Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This is what happens at altitude

Also happens to bottles on bikes if you take a swig at the bottom or top of a big climb.

Always close the lid, before opening the slide, we can tell from experience...
Best to leave the slide open a smidge when up & down the mountains. Same on the Eurotunnel as that has a large change in air pressure.

Always close the lid, before opening the slide, we can tell from experience...
Exactly the same thing happened to me as we went from France into Andorra, busting for a pee I forgot about the altitude. I’m glad I didn’t want a poo......

• Haha
Reactions: LCD
Works like a dream
.....no worrying about the poop tank
Warm and nice!
If it's cloudy then the lack of juice in the batteries will come

I have to say I was walking. The Chinese drove the odd truck from Tibet to supply some of the Himalayan Nepalese villages. We didn't see any. Judging by some of the wrecks we saw, they didn't fair too well. These roads didn't penetrate very far or connect with 'greater' Nepal. The Chinese will no doubt keep pushing, in the name of trade. So its a bit of a cheat claiming this high pass, no campervan within hundred of miles. :)

I doubt anyone will beat this for altitude, on a road. Salang Pass Afghanistan, 12,723ft. (3,878m). At the time (1977), highest mountain road pass in the world.

View attachment 87361
Not quite as high 2260m, French Alps October 2021 - not sure water tank vent (if fitted) worked as there was a most definate pressure difference when cap opened!20211008_154838.jpg

I have to say I was walking. The Chinese drove the odd truck from Tibet to supply some of the Himalayan Nepalese villages. We didn't see any. Judging by some of the wrecks we saw, they didn't fair too well. These roads didn't penetrate very far or connect with 'greater' Nepal. The Chinese will no doubt keep pushing, in the name of trade. So its a bit of a cheat claiming this high pass, no campervan within hundred of miles. :)
I can 'cheat' too - very high in Nepal somewhere, 1976.

Mountainsb.jpg

So let's see just how high a California has been, with photo evidence if possible please - our track up the mountain path attachedScreenshot_20211009-092926_Strava.jpg

We love challenges don't we? Despite the lack of snow in October 2017 This is the Nyu La Pass, Limi Valley, Nepal. 4950m :) View attachment 87367
Cool photo. Did something similar in a Land Cruiser between Lhasa to Kathmandu around 2001, back when the road was mostly like this, I think the highest point was Thong La pass at 5150 meters. Such a great trip.

OK no Cali!
Near Fishtail Mountain, Annapurna Range. 2011 :)
That’s my wife in the rear seat. I’m in another microlight flying next to hers.
Russian pilots. Took off from the main runway at Pokhara airport which was weird.
(No there’s not a window with curtains above the Himalayas :) Reflection on the framed photo)

E1D5167A-676A-4BA0-89A9-99457C978030.jpeg

Last edited:
Another problem due to altitude:
Eberspacher boilers are made to operate up to an altitude of 1500 m. (Some info says 1400 m).
Beyond that there would be an altitude kit to install. But i do not see any information from VW on this subject.
Do any of you have experience of this, or good information to share?

Don't forget the water and waste tanks. Are they vented. The Waste tank should be.
How do you vent the tanks? Or is this a dumb question? Do you mean empty them?

Back