Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to France This Summer

Check with your car insurer on the level of cover for travelling abroad and if there are any restrictions on the number of consecutive days they will provide cover.

UK number plate sticker or larger UK plate. Many don't have and not checked at port, yet.
Allow for food costs as expensive here as well. Fuel, diesel cheaper when exchange rate factored in.1.90 euros today at Super U

Just to follow up on vehicle repatriation, if involved in an accident, then our Comfort insurance covers for recovery to the UK. If it’s a mechanical breakdown then VW Roadside Assistance covers for either, repatriation to the UK for repair, or the cost of travelling back to Europe (up to £600) to collect the repaired vehicle, but the choice is at their discretion. There is an annoying “may” in the description, but I think that’s just sloppy drafting.

We could opt for say RAC European breakdown cover, which for us would cost between £129 (standard) and £206 (Plus) for an annual policy (most cost effective - probably going to Europe 3 times in next 12 months), but is this over-insuring??

I’d be interested in peoples thoughts and experiences.

Check with your car insurer on the level of cover for travelling abroad and if there are any restrictions on the number of consecutive days they will provide cover.
We have 120 day single trip limit, which is more than we will need. The cover is the same, and notification is not needed (I had a chat to Comfort yesterday to check).

Haven't read all the posts :Iamsorry This may have already been mentioned, I always take a paper road Atlas for the countries we are visiting as back up .If using toll roads always check you have been charged correctly, a Cali should be class 1 but on a couple of occasions the auto sensors tried to charge us for class 2.

Just to follow up on vehicle repatriation, if involved in an accident, then our Comfort insurance covers for recovery to the UK. If it’s a mechanical breakdown then VW Roadside Assistance covers for either, repatriation to the UK for repair, or the cost of travelling back to Europe (up to £600) to collect the repaired vehicle, but the choice is at their discretion. There is an annoying “may” in the description, but I think that’s just sloppy drafting.

We could opt for say RAC European breakdown cover, which for us would cost between £129 (standard) and £206 (Plus) for an annual policy (most cost effective - probably going to Europe 3 times in next 12 months), but is this over-insuring??

You can add annual UK / Euro Breakdown Cover to most car insurance policies insurance for about £80. But you should already covered through your VW Roadside Assistance.

I had recent experience with RAC European cover (and I'd guess that's what VW Assistance uses also). Awful. Completely failed to secure us a hire vehicle for onward travel. Agreed initially to repatriate our vehicle (jammed gearbox - not a Cali) but a week later they attempted to renege, on basis of ridiculous small print in a document I'd never seen. Fortunately the RAC cover was through my insurer who spent a week fighting RAC and won the battle on my behalf. But RAC's position was cynical attempt to avoid liability for about £3k repatriation costs. I eventually got the car back six weeks later. Appalling.

Personally I use Red Pennant Insurance. Caravan & Motorhome Club.
I too have travel insurance via the bank, but there are so many Ts&Cs and it doesn't cover the vehicle, nor some Covid related things.
As far as "may" in the VW Assistance Ts&Cs. I very much doubt that was sloppy drafting knowing the Legal Profession.
In the end its upto you, comprehensive cover or gamble.

Personally I use Red Pennant Insurance. Caravan & Motorhome Club.
I too have travel insurance via the bank, but there are so many Ts&Cs and it doesn't cover the vehicle, nor some Covid related things.
As far as "may" in the VW Assistance Ts&Cs. I very much doubt that was sloppy drafting knowing the Legal Profession.
In the end its upto you, comprehensive cover or gamble.
Thanks for the advice. Red Pennant quote for annual cover comes in at £290. I see that it’s comprehensive cover, probably most compatible to the RAC Plus policy at £206. I do like that it’s CAMC though. Hmm.

Thanks for the advice. Red Pennant quote for annual cover comes in at £290. I see that it’s comprehensive cover, probably most compatible to the RAC Plus policy at £206. I do like that it’s CAMC though. Hmm.
And they know what the vehicle is.

