Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare Wheel - Should I Have One?!

Well thanks for all the valuable feedback, I now have a 17 inch wheel fitted underneath which my VW gave me for free as had a few lying around from where people had upgraded (was probably mine!).

Luckily I have off road parking so nobody can steal it yet but given all the comments about theft my next move is some sort of lock.

So today's dumb question.....

Looks to me like the security devices on offer are effectively a replacement bolt similar to a "locking wheel nut" where the head of the bolt is the wrong shape for a normal spanner thus requiring the locking bolt adaptor ...... which in theory only you own. I've never understood this whole "locking wheel nut" thing as seems to me (to use an analogy) like buying a padlock from a company that make them all with the same key. So I guess that is my question, is every locking wheel nut unique or is one simply making the assumption that theives are just opportunistic little towrags and not bright enough to go and purchase (or steal) a locking nut adaptor?

Well thanks for all the valuable feedback, I now have a 17 inch wheel fitted underneath which my VW gave me for free as had a few lying around from where people had upgraded (was probably mine!).

Luckily I have off road parking so nobody can steal it yet but given all the comments about theft my next move is some sort of lock.

So today's dumb question.....

Looks to me like the security devices on offer are effectively a replacement bolt similar to a "locking wheel nut" where the head of the bolt is the wrong shape for a normal spanner thus requiring the locking bolt adaptor ...... which in theory only you own. I've never understood this whole "locking wheel nut" thing as seems to me (to use an analogy) like buying a padlock from a company that make them all with the same key. So I guess that is my question, is every locking wheel nut unique or is one simply making the assumption that theives are just opportunistic little towrags and not bright enough to go and purchase (or steal) a locking nut adaptor?
Normally a wheel bolt maker has a range of 5 or 6 Bolts/Nuts each with its own key. Now with wheels the Bolt/Nut is normally recessed so you have to have the correct " Key " socket, or sacrifice a suitable socket by jamming it onto the Locking Bolt/Nut.

On many vehicles that have an external Spare wheel with external Bolts/Nuts, the head is not recessed so it is very easy to use a Mole Grips or Pipe Wrench to grip and compress the head of the Locking Bolt/Nut to remove it. The Spare Safe sold on the Forum Shop provides a shroud for the Locking Bolt so you have to use the required Key socket as you cannot get Mole Grips etc: onto the bolt.

It will not determine a prepared thief, but will certainly deter the opportunistic Druggy who wants cash for his next fix.

Back