Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Right folks, the update you have all been waiting for! Cali1.jpg Cali2.jpg Cali3.jpg Cali4.jpg Cali5.jpg Cali6.jpg Cali7.jpg Cali8.jpg Cali9.jpg
Got the van back this afternoon after being at AB Crush.
Before I go any further, I must say I found them to be excellent in their customer service and reassuring when I raised concerns. They returned my calls as promised and went to great lengths in explaining what was going on and how they were taking great care of my pride and joy!

Now for the van...

They have obviously looked after it really well (wrapped up like a baby was their words) and this is evident as there are absolutely no marks anywhere, inside or out, on the canvas or anywhere else. If any of the interior trims, control panel, headlining or anything else was, removed you wouldn't know it as they have been put back perfectly.

The finish on the paintwork is excellent and the there is no over spray visible anywhere, so again, top marks.

Now the repair itself...

The new cap fits very well and the gap between it and the top of the windscreen appears to be the same as before, with no visible sealant.
The cap appears to sit slightly higher on the trailing edge, and this is to be expected if it is fitted over the original. The original channel behind the new cap is retained and does not appear to have been disturbed.

Now the disappointing part....

The new sealant used between the rear of the new cap and the original channel is black!! Whilst it has been applied neatly it does show and would be better if it was sprayed to match the vehicle! This is the only minor criticism I have of AB Crush.

Now the really annoying part....

The new replacement rubber seal does not fill the gap between the new cap and the pop-up roof. There is a gap of nearly half inch (real money) which means it doesn't cover the black sealant mentioned above. In addition to this, the rubber seal does not form a seal at all as it does not sit properly in the the bottom of the channel and looks a mess. I don't remember there being such a gap with the old seal?
I think this gap may also lead to excess wind noise?

AB Crush can only work with what they have been given, so again, I have no criticism of them regarding the new replacement seal. The design of the seal is such that it just doesn't appear to be up to the job!

I will try and post some before and after pics to make my ramblings a little clearer.

Good post, what is your next step as I am assuming you are not accepting this? Also, did they assure you the corrosion will not be recurring under the new cap?

Seems to me that with a little more tweaking Vw would have a reasonable repair to work with, Provided they have solved the problem under the cap first.
I'm glad mines not booked in for a while yet.

Sadly there is only one reason for a cover.

Is the cap GRP? I'm struggling to see how the gap is larger than previously as it looks like the cap fits pretty neatly over the existing piece?

One other question, did you have any corrosion on the main roof under the rubber seal at the edges and if so, what's the repair like on that?

Thanks

Is the cap GRP? I'm struggling to see how the gap is larger than previously as it looks like the cap fits pretty neatly over the existing piece?

One other question, did you have any corrosion on the main roof under the rubber seal at the edges and if so, what's the repair like on that?

Thanks
Hi Lost Boy,
I think the cap must be GRP or similar material, it's not magnetic.
The gap is physically the same but where as before it was filled by the old seal, it is now more exposed and obvious as the new rubber sits in the bottom of the channel rather than bridging it, if that makes sense?

Regarding the pop-up, yes I did have corrosion which was visible above and below the old seal.
Apparently, VW has two levels of authorization depending on whether the corrosion is visible above the seal or not. If it is not, I am told they only authorize a touch-up. If the corrosion is visible above the rubber, I am told, they authorize for the entire perimeter or maybe the whole of the roof to be stripped back to bare metal which is what they have done to mine. The repair looks excellent and I am hoping it will last.
Just to add, AB Crush state that the rubber seal is bonded onto the roof and should hopefully settle over time. In fairness, this does appear to be the case as after raising and lowering the roof a few times and allowing it to sit for a few days it is looking much neater.

Have you tried a magnet on the seal?
Is it still magnetic?

Hi Snowy55,
I have just been out with a magnet and funny enough the part of the seal that attaches to the roof does appear to be slightly magnetic? I was told the new seal does not have metal in it?
Admittedly, I didn't want to pull it off to test it more thoroughly.

Hello Calihunter - thanks for all the photos.

I have to admit they've scared me a bit. The fit between the seal and the new front section looks really poor to me. I've checked my original seal and it fits perfectly between the elevating roof and the top of the front section.

Update time
After my california being in glasgow for over 1 month they decided they couldn't repair it. It then got transporter to Newcastle who also had a go at repairing both sections and have now decided it needs a whole new roof and front section. I've now not seen my California in 3 months…

Anybody else had the new repair done that can post some photos of the seal area?

Is Calihunter's seal normal for a repaired vehicle?

Update time
After my california being in glasgow for over 1 month they decided they couldn't repair it. It then got transporter to Newcastle who also had a go at repairing both sections and have now decided it needs a whole new roof and front section. I've now not seen my California in 3 months…

Have you been given a replacement Cali to use whilst yours has been away?

LOL. they are taking the mick 1/4 of a year without a camper I would be out of control with that outcome

I would be seeking legal advise on that

Last edited:
Getting ready for my first continental journey I've noticed a couple of small rust spots on roof next to windscreen. What should I do? I'm based in Manchester, is there someone local one would recommend (or avoid). Thanks

I know you got your Cali recently, did you buy the Cali from a VW dealer or privately?

Getting ready for my first continental journey I've noticed a couple of small rust spots on roof next to windscreen. What should I do? I'm based in Manchester, is there someone local one would recommend (or avoid). Thanks
You'll find many threads on this subject in various forums as this is a very common problem. In theory the rust spots should be covered under VW's 12 year anti-perforation warranty. You need to take your van to a VW dealership and have the damaged photographed and a claim put in by the dealer. Then, about 27 years later, you should get authorisation for a warranty repair. If you're lucky the spots won't come back after the repair. I bought a second hand California from a non-franchised dealer who put it through their paint shop when they noticed the same rust spots.

Put in a claim with VW and don't let it spoil your enjoyment of an otherwise brilliant vehicle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that you only have 6 years (from new) to register your claim ...for your van to join an horrendous queue for a totally inadequate repair process.
The linked thread is enormous. The situation is evolving so reading the last 10 pages would be a good start.

You say "next to the windscreen" ....
Where exact , picture...?
Could be a few stone-chips getting rusty.
The roof corrosion in only on aluminium parts.

Have you submitted your Story regarding VW's handling of the Roof Corrosion on your vehicle to the BBC Watchdog internet site?
https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Unless you do VW may well get away with the appalling Customer Service they have exhibited regarding this problem.

It is upto you to do it and if enough do so then VW will be forced to take notice.

Done - I'm sadly not confident that when she goes in (for the second time) that it will be a permanent fix. I'll update when it is done, waiting to book in now so suspect it'll be 2017. I suspect the emissions saga in the US is VW's priority at the moment. Such a shame for what is supposed to be a premium brand!!! Perhaps they are waiting on the new T6 performance before committing funds to a proper fix.

update time
our cali is now in the middle of getting a complete new roof and front panel, the corrosion was to much to reapir it and vw agreed to replace the complete roof (59 plate 2010 model)

update time
our cali is now in the middle of getting a complete new roof and front panel, the corrosion was to much to reapir it and vw agreed to replace the complete roof (59 plate 2010 model)
That's good news
Bet you can't wait to get your Cali back on the road :thumb

yeah cant wait to get it back, but were actually looking for a t6 and will be looking to sell our t5

Back