Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to France This Summer

Do we need an insurance green card?

Not required.

//

Your policy covers you as described in your current Certificate of Motor Insurance Document for events occurring in:

- Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands

- Any other country which is a member of the European Union

- Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Croatia, Andorra and Lichtenstein

You don't need to call us if you are taking your car to any of these countries, but you do need to take your Certificate of Motor Insurance. You may be required to produce a Green Card.

If you do need a Green Card, please contact us as soon as possible to allow plenty of time for it to arrive in the post. The car is also covered while being transported by air, sea or rail between these countries. Your policy automatically includes a International Motor Insurance Certificate (on your current Certificate of Motor Insurance) for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip, and up to a maximum of 90 days in a year.

If you want to drive in any country not in the list above, please call us and we may be able to issue you with a Green Card, which you'll need to take together with your Certificate of Motor Insurance. Please note, the authorities in these countries will not accept photocopies of Green Cards as evidence of minimum insurance.
//

Gov website lists countries where Green Card is required

Always take enough cash to pay cash for a tank of fuel. I once arrived at a motorway service area to see a sign that said that the credit card system was not working, cash only.
Similarly in France it’s not uncommon to have a fuel station unmanned that only takes a card - don’t get caught out

Not trying to be funny, but green cards are now white. No idea why they changed it - otherwise it’s exactly the same document.
And a US Green card is a piece of multcoloured plastic. Crazzzzzy. Is a pink slip still pink?

Not trying to be funny, but green cards are now white. No idea why they changed it - otherwise it’s exactly the same document.
Because now you’re allowed to print them at home on a piece of white paper.

Do we need an insurance green card?

Is that a new thing?
As with @WelshGas we’ve always had one when driving outside the UK. Now we’re not in the EU I would think it’s pretty much essential IMO. We had one provided with our policy as part of the cost (Comfort). Some insurers will charge, and also will charge for amendments such as additional drivers.

Not required.

//

Your policy covers you as described in your current Certificate of Motor Insurance Document for events occurring in:

- Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands

- Any other country which is a member of the European Union

- Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Croatia, Andorra and Lichtenstein

You don't need to call us if you are taking your car to any of these countries, but you do need to take your Certificate of Motor Insurance. You may be required to produce a Green Card.

If you do need a Green Card, please contact us as soon as possible to allow plenty of time for it to arrive in the post. The car is also covered while being transported by air, sea or rail between these countries. Your policy automatically includes a International Motor Insurance Certificate (on your current Certificate of Motor Insurance) for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip, and up to a maximum of 90 days in a year.

If you want to drive in any country not in the list above, please call us and we may be able to issue you with a Green Card, which you'll need to take together with your Certificate of Motor Insurance. Please note, the authorities in these countries will not accept photocopies of Green Cards as evidence of minimum insurance.
//

Gov website lists countries where Green Card is required

Unless your holiday exceeds 30 days.

As with @WelshGas we’ve always had one when driving outside the UK. Now we’re not in the EU I would think it’s pretty much essential IMO. We had one provided with our policy as part of the cost (Comfort). Some insurers will charge, and also will charge for amendments such as additional drivers.
When the U.K. was in the EU there was no requirement for a green card.

now we have left the EU your insurer will advise what there policy is as far as foreign travel.

if you have foreign travel included on your policy your insurer should issue a green card on request (or with policy docs if old Skool)

I had one when we left the EU for a year or so but things have changed yet again.

According to LV.: -

"As of 2 August 2021 you no longer need a green card for most EU countries for your car. You still need one for travel to Albania, Morocco, Serbia and Turkey.

You may also need one if you're towing a caravan or trailer."

We didn’t even check what toll class was being charged. How do you correct it if it’s wrong?
There's an intercom button you can press, which takes you through to a control centre and just tell them your class one.

Im getting conflicting advice for my family travelling to france this summer in our ocean and wondered if anyone would point me in the direction of what exact documents do i need to take with me travelling on the tunnel and all of us have had 3 vaccines , any help would be gratefully received thank you , looked online and getting more and more confused sorry
Hey bumble if you looking for an over night stop pre tunnel or on return , I can recommend the “ Drum Inn” camp site stone street.. just 5 min from tunnel M20 exit … that said Chaos in area at moment due to delays .. but still a good .. Another good stop over Knowler farm Steling Minnis again just a short distance from port ..

We are preparing for a trip to France at the end of July, and on possibly the busiest weekend in the calendar (a Bison Fute ‘black Saturday’). Our driving checklist for travel is: [Edit following inputs from others]
- UK sticker
- Emovis / Liber-t toll tag
- Crit’ Air vignette sticker (travelling through at least one restricted traffic zone)
- EU breakdown cover (checked via VW but still may go for Green Flag also)
- Insurance green card (came with the Comfort Insurance policy) - not needed now, but still taking it.
- Insurance certificate
- V5c
- Driving licences
- Hi viz vests (one per passenger)
- Breathyliser kit - not required now.
- Breakdown warning triangle
- Medical kit - not a legal requirement, but handy anyway
- Checked headlights need no correction stickers etc (LED type - totally flat beams)
- Passports
- NHS Covid Pass certificates for travel
- Medical cards EHIC / UHIC
- Euro adaptor for electric hook up
- Spare key
- Chilled water in fridge for the journey
- Beer in fridge for use on arrival !!
- Travel insurance - all travelling (annual policy)
- Cash in Euros for at least one tank of fuel (just in case problem with card)
- Spare pair of prescription glasses if required for driving
- Map book of France - now we’re talking old school! but is handy when no 4G.

