the front panel but in the intervening 2 years there is now rust on the main roof above the seals. I have a record of all my dealings with VW for the past year as we have communicated by emails and they were informed of the extra rust a couple of months ago They are giving a February timeframe for the new repair . The cali is my only vehicle so they will be supplying a courtesy vehicle.
The dealer has so far been unable to tell me how they will be doing the repairs but hopefully they will have found this out by next week. I think they might fix it just to get rid of me asking so many questions :)

Hi Lost boy, it was done by AB Crush in Canterbury. This wasn't where the dealer wanted to send it, but I insisted it went there due to them having favourable feedback from the original repair process.
I must say I am really impressed with their workmanship and customer service. The pictures I posted earlier of the completed repair, showed the rubber seal rucked up. They were contacted and re assured me that from their experience of previous repairs, the seal should 'settle down' over a couple of weeks. I checked it today and it is now seating perfectly.

Any chance of an updated picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest on my May 2012 Cali; I reported the roof corrosion in May 2015 and she went off last week to a firm in Southport to be fixed. VW Commercials of Sheffield (JCT600) had told me in the middle of last year that the van would be collected from my home and taken to a firm in Newcastle Upon Tyne in December 2016. This was changed by VW UK apparently - last Autumn I was told I had to drive the van to Sheffield where it would be collected by the AA and taken to Southport. Sheffield is an hour's drive and 30+ miles away, so I wan't impressed but at least I was given a newish Caddy as a courtesy car.

I was however impressed with the thoroughness of Sheffield VW Commercials. On arrival the van was thoroughly examined again and more rust found around the elevating roof, under the rubber seal. It also seems to be starting around the offside rear hinge. I was told under the previous system a van would be sent off to have the reported rust fixed, and if any more rust was discovered during the process, it wasn't fixed and the whole process had to start again - report, photograph at the garage, notify VW, wait for rectification. Now, the system was to re-examine the van before it went off, photograph and document all the rust, which would be fixed in one go (apparently the result of VW UK responding to complaints about the old system). Fingers crossed this will actually happen! I was told to expect the van back in a fortnight.

I asked if VW Commercials of Sheffield were handling many cases and was shown a bulging ring-binder of vans waiting to be called and fixed. I was told I was number 5 on a very long list - amazing as I originally notified them of the problem 20 months ago! January is not a problem for us, but apparently Calis will be called forward for rectification throughout the year. To lose your Cali in spring, summer or autumn would be irritating, to say the least!

I'm going to inspect mine tomorrow as that's it back from getting its roof replaced

A question for thé experts, i imagine the likes of Hôtel California and Welsh Gas may advise?
It seems from previous post, that i now can't find, that you recommend removing the rubber seal on the roof, and cleaning it. Do you just pull it off, or is a tool necessary....won't removing it risk a scratching the paint, and getting the corrosion started....won't it invalidate the warranty if you have been playing about with a part that obviously isn't designed to be removed, and , when replqcing, is it an idea to use a bit of Vaseline to lubricate the replacement, and act as a barrier to water?
Thanks ,

The rubber seal can be pulled off with finger and thumb. You do not need a tool.
Because it is rubber it is a tight fit and remains a tight fit when pushed back on.
It is not glued down at the factory.
As for Vaseline, well we do not have a definitive reason for the bubbling paint.
It could be water ingress, it could be bi-metallic corrosion, it could be insufficient/incorrect primer, it could be paint reacting with something in the rubber, it could be the rubber is applied before the paint is fully hardened, it could something else. That is the frustrating thing, no one knows for sure and VW do not seem to be making any effort to rectify the problem, which has been around for several years.
Personally after having a look I would not introduce any foreign matter to the area as it may be argued you have made it worse. You know what the motor trade is like.

As Ambler says the rubber is designed to be removed, even before corrosion problems existed I used to peel it off once per year to give it a good clean to get all the algae off and clean under it.