UK number plate sticker or larger UK plate. Many don't have and not checked at port, yet.
Allow for food costs as expensive here as well. Fuel, diesel cheaper when exchange rate factored in.1.90 euros today at Super U
Yes quite a few don’t seem to have a UK sticker. We got the extra large one :)
We just got back from France and I only saw diesel under 2 euros a couple of times and that was only just under, at 1.99. It may just be my perception but Total Energies appeared to be consistently among the cheapest (except for supermarkets).

We are preparing for a trip to France at the end of July, and on possibly the busiest weekend in the calendar (a Bison Fute ‘black Saturday’). Our driving checklist for travel is:
- UK sticker
- Emovis toll tag
- Crit’ Air vignette sticker (travelling through at least one restricted traffic zone)
- EU breakdown cover (checked via VW)
- Insurance green card (came with the Comfort Insurance policy)
- Insurance certificate
- V5c
- Driving licences
- Hi viz vests (4)
- Breathalyser kit
- Breakdown warning triangle
- Medical kit
- Checked headlights need no correction stickers etc (LED type - totally flat beams)
- Passports
- NHS Covid Pass certificates for travel
- Medical cards EHIC / UHIC
- Euro adaptor for electric hook up
- Spare key
- Chilled water in fridge for the journey
- Beer in fridge for use on arrival !!
- Travel insurance - all travelling (annual policy) [edit]

Have we missed anything??
You don't need the breathalysers any more. Initially, you needed 2, because, if one was used, you didn't then have one. However, in 2020 the rule changed to no longer make it a legal requirement.

But you may need some replacement bulbs.

Haven't read all the posts :Iamsorry This may have already been mentioned, I always take a paper road Atlas for the countries we are visiting as back up .If using toll roads always check you have been charged correctly, a Cali should be class 1 but on a couple of occasions the auto sensors tried to charge us for class 2.
We didn’t even check what toll class was being charged. How do you correct it if it’s wrong?

I'm happy to report a very positive experience with Green Flag.

We broke down in Southern France (EGR valve) last month. Using their easy to navigate app, a recovery vehicle arrived within an hour. They agreed to our request to be taken to the nearest VW garage (not the nearest garage). We ended up having to stay at a nearby campsite for 7 nights, having been advised by VW that it was safe to drive a short distance. Also we had to stay in a hotel for 2 nights while they actually did the work. We had to reschedule our Chunnel crossing twice. Green Flag (or rather their European contractor) stayed in touch throughout and were supportive. We submitted a claim form for our expenses on our return to UK and Green Flag paid out in full without quibble within 2 weeks.

Missed anything : Spare pair of prescription glasses = if your wear glasses to drive you are required to carry a spare pair whilst in France.

Carrying the breathalyser kit is not enforced at all.

edit : transport carriers tickets

We are preparing for a trip to France at the end of July, and on possibly the busiest weekend in the calendar (a Bison Fute ‘black Saturday’). Our driving checklist for travel is:
- UK sticker
- Emovis toll tag
- Crit’ Air vignette sticker (travelling through at least one restricted traffic zone)
- EU breakdown cover (checked via VW)
- Insurance green card (came with the Comfort Insurance policy)
- Insurance certificate
- V5c
- Driving licences
- Hi viz vests (4)
- Breathalyser kit
- Breakdown warning triangle
- Medical kit
- Checked headlights need no correction stickers etc (LED type - totally flat beams)
- Passports
- NHS Covid Pass certificates for travel
- Medical cards EHIC / UHIC
- Euro adaptor for electric hook up
- Spare key
- Chilled water in fridge for the journey
- Beer in fridge for use on arrival !!
- Travel insurance - all travelling (annual policy) [edit]

Have we missed anything??
That looks very comprehensive, we're out in France at present and have just about all you list except the breathalyser kits which as far as I know are no-longer required. I do carry a small amount of engine oil just to top up if needed but I never have, that used to come in a pouch with a new van at one time.
I also ensure that I can at lease duplicate any maps, satnav or site location data in case one fails.

A word of caution, watch the French speed limits, they seem to be even more variable than ever and I'm told that there are a large number of unmarked radar vehicles about.

