Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This is what happens at altitude

How do you vent the tanks? Or is this a dumb question? Do you mean empty them?
The Waste tank has an overflow vent so should be OK.
The water tank? Just open the filler cap , but I think it should be self venting as you don't create a vacuum in the tank when using water.

OK no Cali!
Near Fishtail Mountain, Annapurna Range. 2011 :)
That’s my wife in the rear seat. I’m in another microlight flying next to hers.
Russian pilots. Took off from the main runway at Pokhara airport which was weird.
(No there’s not a window with curtains above the Himalayas :) Reflection on the framed photo)

View attachment 87394
That must have been incredible.

So let's see just how high a California has been, with photo evidence if possible please - our track up the mountain path attachedView attachment 87386
Parking Rhône Glacier (2272 meter):
rhone2.jpg
proof:
rhone.JPG

A couple of days later, Parking Moiry glacier (2325 meter):
moiry3.jpg
proof (a little bit of awning and sliding door):
moiry1.JPG

moiry2.png
Yes, there he/she stands waiting for me to return.

I think the Stelvio Pass is in the region of 2700m. That was a drive and half. Hit by a Swiss boy racer in a souped up Alfa (he was overtaking me on a bend when a cyclist was coming towards us!). The air got a bit blue, but got away with lots of scratches on van and finished the holiday. View from the top was pretty good.

D5CEC57E-7544-48A4-BFF0-C3105012D60C.jpeg

Last edited:
Another problem due to altitude:
Eberspacher boilers are made to operate up to an altitude of 1500 m. (Some info says 1400 m).
Beyond that there would be an altitude kit to install. But i do not see any information from VW on this subject.
Do any of you have experience of this, or good information to share?
My California from 2006 has a Webasto Airtop 3500 ST auxiliary heater. I drow up to 1841m this summer and camped here in Norway. The heater worked fine with no issues…

Best to leave the slide open a smidge when up & down the mountains. Same on the Eurotunnel as that has a large change in air pressure.
I wouldn’t worry about eurotunnel deepest it goes is 250’ that’s not enough to make any real difference

We love challenges don't we? Despite the lack of snow in October 2017 This is the Nyu La Pass, Limi Valley, Nepal. 4950m :) View attachment 87367
IMG_20190804_112736.jpg

A tad higher. On my GS parked in the foreground - Overland UK to India. Would love to take my Cali up there. I think the Cali will manage altitudes and broken roads well. It is the corrugated/washboards that worry me ... as that will shake every bolt loose. Will have a pic with the Cali up there one day (hopefully! :Nailbiting :thumb )

I wouldn’t worry about eurotunnel deepest it goes is 250’ that’s not enough to make any real difference
You certainly do need to worry.

Its not the depth that matters, its the fluctuating air pressure, think of the train as a plug running through the tunnel, you get a build up of pressure in front & low pressure behind it.
Add in positive pressurisation for fresh air / fume extract & the whole dynamic is complicated.

Positive at front negative at the back equals stable in the middle.
positive pressure for air extraction inside, very low diff certainly not enough to be noticeable have never had to clear my ears on the tunnel! There is a more noticeable pressure change of train tunnels on west coast line.
Any pressure change certainly not enough to cause any issues with van water tank.

Any pressure change certainly not enough to cause any issues with van water tank.
Nobody was worried about the water tank, its opening the slide on a portapoti when the pressure outside is lower than when it was shut, can cause a certain amount of shall we call it splash back.

“Don't forget the water and waste tanks. Are they vented. The Waste tank should be.!!!”
As for Porta potty why on earth would be wanting to use it while on the train? What is it 40 mins

As for other porta potty worries using the tunnel, entry on UK side and entry on French side are both pretty much sea level so absolutely no problems

The Waste tank has an overflow vent so should be OK.
The water tank? Just open the filler cap , but I think it should be self venting as you don't create a vacuum in the tank when using water.
Thanks WelshGas

Nobody was worried about the water tank, its opening the slide on a portapoti when the pressure outside is lower than when it was shut, can cause a certain amount of shall we call it splash back.
On the train, the pressure is always going to be higher than lower. Pressure drops as you go up not down so it would not be a problem

On the train, the pressure is always going to be higher than lower. Pressure drops as you go up not down so it would not be a problem
The pressure changes. In the tunnel are nothing to do with altitude & all about aerodynamics of a train moving in a tunnel. The train moving forwards Causes high pressure in front of the train & low pressure behind. Its known as the piston effect and was a major design consideration of the tunnel.

Therefore by the law of physics the pressure in the actual train itself must be equal to overall ambient. Therefore pressure altitude dependant

Pressure in the tunnel at lowest point on a standard 1013 SL day is around 1040. The piston effect is minimised by the pressure relief valves which relieve the high pressure in front of the train to the low pressure areas behind a train in the other tunnel. Therefore overall while in the tunnel the pressure is always higher! Than the pressure at entrance and exit. Ergo no problems with sani LNav splash back

The pressure release ducts are smaller than the bore of the tunnel & only reduce the effect not remove it.

But the overall pressure in the actual train itself is related to the elevation of the tunnel. Therefore higher. Without the equalisation of the high pressure at the front of the train and drop in pressure behind! That’s important in piston theory the px drop is behind! The energy required to propel the train against a positive px ahead and neg behind would be excessive unless it was equalised, eg high to low.
however overall in the tunnel the pressure is higher by around 1 mb per 30feet it’s basics physics

Back