Also anyone that finds bubbles under it, the corrosion will rise above the rubber, in our case it was less than six months that it took to spread

A question for thé experts, i imagine the likes of Hôtel California and Welsh Gas may advise?
It seems from previous post, that i now can't find, that you recommend removing the rubber seal on the roof, and cleaning it. Do you just pull it off, or is a tool necessary....won't removing it risk a scratching the paint, and getting the corrosion started....won't it invalidate the warranty if you have been playing about with a part that obviously isn't designed to be removed, and , when replqcing, is it an idea to use a bit of Vaseline to lubricate the replacement, and act as a barrier to water?
Thanks ,
Hi, from Down Under.
Yes. @hotel california has suggested removing the Rubber Seal regularly and cleaning underneath before replacing.
Personally, myself, I see no reason doing this until the Warranty is about to expire, but that is just me.

Hi, from Down Under.
Yes. @hotel california has suggested removing the Rubber Seal regularly and cleaning underneath before replacing.
Personally, myself, I see no reason doing this until the Warranty is about to expire, but that is just me.
G Day, Welsh, I hope you are enjoying it down there, have you got a van??
The reason for removing it was because the grit that will settle scratches the paint, and allows the water to ingress and start the galvanic corrosion...I can see that logic, but also the logic that you could scratch it more putting it on and off. Hence my dilemma.

As Ambler says the rubber is designed to be removed, even before corrosion problems existed I used to peel it off once per year to give it a good clean to get all the algae off and clean under it.

Also anyone that finds bubbles under it, the corrosion will rise above the rubber, in our case it was less than six months that it took to spread
The rubber is designed to be removed......now I didn't realise that
I guess in my old car, there is metal inside the river, to make it keep its shape....but it is a old car....just rubber...I can see that, Thanks

Hi All, I am still waiting for my Cali to be delivered and of course I am more than just a little concerned that we have now seen at least two confirmed roof corrosion problems on the new T6. At the top of this thread is a poll as to how many Cali's have suffered roof corrosion and the results as of today. I am guessing/assuming these are all pre T6.
So far the poll results are:
upload_2017-1-13_10-55-21.png
Do we have any idea what percentage this 377 (assuming no duplication in that number) is of all Cali's sold in the UK? An estimate?
Also do we know approx what is the cost of repair for the FP and the ER?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Hi All, I am still waiting for my Cali to be delivered and of course I am more than just a little concerned that we have now seen at least two confirmed roof corrosion problems on the new T6. At the top of this thread is a poll as to how many Cali's have suffered roof corrosion and the results as of today. I am guessing/assuming these are all pre T6.
So far the poll results are:
View attachment 18469
Do we have any idea what percentage this 377 (assuming no duplication in that number) is of all Cali's sold in the UK? An estimate?
Also do we know approx what is the cost of repair for the FP and the ER?
Would it be possible to add to the poll, no problem(yet) like mine seems to be, so far!!....
Any help you can give would be appreciated.

G Day, Welsh, I hope you are enjoying it down there, have you got a van??
The reason for removing it was because the grit that will settle scratches the paint, and allows the water to ingress and start the galvanic corrosion...I can see that logic, but also the logic that you could scratch it more putting it on and off. Hence my dilemma.
No van this time.
Mine's tight so I have no intention of forcing it off until I have I have to.

Applying a film of Vaseline or the like may be counterproductive
Particles,dust in the atmosphere will find its way onto the surface !

Ever since I've had my Cali I make sure there's a layer of wax that meets tight to the seal (needs to be dry behind the seal first)
I also try and sponge the roof off after a downpour (time permitting)

I seem to have been free of blistering so far :)

Alan

Applying a film of Vaseline or the like may be counterproductive
Particles,dust in the atmosphere will find its way onto the surface !

Ever since I've had my Cali I make sure there's a layer of wax that meets tight to the seal (needs to be dry behind the seal first)
I also try and sponge the roof off after a downpour (time permitting)

I seem to have been free of blistering so far :)

Alan
That seems good advice.

What wax do you use?

Thx JW

Ours is off next week for the new fix - although I await news of the "replacement vehicle" with interest

Back