This website may be of use to you and other readers https://www.motorhomingfrance.co.uk/

A word of caution, watch the French speed limits, they seem to be even more variable than ever and I'm told that there are a large number of unmarked radar vehicles about.
As I recall, when they changed the national single-carriageway limit from 90 to 80kph they didn't change all the signs straight away. When I was hoofing it through France in May this year there seemed to be a lot of 90kph signs still up, maybe they are definitive on those road sections but then again maybe not!

Also, in wet weather the 80 limit becomes 70.

As I recall, when they changed the national single-carriageway limit from 90 to 80kph they didn't change all the signs straight away. When I was hoofing it through France in May this year there seemed to be a lot of 90kph signs still up, maybe they are definitive on those road sections but then again maybe not!

Also, in wet weather the 80 limit becomes 70.
I did post this previously, but the French Departments are able to opt out of the 80kph limits on some or all of their roads. This makes it very confusing. I would advise sticking to 80kph unless otherwise signposted.

I did post this previously, but the French Departments are able to opt out of the 80kph limits on some or all of their roads. This makes it very confusing. I would advise sticking to 80kph unless otherwise signposted.
Waze satnav - it will tell you the local speed limit. (but remember -10kph less when its raining).

I had recent experience with RAC European cover (and I'd guess that's what VW Assistance uses also). Awful. Completely failed to secure us a hire vehicle for onward travel. Agreed initially to repatriate our vehicle (jammed gearbox - not a Cali) but a week later they attempted to renege, on basis of ridiculous small print in a document I'd never seen. Fortunately the RAC cover was through my insurer who spent a week fighting RAC and won the battle on my behalf. But RAC's position was cynical attempt to avoid liability for about £3k repatriation costs. I eventually got the car back six weeks later. Appalling.
In the UK the partner VW use is the AA, but I don’t know what the situation in Europe is - perhaps anyone based in France reading this could advise?

We also have had a poor experience very recently with RAC in the UK. Basically, after waiting 3 hours for a tow truck, the car was picked up and they left 4 of us standing on the roadside at 1:30 in the morning for 2 hours waiting for a taxi that never showed. We were lucky and a passing taxi took pity. We are cancelling our UK policy.

I'm happy to report a very positive experience with Green Flag.

We broke down in Southern France (EGR valve) last month. Using their easy to navigate app, a recovery vehicle arrived within an hour. They agreed to our request to be taken to the nearest VW garage (not the nearest garage). We ended up having to stay at a nearby campsite for 7 nights, having been advised by VW that it was safe to drive a short distance. Also we had to stay in a hotel for 2 nights while they actually did the work. We had to reschedule our Chunnel crossing twice. Green Flag (or rather their European contractor) stayed in touch throughout and were supportive. We submitted a claim form for our expenses on our return to UK and Green Flag paid out in full without quibble within 2 weeks.
:thanks Quote for an annual European policy from Green Flag at £80. As we have VW Roadside Assistance, I think that at this price it’s justified to add a layer of further cover. I can’t justify £290 with Caravan Club, and don’t want the RAC cover.

Do we need an insurance green card?

Is that a new thing?

Is that a new thing?
You might do , depends on your Insurance Company.
You needed one before we joined the EU and whilst EU members you needed one for non-EU travel.
Since leaving some Insurance companies automatically provide one and others you have to ask.
Basically it is a statement in various languages that you have the necessary insurance for certain countries.

Is that a new thing?
New policy docs may state Green card required & 180 days cover etc.

example , LV now state this at renewal, previously they were happy with a phone call to advise going abroad, no green card issued, just noted on your policy .

either way contact you’re insurer before heading off.

Im getting conflicting advice for my family travelling to france this summer in our ocean and wondered if anyone would point me in the direction of what exact documents do i need to take with me travelling on the tunnel and all of us have had 3 vaccines , any help would be gratefully received thank you , looked online and getting more and more confused sorry
Always take enough cash to pay cash for a tank of fuel. I once arrived at a motorway service area to see a sign that said that the credit card system was not working, cash only.