Have we missed anything??
This list is very useful thank you. Can anyone help with two questions please?

#1 my van is one year old and we have the 5 year warranty, that I believe includes euro VW assist. I have the VW assist booklet in the glovebox but not sure I have anything that proves I have been covered, beyond a verbal explanation that the van is still under warranty and this includes assist. Is this right or do people have something more concrete?

#2 what euro adapter do I need for EHU in France please?

#1 my van is one year old and we have the 5 year warranty, that I believe includes euro VW assist. I have the VW assist booklet in the glovebox but not sure I have anything that proves I have been covered, beyond a verbal explanation that the van is still under warranty and this includes assist. Is this right or do people have something more concrete?

The VW Assistance will only last for the 3 yrs of the original warranty period, NOT the additional 2 yrs of the extended warranty. It can be extended for about £160/2yrs when it expires.

#2 what euro adapter do I need for EHU in France please?7
Extra warranties are funny things. I would check and make 100% sure before you go away just to be on the safe side. And the adapters can vary between the 2 pin and 3 pin so take both.

Extra warranties are funny things. I would check and make 100% sure before you go away just to be on the safe side. And the adapters can vary between the 2 pin and 3 pin so take both.
But being only one year old you shouldn’t have a problem.

The VW Assist cover is in your VW customer profile for your van. We initially had nothing - not even the booklet. I had VW confirm the cover and send us a card with phone numbers on (it took 5 weeks to come). I understand that we had the cover, but it’s reassuring to have a card in the van.

The Assist cover lasts for 3 years. In the uk they use the AA to fulfil roadside assistance, and I guess the AA will want to keep you as a member, but I don’t yet know the terms / price.

For Europe cover, I wasn’t too happy with reviews ( on this forum) so we’ve taken a Green Flag EU recovery policy also, at £80.

Qu 2. I’d pack the standard 3 pin blue plug. If the site has something quirky I’d expect them to offer an adaptor at low / no cost.

Enjoy your trip!

The VW Assist cover is in your VW customer profile for your van. We initially had nothing - not even the booklet. I had VW confirm the cover and send us a card with phone numbers on (it took 5 weeks to come). I understand that we had the cover, but it’s reassuring to have a card in the van.

The Assist cover lasts for 3 years. In the uk they use the AA to fulfil roadside assistance, and I guess the AA will want to keep you as a member, but I don’t yet know the terms / price.

For Europe cover, I wasn’t too happy with reviews ( on this forum) so we’ve taken a Green Flag EU recovery policy also, at £80.

Qu 2. I’d pack the standard 3 pin blue plug. If the site has something quirky I’d expect them to offer an adaptor at low / no cost.

Enjoy your trip!
Thank you that’s really helpful.

[EDIT].
Report of completed trip (on return ferry now).

Emovis (Bip and Go) peage tag very useful. Bypassed some long queues

No one asked to see COVID vaccination doc at ports or anywhere else.

Crit’Air sticker was needed for travelling in and around Rouen. Satnav warned we were entering the clean air zone.

WAZE useful for spotting radar traps (marked as Police by locals) although we were keeping to limits generally. Quite a number on the N roads, bottom of hills, speed limit reduction points etc.

LED headlights - we had a few flashes from oncoming traffic, but we get that in the UK a well, as even on dipped they’re bright. So no issues.

Diesel - at supermarkets around 1.80€ to 1.85€ and up to 1.99€ on motorways.

Newhaven - Dieppe ferry was almost stress free. Return through Dieppe - queue for check in and passport control (2 booths next to one another) was v big. We allowed 90 minutes, it took 75 minutes.

At Dieppe customs around 1 in 5 cars were being inspected (boot open etc) in the queue we were in. That included ours, but when the policeman saw how packed the boot was he either concluded we had no stowaways, or it would take too long to search! The inspections really slowed the queue, but all vehicles made it through.

Car alarm still went off while travelling on the ferry even though we did everything to disable. No idea !

Edit - One thing I’d forgotten to do, for the added immobiliser / tracker, either inform the monitoring service we were using a ferry to move the van, or select the ‘Transport Mode’ to ‘on’. Should really have done this.

Black Saturday lived up to its reputation and added about 1.5 hours to an 8 hour trip to Toulouse area. But then, it’s Black Saturday every day on the M25 - predictably the worst part of our journey, both ways!!

Last edited:
If stuck for a bottle of gas, Campingaz 907 cylinders are available full or empty in larger branches of L’Eclerc supermarkets. €50 for a full bottle. They also sell the half sized bottle. I don‘t think they do refills.

7020A656-2959-4B82-AAAE-E700FF80CF61.jpeg

C7B84E2F-693E-4905-A31B-B818FD093B31.jpeg

Good price for gas cylinders, noticed 901’s on the shelf also, thought these were being phased out.